IGNORED

Bass Fishing Tournament (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

Gameplay:

It's fairly straight forward, you need to catch as many fish as you can in the provided time given before weigh in. The deeper you snag a fish the more they're worth in weight. However bigger fish are stronger and more forceful making it no easy task to land them in your boat. You must land the fish into your boat in order to receive the weight points.

There is an audio notification of three beeps when you have 20 seconds left of the round. Achieving an score of 1,800 or greater will allow accesses of level two, while a score of 3,600 or greater will grant access to level three. Level four requires 5,400 - Level five requires 7,200 and Level six requires 10,800. Your time will replenish for another 4min round when achieving these scores. If you have a fish hooked and hit the edge of the screen he will escape from the hook.

Pro Tip: There is rumors of a big ol' lunker lurking around the depths but very rarely pops his head out. If you see him and have the chance to snag him, go for it, he's worth his weight. Although he will put up a decent fight, so be prepared, it wont be easy.

Controls and Statusbars:

Joystick fire = Reels in lure

Reset = Return to the title screen

Left/Right = Directional

Right Difficulty Switch = Reel sound

Statusbar Left = Force/Tension

Statusbar Right = Timer

Title Screen:

Simple animated titlescreen to set the mood.

title.thumb.png.5640a97baea6f2103741c7192c89c4da.png

Main Game:

Start bringing in those fish and see what high score you can achieve.

main2.thumb.png.5d38ba7379ce29ab34c769a01b155a92.png

Weigh In:

This game over screen shows the weight of Bass caught during the tournament. Your angler will be proud to show of his catch.

weigh.thumb.png.c0cf6f8b6a2e33d032ef259557f73591.png

The game is NTSC Format, PAL may come when im done finishing the final touches.

Downloads:

Latest: Bass Fishing Tournament.bin

License: License.txt

Special Thanks:

• @Albert - For granting permissions to me on this thread and this awesome site.
  • @ZeroPage Homebrew Team and James - For featuring my game on his Twitch stream and highly valued Quality Assurance testing.
  • @mksmith- For the excellent Atari Dev Studio extension for the Visual Studio Code IDE.
  • @jwierer- For the good ol' Visual batari Basic IDE.
  • @batari - For batari Basic and all contributions to Atari Age.
  • @RevEng - For the continued support and updates of both batari Basic and 7800BASIC (which id like to delve into oneday).
  • @Random Terrain - For the comprehensive and usefull documentation of batari Basic.
  • @Arenafoot - For possibly the most extensive catalog of 2600 Homebrew on the internet.
  • Homebrew Community - Without everyone's efforts Homebrew wouldn't be where it's at today.
  • AA Community - For this great community of kind members.
  • If i have left anyone out you know who you are and thanks!

-Anthony

Bass Fishing Tournament 20191115.bin

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D Train said:

what does the fishing action look like?

interesting that you are fishing from the bottom up, rather than from the top down like in activision fishing derby.

interested to see how the progresses!

yeah its kinda backwards having the fisherman at the bottom up your reeling in the fish up the game screen, awesome graphics

825 on first try

is the round timed? or set to the cruise ship across the top of the screen?

maybe add different colored fish

maybe at weigh in, it could show all the fish caught? or a truck and boat with trailer like they ride into the weigh-in arena at Bassmasters 

can't wait for next update!

Bass Fishing Tournament 20191028.png

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chewy said:

wow my guy looks impressive- i love the title screen, i didnt get a point get but i definetly got fish on hook.....so you can get points?  how to do that? ill let you know if it works on sunnyvale light 6'r......

You reel in the fish upwards the game screen, not towards the fisherman at the bottom of the screen. Once its up there you get the points and the hook falls back into the water.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, D Train said:

what does the fishing action look like?

interesting that you are fishing from the bottom up, rather than from the top down like in activision fishing derby.

interested to see how the progresses!

Yeah the little fisherman on the bottom of the fishing/underwater screen is actually supposed to be just an HUD animation for looks. I can see how the angler looks to be standing on the sand. The sand is actually the sea/lake floor, so it's more of a side-on view and the ship is cruising across the surface.

Thanks for the input.

3 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

yeah its kinda backwards having the fisherman at the bottom up your reeling in the fish up the game screen, awesome graphics

825 on first try

is the round timed? or set to the cruise ship across the top of the screen?

maybe add different colored fish

maybe at weigh in, it could show all the fish caught? or a truck and boat with trailer like they ride into the weigh-in arena at Bassmasters 

can't wait for next update!

The game is timed at 4min rounds (right statusbar), i previously had a shorter time set but when trying to land the rare big lunker it can take alot of time. I felt it also needed more time to vary score outcome and make catching big fish more rewarding. The cruise ship from right to left is almost dialed in to the 4min timer.

As for different coloured fish the plan is different levels of dificalty will have different coloured fish. So far i have the idea of beginer or advanced level select on the title screen and choosing advanced will change the colours and difficulty.

It's funny you mention the truck and trailer with boat on the weigh in screen as my Mrs also had that idea lol. I really like the idea and had a quick trial before, however the flicker is the main issue. I would have to loose the angler with the fish animation as a replacement which i kinda want to keep but at the same time want the truck and trailer ??

Thanks for the input.

3 hours ago, chewy said:

but why do you reel them to the sky? just wondering for context, amazing game

Yeah as i have noticed it's caused some confusion im thinking of axing the cruiseliner and replacing it with the fisherman in a boat making his way across the screen. I kind of felt having the angler animation kind of clutters the HUD anyway and kind of looks out of place. The upside to axing the ship will also free up that sprite if id like to use it elsewhere or way.

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Latest BuildBass Fishing Tournament 20191029.bin

Changelog: I have removed the cruiseliner and replaced with the angler in a boat drifting across the screen. This should save some confusion and i personally think it looks more fitting. Also removed a bug where the tension/force meter would show on the weigh in screen if a fish was still hooked.

uwmain.thumb.png.5f76cf0f7f9ab552392bae7a374f6b64.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, atari2600land said:

Looks good. The only thing I suggest is perhaps changing the score font. It's awfully hard to read at times.

Yeah i would have to agree it can be hard to see, problem im having is choosing one i like. The others look very space shooter style and default is a bit plain Jane for me. Personally i think the whimsy style is fitting to the type of game although i agree it can be hard to read. Im thinking the highlight was making it even harder as setting the colour to black makes it instantly clearer. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input

Black

black.thumb.png.63b0839c77db908936a8b4a0674a59f5.png

Solid colour with no highlights

solid.thumb.png.8f36e4bbca4861d4ea8ca62e187d1f8c.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Changelog: I have removed the cruiseliner and replaced with the angler in a boat drifting across the screen. This should save some confusion and i personally think it looks more fitting. Also removed a bug where the tension/force meter would show on the weigh in screen if a fish was still hooked.

I was hoping for the angler to remain at the bottom and reel them in towards the bottom and keep the cruise ship. The cruise ship across the top reminds me of the shark fin in RealSports Volleyball with that similar background (sunset). 

15 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Yeah i would have to agree it can be hard to see, problem im having is choosing one i like. The others look very space shooter style and default is a bit plain Jane for me. Personally i think the whimsy style is fitting to the type of game although i agree it can be hard to read. Im thinking the highlight was making it even harder as setting the colour to black makes it instantly clearer. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input

Black

Solid colour with no highlights

either one - I prefer the solid color w/ no highlights better though.

Bass Fishing Tournament 20191029.png

Edited by Arenafoot
added pic

6 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

I was hoping for the angler to remain at the bottom and reel them in towards the bottom and keep the cruise ship. The cruise ship across the top reminds me of the shark fin in RealSports Volleyball with that similar background (sunset). 

I really the idea, which has now left me at a cross road as of what to do. I like the angler in the boat as well but beach fishing is a great concept. I could possibly do both depending on a difficulty switch position, so trying to work out what route id like to take on this. Very nice idea, cheers.

PS. Not sure if you're aware the screenshot you posted is of an older build. Latest is in top post

I've seen the HUGE fish only three times playing and once I was about 2 pixels away from snagging him. This score is just about a perfect game (without a HUGE fish), possibly I could snag one more of the normal big fish if I optimized a little bit more.

image.thumb.png.2e61f9b15e4bf757cea29e96543e94ad.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, HatNJ said:

Looks great and fun only got 550 and saw the big lurker snagged him but he does fight and ran out of time before i could get him up

Thanks, yeah he is quite rare and was starting to think he is a little to rare. I have wanted to keep him abit of a mystery and excitement for replay ability. Im still fine tune his mechanics and balance of risk vs reward as i want the play intermediate (easy to play yet hard to master) . Thanks for checking it out, im glad you enjoy it ?

35 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

I've seen the HUGE fish only three times playing and once I was about 2 pixels away from snagging him. This score is just about a perfect game (without a HUGE fish), possibly I could snag one more of the normal big fish if I optimized a little bit more.

Three times is actually lucky, im lucky to see him once every 10 games or so. Fine tuning when he appears yet random is alot of testing and time as i have to let the game run over and over to calculate the probability. As we all know theory doesn't always yield the same results as practice, so yeah alot of gametime calculations for the desired result.

I was going to ramp up the difficulty however have decided later to add more difficult levels. Some will probably like the leisurely play while others will desire more of a challenge. Catering to both im thinking will be the best option and replay ability but yeah you're correct that's an near perfect score. My best is low 2,000s although the big lunker can be a pain to snag so he can ruin a run fairly quickly.

Thanks for the input ?

• Like 1

Latest Build: In the first post or here Bass Fishing Tournament 20191031.bin

Mainly tweaks to the engine and a bug fix with the Lunker as he would reappear after landed in the boat. His random call routine has also been revamped and now has cheat prevention code. So you can not keep resetting the machine till it triggers his call, as of now there is no real way of knowing if he will appear during the round.

I have added a crappy reel sound when reeling in the fish, it can be turned on or off via the right difficulty switch (default is off). Unfortunately sounds is not my strong point so im starting to look into it abit more. Anyway its there for those who may want it.

New personal best. I *almost* got the last big fish in the boat but it got snagged on the second to top fish so I think I may have been able to get 2200 instead of 2040. I only had to barely let out the line a couple of times but other than that it was straight down and straight back up. I think the absolute perfect game of this build, without the Lunker, is 2200.

PHEW, what a crazy fun game!

image.thumb.png.05f89b2ca127170ca241e15f7b69c6b4.png

• Like 2