IGNORED

SD-Max & Fastsio question..

Mclaneinc

I read a reply to me by Mr Robot re how to set up the fast SIO on the SDrive.atr config but after setting it to faster rates it remained the same so does it need a different OS / Cart to make it work. I kind of hoped the actual SD-Max would work like a Happy and handle that side internally.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SD-Max and if I do need extra hardware to get the speed boost then so be it, I'll still use the SD-Max 100%.

Thanks...

Edit: Its on a bog standard 130XE....

Edited by Mclaneinc

I'm not sure of the absolute speed capabilities of the stock SIO driver built into the OS; it will certainly handle 56Kb/s, but it has no hope of handling the very low divisors supported by SDrive and other SIO2xxx devices (127Kb/s and such).

If you use SpartaDOS X or another DOS which provides its own RAM-based SIO driver, you will have some success but obviously this isn't much use when it comes to booting game ATRs, etc, and the SDX SIO driver tends to experience difficulties with divisor 0 anyway. So you really need a high-speed patched OS or PBI-hosted high-speed driver.

Other than trying to run a RAM-based version of Hias' high-speed patched OS, your options are burning the ROM OS to an EPROM and replacing the masked ROM in the machine (or getting someone else to do that for you), or installing an U1MB, which has an implementation of Hias' excellent high-speed driver built into the PBI BIOS. This works with any OS which supports PBI devices, and since U1MB itself supports multiple switchable operating systems, it's a rather flexible solution. I run divisor 0 100 per cent of the time with all my U1MB machines via SIO2PC (USB) and RespeQt, and find it to be totally reliable, even when performing firmware flash updates, etc.

I don't own any SDrive hardware, but I assume it will handle divisor 0. It would be perfectly possible for the device's XEX loader to include a high-speed SIO driver of its own (I have no idea if it does), but once you get into ATRs anyway, you're going to want some OS support in order to use the highest possible speeds.

Another solution is Syscheck II by @tf_hh: this enables you to run any ROM-based OS you like externally without even taking the lid off the machine.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

Thanks both of you, apart from an AVG cart I don't have any fancy extra hardware and as you can tell my knowledge of real hardware has some what dimmed (spoilt by Altirra :) ) so 'll look at SyscheckII (cheers Jon) and I know the rom you mean Xrbrevin (ta muchly), I'll mull it over and see if its all worth the hassle, I'd love the faster loading but I don't want to much fiddling around (yeah, I want that cake and to eat it too).

Again, thank you guys, very much appreciated!

I'm pretty sure the 130XE is a non socketed OS so I'd have to desolder it and its been about 15yrs since I picked up a soldering iron, since then I have needed glasses, I could do it but I'll give it a thought and get back to you, can I say though that its a very kind and appreciated offer.

Its weird, I worked for an electronics company, did the Heathkit soldering course, built loads of kits including my 300 baud (super speedy) modem and er put chips in a LOT of PSX's (that bit I'm not so proud of now) so I've got the needed skills and the tools but I'm so worried about doing it?

Go figure that one out...

Area 51, the loft :) indeed......My man cave is the bedroom and i'm stuck in a tiny corner of it, barely room to swing a cat but felix, our lump of a cat would probably not like that..Sod that, he's fatter than me...

As far as I believe you can just swap the OS for a burnt OS but not 100%...Again I appreciate the offer and will give it some thought....

Paul..

Edit: Ps, I've written to Jurgen to see if he has any Sysinfo's left as that would be a dead handy bit of kit AND do what I need (thanks Jon...)

If not I may be giving you a PM Mimo :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Hi Paul, 

No problem, just let me know if you want one.

I remember now just burning a reverse basic ROM for a 600xl years ago.

With an XE you can pretty much guarantee a desolder job being needed.

My eyes are shot too, so I don't like soldering anymore ☹️

5 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

there is an OSROM image on the forums here somehwere that has high speed SIO, fast math pack and reverse option basic. i use it in my daily driver 800XL and its good

Patched XL/XE rev 2 OS with Hias' HSIO patch, reverse basic, shift-reset coldstart, and fast math pack: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206880-130xe-reverse-option-key-for-basic/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3944284

All of the above, but rev 3 OS with patched atari self test to properly test the XE extended 64K: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/206880-130xe-reverse-option-key-for-basic/?do=findComment&comment=4333535

4 hours ago, mimo said:

Would I be correct in thinking that the high speed OS could be burned on to an EPROM and then just swapped for the original.

Yes, a 27c128 type EPROM programmed with an Atari OS is a functionally and physically 100% compatible drop-in replacement.

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I'm pretty sure the 130XE is a non socketed OS so I'd have to desolder it...

Unfortunately, this is true. I have a handful of XE's for which I'm also currently facing this problem... If I go through the work to desolder and socket the OS chip, I'd probably want to install at minimum one of the 4-in-1 os switcher adapter PCB's where you can put 4 OS's on a single 27c512 EPROM, switchable with an external switch.

I've evily considered a faster option - just cutting out the original XE OS ROM ? but a working mask OS rom is still useful to keep as a spare, or for someone else for repair or testing...

3 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I've written to Jurgen to see if he has any Sysinfo's left as that would be a dead handy bit of kit AND do what I need

Yes the Sys-check will supplant the internal OS with 4 switchable OS's on the external flash ROM. Out of the box one of the OS's is an XL rev 2 OS with Hias's HSIO patch. You can also flash other OS's to it via the Atari itself. It also has 512KB of external extended RAM to make any PBI or ECI capable machine 576KB.

His project PDF is supposedly regularly updated with qty available. Direct link: http://www.van-radecke.de/STUFF/tfhh_HW_info.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Nez, I checked it about an hour ago and it said 1 and End of Life afterwards so I've asked for that one and awaiting a reply and instructions :)

The notion of a tester that adds ram and a selection of OS's just seems an ideal item and while I have the money I best get it as all the new year bills are around the corner....

Back to being flat broke after this, a way of life I'm almost used to :)

3 hours ago, mimo said:

My eyes are shot too, so I don't like soldering anymore ☹️

At 51 this year, I haven’t been able to focus up close properly for 6-8 years at least. I use a lighted magnifier headset for my soldering work. Best investment a tinkerer can make in my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

At 51 this year, I haven’t been able to focus up close properly for 6-8 years at least. I use a lighted magnifier headset for my soldering work. Best investment a tinkerer can make in my opinion. 

I've been trying to hide from my decrepitude, I guess I'll have to invest ☹️

• Like 1

I had to buy a mobile phone and a USB microscope because of my poor close up sight...The microscope was a cheap one but its really handy, the phone is because some bank accounts are using an extra bit of security where you enter a number generated by them, they presume every one has a mobile so its an app but as I didn't have a phone they sent me a little key fob device that generates the number, trouble is that its so small and unreadable with my eye's AND I lose my glasses all over the place :)

Brought a phone and its got a finger print reader on the back so all I need is to use that to log in...Piece of cake....Must get spare glasses...Still hate mobiles though :)

24 minutes ago, JR> said:

I was nearsighted all my life. Turns out its a good thing when your eyes start going.  I can still see up close almost as well as when I was young. Just have to take off my glasses for that now.

ditto.

One problem, though.  I forget where I put my glasses.

-SteveS

42 minutes ago, JR> said:

I was nearsighted all my life. Turns out its a good thing when your eyes start going.  I can still see up close almost as well as when I was young. Just have to take off my glasses for that now

same here!

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

rev 3 OS with patched atari self test to properly test the XE extended 64K

thanks - this is better than the one ive been using. time for an upgrade ?

oh i forgot to mention the SHIFT-RESET feature - its v.convenient, especially so for expanded RAM systems

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

I checked it about an hour ago and it said 1 and End of Life afterwards

The XE only version is EOL but the XL/XE Standard-Version is still available, only lists 1 in stock. Cost is 45 EURO + shipping.

Unfortunately, from the pictures, this version doesn't appear to support external parallel devices. The pictures of the XL and XE versions both show external PBI.

Syscheck now ordered, poor Jurgen had just got back from the ABBUC meeting which was 400km from home...Managed to nab the last one :)

Very happy, more ram, more OS's and if if the XE goes wrong I have a guide to the problem.....Nice finish to a bad day where I got a parking ticket for one half of a wheel covering a ramp...Bloody dictator..

• Like 2