IGNORED

ABBUC e.V.: New Board elected!

skr

Hello dear Atarians,

after founding the ABBUC e.V. 35 years ago and being its President since then, Wolfgang Burger and the whole board stepped back. Please read about the new board, that was elected today at the official ABBUC forums:

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10103

Best regards,

Sascha Kriegel

President of the ABBUC e.V. (since today)

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Dedication for sure.

I don't think my local group lasted much beyond the start of the 1990s (Dec 1992 was the last newsletter according to a national library search)

Sydney, Melbourne and 1 or 2 other places had pretty big groups but I don't think they went on much longer either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skr said:

Hello dear Atarians,

after founding the ABBUC e.V. 35 years ago and being its President since then, Wolfgang Burger and the whole board stepped back. Please read about the new board, that was elected today at the official ABBUC forums:

Best regards,

Sascha Kriegel

Congratulations president!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, skr said:

Hello dear Atarians,

Best regards,

Sascha Kriegel

Wunsche dir dass beste und bin sicher dass du dass sehr machen wirst.

• Like 5

On 10/26/2019 at 8:22 PM, Rybags said:

Dedication for sure.

I don't think my local group lasted much beyond the start of the 1990s (Dec 1992 was the last newsletter according to a national library search)

Sydney, Melbourne and 1 or 2 other places had pretty big groups but I don't think they went on much longer either.

'92-94 time frame, everything in the US died off, Atari magazines, Atari user groups and of course Atari support for anything but the Jaguar by '94. Two years later, the Jaguar and Atari officially died off. IIRC, '92 was the year Atari officially dropped the Atari 8-bit and all consoles but the Lynx, if you consider it a console, at least in the US. The 16/32-bits were dropped in '94.

Edited by Gunstar

The dedication of Wolfgang and the ABBUC crew deserves respect. They always stuck to 8-bits and some people say they might be long gone had they morphed into an ST and maybe later generic computer club. 

German association law might have had a helping hand as well. While Germany has freedom of association  an association like ABBUC, its statutes as well as its current officers need to be registered with the local authorities and there is a requirement for an annual general meeting where the membership exonerates the officers who otherwise hold personal liability. 
Thus ‚closing down‘ is not just a matter of not meeting anymore, you‘d want to do it properly and rather than voting to close down and hand over all assets to a non-profit organization (divvying up between members is not allowed if you want to enjoy non-profit tax status) this is often an opportunity to find new officers willing to carry the torch. 

While the original rules were probably devised by aristocrats wishing to keep an eye on what their subjects were up to with this newfangled freedom of association, they sometimes help to keep associations alive. 

Good luck to skr and the new RENO crew at ABBUC for many more years (just realized it’ll be rather unlikely for me to join the 100th anniversary celebrations). 

• Like 3

Congrats!  Now I have my first request... I dropped my ABBUC membership this year because there is little to nothing in English anymore.  At one time, the monthly mags were translated to English and we were able to download the translations.  I understand that ABBUC lost the resource for translations, but perhaps you could look into getting this going again?  Google translations just won't cut it for the typical English-speaker, and even with my 3 years of high school German (50+ years ago), it just doesn't work well. I'm sure it is a drudge to translate stuff, but have you considered paying someone?  I'd certainly pay extra on the membership to get stuff that I could understand.  "An English Surcharge" Anyhow, food for thought.

Thanks,

Larry

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Congrats!  Now I have my first request... I dropped my ABBUC membership this year because there is little to nothing in English anymore.  At one time, the monthly mags were translated to English and we were able to download the translations.  I understand that ABBUC lost the resource for translations, but perhaps you could look into getting this going again?  Google translations just won't cut it for the typical English-speaker, and even with my 3 years of high school German (50+ years ago), it just doesn't work well. I'm sure it is a drudge to translate stuff, but have you considered paying someone?  I'd certainly pay extra on the membership to get stuff that I could understand.  "An English Surcharge" Anyhow, food for thought.

Thanks,

Larry

Well, just give us a few weeks to sort things out. We are working on an additional english version of the magazine, as well as being more "open minded" to non-german speaking members generally in future ;-)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 8Bitjunkie said:

Well, just give us a few weeks to sort things out. We are working on an additional english version of the magazine, as well as being more "open minded" to non-german speaking members generally in future ;-)

Maybe abbuc should team up with Pro(c) re the Magazine, it would be a good it as you guys have much more technical stuff than we do, just an idea ;)

• Like 1