IGNORED

AtariMax 8Mbit Flash cart with SDX 4.49c and all OSS languages

ebiguy

On 4/22/2020 at 5:12 PM, ebiguy said:

Bravo !!!

And it means that something is wrong with one file in the delivery.

The bad file is first_part449.bin which I forgot to update in the previous delivery.

This shows that I should automate the zip file creation to avoid this kind of error.

So again, here is the full package.

My8MbitFlash_SDX449_OSS_v10.zip 1.11 MB · 10 downloads

@a8isa1, you don't need to customize again the Romdisk449.atr, you can go on with the one you already prepared.

This file has not changed.

Just get all others to be sure everything is consistent this time.

EDIT: I forgot one important thing: thank you for using this package and sorry for the time you spent investigating on this issue.

I am happy if you find this SDX setup useful!

I did put my updated image on the cartridge.  Seems to work fine but I only put in a few minutes of effort.  I don't know when I will next have an extended session but I'm sure I will enjoy it when I do.

Thanks for this composition, ebiguy!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 9:27 PM, a8isa1 said:

I did put my updated image on the cartridge.  Seems to work fine but I only put in a few minutes of effort.  I don't know when I will next have an extended session but I'm sure I will enjoy it when I do.

Thanks for this composition, ebiguy!

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/297726-atarimax-8mbit-flash-cart-with-sdx-449c-and-all-oss-languages/page/5/#comments

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=722408

I was wondering if you had any luck getting this final version latest version (or earlier version) to work with the ultimate cart?

I was able to get them sort of to work, by converting the games.bin and the romdisk.bin files

With the online converter at:

http://www.thebrewingacademy.net/ROM2CAR.htm

I tried both files that aren’t for the XEGS, and one of them sort of loads

But it doesn’t complete loading properly.  (the O: drive doesn’t work)

I can get Spartados x to work by itself with the ultimate cart (I think the maxflash 1mb version)   In this version the O: drive does work

I have a mostly stock Atari 800, but I have a 512k ramboard installed (made by Jeffrey Worley) and the sparta dos x by itself ver4.49 does work and the ramdisk does work ok  (the 'stock' version of spartadosx)

http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download_release

maxflash 1mb version

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atari8bitcomputers/permalink/3017397114964441/

Any feedback you have would be helpful, if you can, thanks

Stuart

4 hours ago, stuarts said:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/297726-atarimax-8mbit-flash-cart-with-sdx-449c-and-all-oss-languages/page/5/#comments

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=722408

I was wondering if you had any luck getting this final version latest version (or earlier version) to work with the ultimate cart?

I was able to get them sort of to work, by converting the games.bin and the romdisk.bin files

With the online converter at:

http://www.thebrewingacademy.net/ROM2CAR.htm

I tried both files that aren’t for the XEGS, and one of them sort of loads

I can get Spartados x to work by itself with the ultimate cart (I think the maxflash 1mb version)   In this version the O: drive does work

I have a mostly stock Atari 800, but I have a 512k ramboard installed (made by Jeffrey Worley) and the sparta dos x by itself ver4.49 does work and the ramdisk does work ok  (the 'stock' version of spartadosx)

http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download_release

maxflash 1mb version

https://www.facebook.com/groups/atari8bitcomputers/permalink/3017397114964441/

Any feedback you have would be helpful, if you can, thanks

Stuart

I hope ebiguy can provide a fix for you, Stuart. 

In the meantime try typing RAMDISK.SYS to start it manually.

-SteveS

12 hours ago, stuarts said:

Please give more details about what you did to prepare the ultimate cart.

And please, focus on one configuration. Otherwise it is really confusing (you are talking about the 8Mb and also the 1MB in the same message).

Also, could you upload the output file (the prepared sdx file - the .bin or .car).

I am not an expert of the Ultimate cart and my packaging was not tested on this cartridge but I can try to understand the issue.

58 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

Please give more details about what you did to prepare the ultimate cart.

And please, focus on one configuration. Otherwise it is really confusing (you are talking about the 8Mb and also the 1MB in the same message).

Also, could you upload the output file (the prepared sdx file - the .bin or .car).

I am not an expert of the Ultimate cart and my packaging was not tested on this cartridge but I can try to understand the issue.

ok here's the files that I could get to work with the Ultimate cart.  The first file is spartados 4.49, the second file is the two car files that sort of work, when you hold down the option key to avoid the batch boot up file configuring things.  The option key works only if its pressed really early in the process, otherwise it seems to crash.  Typing RAMDISK.SYS does start the O: drive manually and that does seem to work.  I'm not all that familiar with spartados, but It does seem to see a spartados partition (atr file) on the sdrive max as well.  Logo doesn't work but M65 and Altirra Basic and action seem to work and load. (program cart name, then car)  Is there a way to edit the startup configuration?  I'm not sure if there's an actual directory of the cartridge (spartados cartridge) itself?  (I'm new to spartados, hard to setup lol)   Also, original files that I'm working from were the files that came in the attachment to post 101 above, but they were converted with the online utility to convert bin files to car files.  I didn't run the batch file to combine the bin files, maybe thats how you change the configuration?  I thought maybe that was a way to insert atr files into the spartados boot cartridge files, which I don't think works on the ultimate cart, but I'm only guessing.  Thanks everyone!

SDX449_maxflash1.rar car_files.rar

Edited by stuarts

On 10/1/2020 at 8:15 AM, stuarts said:

I have a mostly stock Atari 800

The first time I saw your post, I did not notice that you were using an Atari 800.

My packaging does not work on an Atari 800.

The issue is not related to the cartridge but with your hardware which is not supported.

You should use the standard packaging found on the SpartaDos X website.

Sorry.

On 10/1/2020 at 9:36 PM, stuarts said:

Is there a way to edit the startup configuration?

If your boot disk is in SpartaDOS format, the DOS will attempt to load CONFIG.SYS from it and execute instead of the default one. It is written in the chapter 8 of the User's Manual, hidden under a cryptic title "Configuring your system"...

Edited by drac030
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, drac030 said:

If your boot disk is in SpartaDOS format, the DOS will attempt to load CONFIG.SYS from it and execute instead of the default one. It is written in the chapter 8 of the User's Manual, hidden under a cryptic title "Configuring your system"...

yeah, I suppose you do have a point, but this version that I downloaded had a way to put an atr file in the cartridge itself and build a new rom file, or at least that's how it seemed to work, so I wasn't sure if I had to change the internal atr file or something.  I thought maybe you were supposed to edit one of those files, its kind of complicated.  Not exactly the 'regular' version. But thanks for the tip.

8 hours ago, ebiguy said:

The first time I saw your post, I did not notice that you were using an Atari 800.

The issue is not related to the cartridge but with your hardware which is not supported.

Sorry.

ok thanks

Just now, stuarts said:

ok thanks

8 hours ago, ebiguy said:

Sorry.

I do have a ramdisk in the 800 (512k upgrade)

37 minutes ago, stuarts said:

yeah, I suppose you do have a point, but this version that I downloaded had a way to put an atr file in the cartridge itself and build a new rom file, or at least that's how it seemed to work, so I wasn't sure if I had to change the internal atr file or something.  I thought maybe you were supposed to edit one of those files, its kind of complicated.  Not exactly the 'regular' version. But thanks for the tip.

9 hours ago, drac030 said:

Also I was hoping to see the original "config.sys" file for this particular custom cart version, that was somewhere in the cartridge maybe, so I'd have somewhere to start from.  I'm assuming that you can get the directory of the cart somehow, and I couldn't figure that out from the manual.  Sometimes you need help to get started.  There must be a batch file hidden in the cart somewhere, and I want to see it, as a starting point.  maybe I can make it work, by changing that file.  Do you know how to do that?   Sometimes you don't know what to call the item that you're searching for.  How do you look it up then?  I was hoping for something other than sarcasm, perhaps I'm naive.

3 hours ago, stuarts said:

Also I was hoping to see the original "config.sys" file for this particular custom cart version, that was somewhere in the cartridge maybe, so I'd have somewhere to start from.  I'm assuming that you can get the directory of the cart somehow, and I couldn't figure that out from the manual.  Sometimes you need help to get started.

Page 157 of the User's Manual (the very first page of the aforementioned chapter) lists the default CONFIG.SYS and also speaks as follows of its location: "SDX carries a default text file of configuration information called CONFIG.SYS on the CAR: device". Now there is a footnote 86 to this which says the following: "Type TYPE CAR:CONFIG.SYS to see the default configuration file of your SDX".

And then page 19 of the same manual, chapter III "SpartaDOS X Overview", where the manual explains the three-character device identifiers, says: "CAR: - 'CAR:' is the X cartridge ROM-disk - you may load files from it or do directories of it, but of course you may not save or write to it".

• Like 1