IGNORED

Venture Reloaded

Omegamatrix

I love this.  Venture was one of the few Christmas morning VCS cartridges I received as a kid, and I have fond memories of it (even though it is lacking in hindsight).  I was just getting into D&D at the time and Venture was the closest thing I had to a computerized version of it.  Your version adds a lot of things that I would have wished for back then to make the game more interesting and replayable.

Thanks, and great job!?

• Like 2

On 12/15/2019 at 12:16 AM, Omegamatrix said:

Venture Reloaded release candidate 3 is now live, and available in the first post of this thread.

Thank you Omegamatrix for this release.

This new version is amazing:  a true Masterpiece, congratulations!

I made the best score I ever done so far, and I'll keep going on trainning.

1577433202_VentureReloaded(RC3)_1024.thumb.png.4d6ad1d92eed2ca0adfeca737a4ec2ab.png

I've got one suggestion:

Will it be possible to have the ability when the treasures screen is displayed to press the fire button to go back immediatly into the action?

This is not really a big deal, but when playing for a long time and when restarting the game again and again, having to wait before entering in the game is a little bit frustrating.

Maybe this question may requires a poll?

Thank you,

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hello Chris,

Thank you for enjoying the new version. I hope you keep trying as I would like to see you get all the treasures!

I will consider the firebutton option, but as it stands right now this would be trickier to implement than it seems, and the design of it is actually how I intended it. However, I will consider it more.

The issue is that there is a lot of sequencing in place when Winky does his movement to get the arrow, and each step has different processes built in that get out of step if started early. There are differences in the treasure screen depending on whether it's a new game, life lost, level completed, game over, and high score display. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:54 AM, Omegamatrix said:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for enjoying the new version. I hope you keep trying as I would like to see you get all the treasures!

I will consider the firebutton option, but as it stands right now this would be trickier to implement than it seems, and the design of it is actually how I intended it. However, I will consider it more.

Hi Omegamatrix,

I improved my score but completing the quest is a true challenge for me (I'am an average game player).

Anyway playing this game is very fun! ?

87201796_VentureReloaded(RC3)_6_1024.thumb.png.5f3644c2cc27d071e60df8a9c5a6a489.png

I know few things about VCS 2600 programming but i know how much difficult it could be to modify a Kernel, just to add some instructions due to the CPU and TIA cycles counting (and problably much more things I've no idea about).

So, keeping the same idea to press the fire button while the treasures screen is displayed and trying to make easier to implement this functionality , won't it be possible to check if the fire button is held down only at a particular time: for exemple when the introduction music has just ended and just before the Winky animation sequence starts (when Winky moves to get the bow, and down the stairs)?

If this would be possible it could be a nice compromise: having only half time to wait for the player and maybe it would be easier to code this for you... just  a thought.

fun note: Each time I see the skeletons' moving animation, it make me think how much they have the same way of walking than Charlie Chaplin (this is only my point of view). ?

Cheers.

Edited by Chris2600
typo
  • Like 1

I gather that there is too much stuff happening in the background (variables being transferred as the animation plays) to make a dedicated loop when skipping to keep it within the confines of whatever is left in Rom (which isn't much).

Even a partial jump could work, if part of the intro does not have much going on in such a case.  But keep in mind that this is robbing resources that could be utilized for improvements in the final build.  So I have no problem with this remaining on the back burner.  It's not a very long animation, anyway...and it IS faithful to the arcade original.

• 7 months later...

I just might want to review this on a future episode of the 2600 Edition of The Atari Report, as I do have the ROM already, and stay tuned for this week's episodes (2600 and 5200 Editions, one episode each) in which will be filmed and uploaded later on this week!!!

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 3

I just found out about this hack today from an AtariAge post on Twitter and oh my freakin' gosh this is the Atari 2600 homebrew/hack that I've been waiting for all these years! Growing up my favorite game was Venture on my older brother's ColecoVision, and while I did get an Atari 2600 as an adult I've never owned a ColecoVision so it always kinda bummed me out that the 2600 port of Venture wasn't nearly as good. Still, I love Venture on the 2600 and have absolutely played it to death over the years so as soon as I saw this hack I had to try it out. 

In short, Venture Reloaded is even better than the ColecoVision version of Venture from back in the day and is quite possibly my new favorite game on the Atari 2600! Everything about this hack is just astounding! The new graphics and room transitions are wonderful, I totally dig the arcade accurate treasure screen, and the music is just spot on. The only thing I can think of that could possibly make this a better port would be to give the Winky sprite his bow, but that's really it. Everything else is perfect in my eyes.

Also, I got all the treasures on my first try! :)

DSC09744.thumb.JPG.8c6f77f5e7c84659bf6bf6e19bd0de83.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

I can't wait!  I tried this at PRGE last year and it is really awesome! 

It really is. This is what Venture should have been on the 2600. If you like Venture, you owe it to yourself to check this version out.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

I just found out about this hack today from an AtariAge post on Twitter and oh my freakin' gosh this is the Atari 2600 homebrew/hack that I've been waiting for all these years! Growing up my favorite game was Venture on my older brother's ColecoVision, and while I did get an Atari 2600 as an adult I've never owned a ColecoVision so it always kinda bummed me out that the 2600 port of Venture wasn't nearly as good. Still, I love Venture on the 2600 and have absolutely played it to death over the years so as soon as I saw this hack I had to try it out. 

In short, Venture Reloaded is even better than the ColecoVision version of Venture from back in the day and is quite possibly my new favorite game on the Atari 2600! Everything about this hack is just astounding! The new graphics and room transitions are wonderful, I totally dig the arcade accurate treasure screen, and the music is just spot on. The only thing I can think of that could possibly make this a better port would be to give the Winky sprite his bow, but that's really it. Everything else is perfect in my eyes.

Also, I got all the treasures on my first try! :)

DSC09744.thumb.JPG.8c6f77f5e7c84659bf6bf6e19bd0de83.JPG

Thank you for the kind comments. This project had both highs and lows. Posts like this mean a lot to me, truly. 

I grew up with the Colecovision version too. I've never actually played the arcade version, and everything I learned about it was from Youtube. This hack brings together the Arcade, Colecovision, and 2600 versions sprinkled with some liberties of my own. I'm really glad that you enjoyed it. ?

Getting all the treasures on the first try is impressive. I only wish you had found out about this hack much sooner as I only had a couple of people complete my challenge on the first post. It would certainly have made things more interesting, but great job for getting all the treasures nonetheless.

• Like 6

You know that a 5200 port of this was (temporarily) leaked out (I DO have it but please don't ask me for it) only to see the mods take it down due to the ROM owner's request, of course the poster was immediately banned, and it was only his first post at that! Poor guy. 

Here is that post:

Amazing work Omega!  I always found the 2600 version of Venture to be kind of meh, but you've transformed the game into one of my favorite arcade conversions.  I'm really excited this is getting a cart release, it's a DAY ONE purchase for me!

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 4