IGNORED

Atari Flashback X Deluxe

9 hours ago, Dr. Ferro said:

The Deluxe popped up when I searched for the X on Google. The only apparent difference between it and the normal X is the addition of 10 "bonus" games; the Deluxe still seems to have wired controllers, no SD slot, no HDMI cable, and no paddles included.

The only difference is the addition of 10 games. I'm still waiting on the official release of all the game lists for the 2019 products.

9 hours ago, garyd97 said:

Wireless joysticks would be a downgrade. I am with you on the cable.

Uh, no.  Wireless joysticks is an upgrade because it increases the range.  You are not limited to sit by the console.  Have you tried the FB9 wireless joysticks?  They are much improved upon the previous "line of sight" joysticks.  The new ones uses a different technology that doesn't require you to point the joystick at the console like a remote control.

9 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Uh, no.  Wireless joysticks is an upgrade because it increases the range.  You are not limited to sit by the console.  Have you tried the FB9 wireless joysticks?  They are much improved upon the previous "line of sight" joysticks.  The new ones uses a different technology that doesn't require you to point the joystick at the console like a remote control.

There is a lag with those garbage wireless controllers. The cord is plenty long. Do you need to leave the room to play? The console this is designed after had wired joysticks if I recall correctly.

1 hour ago, garyd97 said:

There is a lag with those garbage wireless controllers. The cord is plenty long. Do you need to leave the room to play? The console this is designed after had wired joysticks if I recall correctly.

I have no lag on mine. They work perfectly. Because they are wireless, I can sit on my couch to play. Its more comfortable than the floor. Of course you can use both and have the best of both worlds. Anyways the only bad thing about the FB9 that I can find is the way it handles paddles.

59 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

I have no lag on mine. They work perfectly. Because they are wireless, I can sit on my couch to play. Its more comfortable than the floor. Of course you can use both and have the best of both worlds. Anyways the only bad thing about the FB9 that I can find is the way it handles paddles.

I'm with you. I think the wireless controllers are great. Not having that option is a big step backward for me. Why can't we have both?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 12:36 AM, atarifan88 said:

These seem to use a ‘locked down’ wireless protocol — probably Bluetooth.  A problem I came across was interference leading to severe dropouts and lag on the P1 controller.  This was on a second unit that I bought for my sister.  I found that swapping my P1 with this unit fixed the issue reasonably well.

I disagree that wireless is ideal for anyone wanting to get the best play experience.  Even when working well, these joysticks do occasionally dropout or lag noticeably.  At least you retain the option to use wired controllers, and some of the Chinese copies of the originals on AliExpress are quite decently built.

Wireless is fine. No lag with my FB8's! And unlike in the 70s, people these days have big tvs and big rooms, so standard wired joysticks really aren't long enough for someone to play games without other people tripping on the cable. Especially on the FBX, which seems to have the joystick ports on the back like the real 2600.