IGNORED

Link's Awakening- the Good Short Port

digdugnate

I'll preface this with saying I'm sorry for posting on the Switch subforum so much- the Switch is the console I spend 95% of my gaming time on.  :)

My son got Link's Awakening for his birthday, so naturally when he wasn't playing it Dad wanted a try.  I feel like the port is really well done! The graphics are fantastic, the musical score is superb, the controls are top-notch except for a certain section with a certain dungeon that has a metal ball and makes you run through closing blocks.  ;) I don't really even mind the slight blurring at the top and haven't really noticed any frame drops on my Switch.   I tend to play in 1-2 hour chunks, and I've found the game is really good for bite-size gaming; this makes a lot of sense in context from originating as a Game Boy game, I think.

If you're on the fence about buying (or potentially re-buying if you've already played the Game Boy version), just be aware that the game is SHORT.  I've been playing it off-and-on for about a week (maybe 15 hours-ish?) and story-wise the only thing I have left to do is get the final instrument and wake the Wind Fish.  They did add the dungeon-create stuff, and of course there's hunting down items to trade, heart pieces, songs, and seashells, but I already have the vast majority of the songs, all but 10 seashells, and most of the heart pieces.  

A good short port!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

I want this game quite a bit, but I just don't think I can justify $60 for it.

Maybe if it were closer to $30-45 I'd give in. Just don't feel like dropping $60 on a really nice upgrade for a game that essentially is the same. 

i really think this is the crux of the decision.  i've already played it on the Game Boy, so it doesn't tread a lot of new ground to the Switch port.  Since i'm on my Switch all the time I wanted to get that out there in case any ne else was on the fence :)

• Like 1

My playtime shows "more than 10 hours," after I finished it.  Not sure what that means in SwitchTime, but some other things show "more than 15 hours" so I'm guessing I didn't hit the 15 hour mark.   I thought the timing felt about right, though.  I liked it a lot, but was ready to move on.  

Related -- I just finished Bloodstained last night.  It took just over 18 hours.   I loved it overall, but after about 12 or so, I started thinking "just wrap it up already - you're starting to get a bit repetitive."   After playing through Ys 8 and DragonQuest 11 back to back, I guess I needed a good, short playthrough.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Bloodstained for awhile, but after I accidentally got the bad ending by just doing a normal playthrough (in other words, not TRYING to beat it, just doing the normal room exploration stuff), I was a bit turned off. I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually but that was kind of a "that's enough for now" moment. 

• Like 1

I did that too, on Bloodstained.  I had about 40% of the map completed and got that ending and thought "that ain't right."   On the PC, though, it just starts you back outside that room and lets you continue on, loading the save right before you fought him, so no big deal.  Is that not the case on consoles too?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought it, I thought about not, as I have the dmg and color version, both of which were $30 titles new. This is the big hang up for most people I assume. It's mostly exactly the same game, you'll beat it in under 20 hours, probably closer to ten. But it's beautiful, and sounds great. It'll depend on you weather it's worth $60. $30 would have been a no brainer. Especially being imo one of the best defining 2d Zelda titles.

Edited by Video

The price is a hang up for me, but also the time it would take even if it is like a 10-20hr game.  I've not once finished it since the DX release dropped, so I'd be a long play with that game.  But as much as the price is a hang up, I've got Dragon Quest 11S going so that's a road block to commit too.  I figure I may end up with it towards the end of the year anyway so price won't be a direct factor at least.