IGNORED

Coco 2 Memory Question: Only reports about 8k?

DistantStar001

I just got my second Coco 2 from eBay.  It seems to boot correctly to "EXTENDED COLOR BASIC 1.1", but when I type "PRINT MEM" into BASIC, I get "8487" in response.  I don't think that this is normal, since my other Coco responds "14631" to the same command (although that one boots to "COLOR BASIC 1.2").  

To my knowledge, an unmodified Coco 2 should have either 16k or 64k installed, with some of that used up by BASIC, but I'm getting a little over 8k.  

I was able to boot from a cartridge (Dungeons of Daggorath), and I successfully tested the cartridge on both computers, and all other functions seem to work correctly.  I should also note that this new Coco appears to be a later revision when compared to my first.  So am I good, or should I be looking for a bad RAM chip?

48 minutes ago, Calibus said:

Pretty rusty here, but if I recall, by default 4 pages of memory are allocated in ECB.   Try "PCLEAR 0"

and then check memory.

Sounds like this is a 16K unit.

OK!  Thank you! I figured it out.  It's "PCLEAR 1" on the Coco 2, and I was able to confirm that it is indeed a 16k machine.  Looks like I have another working Coco!  Thanks again for the help.