IGNORED

Venture Reloaded

Omegamatrix

49 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

[/Spolier] 

VR_HS.jpg

High Score.jpg

Results where achieved on a 4 switch woody, running R2 via UnoCart.  The game played well.  Will try to retest as soon as I can, because I believe it may not have awarded me a bonus life every 30k, when having less than three lives remaining.

Apologize for this 2nd post, but I couldn't seem to get this into post 53.

2 dumb questions from someone who never owned Venture for the 2600 and never really cared for the game back in the day until I went to a Banning pinball thing and just couldn't believe I hadn't played that thing all the time back in the '80s -

1) Looking on eBay, there seems to be 2 versions of the game, an Atari red box version and a Coleco version.  Assuming they are identical, what's with 2 different versions by 2 different companies?  I don't think that's ever happened before, yes?

2) If this is sold through AtariAge at some point will it come with a box and, if so, what will that box look like?  I'd almost want an Atari box but not the later red box version, I never thought those boxes looked as cool as the original day-glo colored Atari boxes, I think a 1st-gen box design (even with a text label!) would be cool and present a 3rd box option for the game.

It is very cool that this hack was made to right the wrongs of the original version.  Will there be extra game options included, like alternate room shapes or extra levels or something?  Just thinking out loud, remembering old Atari carts with 60+ gameplay options.

19 minutes ago, ledzep said:

1) Looking on eBay, there seems to be 2 versions of the game, an Atari red box version and a Coleco version.  Assuming they are identical, what's with 2 different versions by 2 different companies?  I don't think that's ever happened before, yes?

Actually, it happened several times... in the case of the Nintendo game titles, the license switched from Coleco to Atari, which decided to put the two Donkey Kong games out with red labels (despite everyone already having it by then). As you saw, it happened to Exidy's Venture, where Coleco had the license first. This also happened to Parker Bros cartridges too -- Gottlieb's Q*bert, for example.

So yes, they are identical when it comes to the software.

kongs.jpg

qube.jpg

Edited by themushroom
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, themushroom said:

Actually, it happened several times... in the case of the Nintendo game titles, the license switched from Coleco to Atari, which decided to put the two Donkey Kong games out with red labels (despite everyone already having it by then). As you saw, it happened to Exidy's Venture, where Coleco had the license first. This also happened to Parker Bros cartridges too -- Gottlieb's Q*bert, for example.

So yes, they are identical when it comes to the software.

Wow, way more times than I assumed.

I like the design of the other companies' boxes/carts.  It would be cool if whoever makes new Atari cart shells could make a run of Coleco, Parker Bros., Imagic, etc. shells once in a while for homebrew options.  Same with the boxes (wasn't there a racing game a few years ago sold on AtariAge that had the Coleco box style?).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Wow, way more times than I assumed.

I like the design of the other companies' boxes/carts.  It would be cool if whoever makes new Atari cart shells could make a run of Coleco, Parker Bros., Imagic, etc. shells once in a while for homebrew options.  Same with the boxes (wasn't there a racing game a few years ago sold on AtariAge that had the Coleco box style?).

Turbo... has a Coleco shell too.

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=960

On 11/11/2019 at 2:18 AM, Omegamatrix said:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your feedback. The file I made was what we call a "PAL60" version. It is meant to play on an international TV. There are several hacks made for PAL60, more can be found on PAL60 roms here:

Thank you! I didn't know the PAL60 format.

Now, I understand why it didn't work, so I plugged my VCS to my old CRT TV which is more tolerant on frequencies and it works like a charm. :)

Here is what the game looks like in SECAM (8 colors palette):

06.thumb.jpg.d235a2379f7c5f4eeafa2fb687df744a.jpg07.thumb.jpg.0a2b0db036a421d83ab637f22756ddf5.jpg08.thumb.jpg.3ca99f716ab8936fb58edb5833c68590.jpg

I assume converting the game to PAL 50 Hz should be a lot of work? Or maybe that is just impossible depending on the way it is programmed (I mean for technical reasons)?

Anyway I'll try the RC2 as soon as possible :D

Thanks again for your work!

Cheers

10 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Ah yes, I bought a copy of that, too.  That would be perfect for a full release of Venture.

Oh, and Ladybug special edition was also sold in the AA Store. But mentioned you thought it was a racing game. Looping and Cabbage Patch Kids were also made with a Coleco cart (CPUWIZ's handiwork?) and pretty sure Marc O. had made Coleco style boxes for them. So that's 4 at least. 

There's been quite a few DK's that gave up their shell for something else.   ?

5 hours ago, save2600 said:

Oh, and Ladybug special edition was also sold in the AA Store. But mentioned you thought it was a racing game. Looping and Cabbage Patch Kids were also made with a Coleco cart (CPUWIZ's handiwork?) and pretty sure Marc O. had made Coleco style boxes for them. So that's 4 at least. 

There's been quite a few DK's that gave up their shell for something else.   ?

Ya, well, I don't have a loyalty to Coleco like I do to Atari but I hate to hear about old games recycling their cart shells regardless of system (unless you're talking about a Shittiest Game Of All Time sacrificing itself to house a better homebrew), I wish someone could make new shells, just a run once in a while since I can't see a huge demand for them like normal 2600 shells.

6 hours ago, Chris2600 said:

Hi,

My first test of Venture RC2:

I had a lot of fun with the game, I collected only 19 treasures and found no bugs so far.

The music sounds better now.

I especially loved the Cyclops room special event.

Awesome job!

Hello Chris,

I'm glad you got the cart working. Yes, there will only be a NTSC and PAL60 version of Venture Reloaded.

I'm super happy that you liked the Cyclops special event. That almost didn't make it in, but I made a big effort to free up enough bytes to do so. It's rewarding to know it and the Spider room special event were worth it.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I've got one minor graphics suggestion, I would prefer if the question marks look like this:

490153679_VentureReloaded(RC2)PAL60_1b.thumb.png.cd7f641de708406b1bd1473be1c03c77.png

rather than that, where they seem to be somewhat 'flattned':

1635839986_VentureReloaded(RC2)PAL60_1.thumb.png.5dcf42c965badefd4e9c46c49400919d.png

It is only a matter of personnal preferences, there's no critistism here.

What is your point of view?

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 hours ago, Chris2600 said:

Yes, Exactly.

I should have post larger picture; the difference is more obvious when enlarging the screenshots.

Yeah, I was playing the "find the differences between these two pictures" going back and forth not seeing the difference until I zoomed in a bit.

But once you know what to look for, the top picture looks a tad bit better

Gave it a try and was fun but the controls were a bit sticky for me. I had an issue in the 1st level snake room where left of the top right exit I got caught on the wall. I also got caught on a corner in the 2nd level troll room but that could have been me as I haven't played the 2600 of Venture in decades and am used to hugging the wall to escape if needed. Otherwise, as stated, pretty fun.

I tried it on the current Stella using a Xbox360 controller with the d-pad (using the stick seems to make Winky go wonky).

I have been playing this for the last week on my 2600, courtesy of the Harmony cart version, and I have been having a blast with it!

I enjoy playing the original 2600 Venture, but this is is unquestionably a huge improvement on it.

I have not managed to collect all the treasures yet, but I am getting closer.

Excellent work on this hack!