IGNORED

1200xl UAV idiots installation guide?

mimo

8 minutes ago, mimo said:

Thanks @DrVenkman But thats for Ultimate 1meg not UAV isn't it?

Jeez, yes. I’m an idiot. ? (ALSO: I need more coffee ...). I’m going to delete my post to avoid cluttering the forum with confusing info. 

I’ve got a UAV in two of my 1200XL’s. I’ve got pics of that around somewhere. I’ll try to post them later. 

1 hour ago, mimo said:

Thanks @cwc I have read that thread several times and I'm not fully confident, it's not detailed enough for me with regard to the 1200xl

I never did find my photos for you. What specifically isn’t detailed enough? First you remove the 4050 hex buffer chip, install the UAV into the existing socket. You then need to solder one wire from the leg of a resistor to pick up the Color signal and run that wire to the UAV terminal block. For the UAV outputs, you cut or desolder two ferrite bead inductors and lift them to isolate the DIN jack from the existing connections. You solder wires for the Composite and Luma lines from the UAV and connect those to the UAV terminal block. For the Chroma output you connect a wire to the UAV terminal block and run it to pin 5 (IIRC) of the DIN jack. You can solder to the back of the DIN or run the wire under the board and solder to the pin where it’s soldered through the via. 

42 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I never did find my photos for you. What specifically isn’t detailed enough? First you remove the 4050 hex buffer chip, install the UAV into the existing socket. You then need to solder one wire from the leg of a resistor to pick up the Color signal and run that wire to the UAV terminal block. For the UAV outputs, you cut or desolder two ferrite bead inductors and lift them to isolate the DIN jack from the existing connections. You solder wires for the Composite and Luma lines from the UAV and connect those to the UAV terminal block. For the Chroma output you connect a wire to the UAV terminal block and run it to pin 5 (IIRC) of the DIN jack. You can solder to the back of the DIN or run the wire under the board and solder to the pin where it’s soldered through the via. 

I guess I'm just a bit over cautious about doing this one, 1200XL's aren't easy to find in the UK. It's which end of the resistors/inductors to cut more than anything 

57 minutes ago, mimo said:

It's which end of the resistors/inductors to cut more than anything 

That’s pretty much up to you and whether you want to run the UAV outputs through them or not. If you do, lift the bottom legs (furthest from the DIN jack) and solder your outputs the lifted ends. The signal will travel through the inductors then out to the DIN. If you don’t care, lift the end closest to the DIN and solder the wires to the vacated vias. 

• Like 1

Some pictures of my 1200XL.

(1) Remove 4050 IC (U27) from socket and insert UAV.
(2) Lift the back pins of L1 + L3, and run wires from to the vacated pads to UAV "Luma" and UAV "Comp Video" respectively - See Pic 1 (lower part)

(3) Lift one side of both C103 and C104  - See Pic 1 (upper part)

(4) Run wires from Colour and GND points - See Pic 2 (Colour is the lower point, GND is the upper point) to UAV "Color In" and "GND" respectively

(5) Run a wire from the empty pin on the video DIN connector (J2-5) on the back of the board to UAV "Chroma".

1200XL_Pic1.jpg

1200XL_Pic2.jpg

UAV.jpg

Edited by cwc
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 8:07 PM, cwc said:

Some pictures of my 1200XL.

(5) Run a wire from the empty pin on the video DIN connector (J2-5) on the back of the board to UAV "Chroma".

1200XL_Pic1.jpg

Hi!  Another Idiot here --  for Step 5 -- "The empty pin on the video DIN connector" - I can't tell which are empty and which are full?? :) ..  I *think* Chroma is the end pin from the right?   (the one on the right sticking out the most, or just right of the center pin) 

5 minutes ago, skr said:

Frome the (German) ATARI Profibuch (revised mainly by GoodbyteXL) which is free for download there:

http://www.abbuc.de/mitgliedschaft/downloads/viewdownload/5-public-downloads/1635-das-atari-profibuch

Monitor.thumb.jpg.0ecdb5b8700f747667ad1be8490839d4.jpg

Thanks -  That's actually what I was looking at -- just humor me for a double check :) -- to connect from the inside of the Atari, I'm soldering to the 4th pin from left / 2nd pin from right?  

5 minutes ago, Xebec said:

Thanks -  That's actually what I was looking at -- just humor me for a double check :) -- to connect from the inside of the Atari, I'm soldering to the 4th pin from left / 2nd pin from right?  

Yes, that is correct.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Huge props to @cwc and others in this thread. I was able to use the instructions and very helpful photos to successfully install a UAV in my 1200XL over the weekend. I took some photos along the way, and have annotated them. (More pics can only help, right?) ;)

01-stock-mb-annotated.jpg

04-4050-removed-bare-socket.jpg

05-uav-board-wires-jumpers.jpg

06-l1-l3-snip.jpg07-L1-L3-wires.thumb.png.cf8b4fa13f1744d03f1892cb8327b553.png

07.5-c103-104-snip.jpg

08-r74-color-r38-gnd.jpg

09-chroma-feed-wire.jpg

10-chroma-to-pin5-din.jpg

11-svideo-success.jpg

12-full-board-after-uav-mod.jpg

Edited by gollumer
Incorrect photo