IGNORED

Bass Fishing Tournament (WIP)

TwentySixHundred

1 hour ago, MrBeefy said:

Well I was able to snag the big one. However even with his point boost it wasn't enough to put me into stage 2. :(

Almost wasn't worth the time other than the challenge. :)

Yeah unless you get a clean run with him he can either make or break the run. He's worth more in round two though, however it's more difficult as everything gets faster. Ill probably raise his points again when i get set up again.

Well today was the day things went pear shaped, and has hampered development for the next few days. The Mrs cat decided to knock my laptop off then table and now the hard drive has crapped itself ?. Good thing is everything was backed up on an external drive so no code has been lost.

I have the desktop running through the TV but is used for Streaming and things of that nature. Coding with the desktop on the couch just doesn't feel right and the Mrs doesn't really want to watch me code (understandable).

So for now im thinking of rigging up a frankenstein build with an old laptop that has a cracked screen and connecting it to an small monitor with usb keyboard ect (looks like it will be a mess). Things wont be the same though, as i was comfortable and had everything set up the way i wanted on the laptop.

Im looking into a new harddrive for the laptop but obviously it will take alot of setting up with programs and everything else to get it all right again.

So i probably wont be up to full speed for a few weeks till i get the laptop fixed. Anyway, way it goes i guess.

Edited by TwentySixHundred

We'll be featuring Bass Fishing Tournament LIVE on tomorrow's (Wednesday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- CollectorVision Phoenix Unboxing
- Power Off! (2002) by Eric Bacher and Igor Barzilai
- Shielding Color (2019) by Antonio Corpas Cuenca aka corpiano
- Bass Fishing Tournament (2019 WIP) by Anthony Quinlan aka TwentySixHundred

308347499_20191106-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.7da330ff3c5ac7d19df384efcb2c81e9.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Build:  Bass Fishing Tournament 20191107.bin First post is updated with latest build aswell

Changelog:

• Round 3 is complete and accessible with a score of 3,600 or greater.
  • Audio notification when 20 seconds is left of each round (three beeps).
  • Score font and colour has been changed with higher contrast - easier on the eyes.
  • Some minor colouring changes.
  • Like always probably something else i can't remember

Now im at the stage of never being happy with the statusbar colours, i keep thinking of blue then decide it doesn't look right. However think red is also a bit odd looking. Something i will have to play around with and think about.

Anyway enjoy!

-Anthony

• Like 2

Great update, level 3 is an excellent addition and the scores are a lot easier to read.

The 20 second warning could be used as an alarm clock in the morning, it sure wakes you up!

image.thumb.png.d8452b6dec54efb9c13c567e009de1ea.png

Archive Video of Stream (from last episode)

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Latest Build:  Bass Fishing Tournament 20191107.bin First post is updated with latest build aswell

Changelog:

• Round 3 is complete and accessible with a score of 3,600 or greater.
  • Audio notification when 20 seconds is left of each round (three beeps).
  • Score font and colour has been changed with higher contrast - easier on the eyes.
  • Some minor colouring changes.
  • Like always probably something else i can't remember

Now im at the stage of never being happy with the statusbar colours, i keep thinking of blue then decide it doesn't look right. However think red is also a bit odd looking. Something i will have to play around with and think about.

Anyway enjoy!

-Anthony

Finally got around to downloading this game. Very good game (I need more practice), but very good all around game. Excellent title screen:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Great update, level 3 is an excellent addition and the scores are a lot easier to read.

The 20 second warning could be used as an alarm clock in the morning, it sure wakes you up!

image.thumb.png.d8452b6dec54efb9c13c567e009de1ea.png

Archive Video of Stream (from last episode)

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Nice score! Yeah round three really amps up the speed and difficulty, well it truly noticeable. That's taking into account the math increase in speed is exactly the same amount as from round one to two. I can still manage to get fish five past the first without colliding so im surprised the balance is still there (needs to be precise and pixel perfect though).

The Notification sound was a bit of trial and error, im still not sure if it's the right tone for the game though. Anyway it's there and just a matter of changing the channel and frequency if it's too annoying. Thanks for checking it out and featuring the game on your stream.

7 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Finally got around to downloading this game. Very good game (I need more practice), but very good all around game. Excellent title screen:thumbsup:

Thanks for checking it out and the kind words @sramirez2008 ? Yeah i have heard some great responses about the titlescreen and glad people like it. Helps set the mood and that's what i was going for.

• Like 1

Latest Build: Bass Fishing Tournament 20191111.bin Binary in first post updated aswell

I will try to keep this short!

So this build was pure optimization and code crunching with smarter program structure and data sharing flow. My highest priority is optimization to save machine cycles. This ensures the gameplay is smooth with a consistent line count and prevents screen roll. The downside is this comes at a cost of ROM. So having smarter branching of outside mainloop code, sharing and where it fetches that data from was critical. Along with other functions such as Randomness and bank switching is done in a manner to keep optimization high. Having this approach i can't see a single area to improve on efficiency as of now.

So where im at, there is easily enough room for another three rounds (keep in mind i have optimization as the priority) and im thinking that's more then enough rounds. After adding round three i have noticed the difficulty is substantially ramped up. There is always room for score improvement with practice although adding another three rounds, i highly doubt many would last to see the sixth round. There will still be plenty of ROM to fill the game with Easter eggs or just leave it as that (that's to be decided).

After crunching and optimizing this code, i gave myself a break from Bass Fishing tonight and have started two new games. They are very optimistic and whether one pulls through and the other falls i don't know yet. Although after only putting in a couple hours of development each, they're both not looking too bad to me. I will see how they pan out i guess.

Cheers

-Anthony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jinks said:

This looks like the best 2600 game to come out in years . If done in Basic please consider an enhanced 7800(super 2600) version.  

Thanks for the kind words ? Yeah it was done in Basic, and i have thought a few times about delving into 7800Basic. I feel batari Basic can get a bad rap from time to time, probably due to being more on the high level language spectrum.

Thing is batari has it's restrictions of it's own ontop of what the 2600 already has. I feel getting a good understanding what the restrictions are, and how to work with and or around them is key. I have been playing around with batari Basic for a good 10 years or so but never released anything. Guess i was always too critical of my own work, anyway finally decided to release something.

7800 and 6502ASM is on the cards, although i think stepping out of that comfort zone is what holds me back.

Cheers

-Anthony

Edited by TwentySixHundred

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks for the kind words ? Yeah it was done in Basic, and i have thought a few times about delving into 7800Basic. I feel batari Basic can get a bad rap from time to time, probably due to being more on the high level language spectrum.

Thing is batari has it's restrictions of it's own ontop of what the 2600 already has. I feel getting a good understanding what the restrictions are, and how to work with and or around them is key. I have been playing around with batari Basic for a good 10 years or so but never released anything. Guess i was always too critical of my own work, anyway finally decided to release something.

7800 and 6502ASM is on the cards, although i think stepping out of that comfort zone is what holds me back.

Cheers

-Anthony

Please check out Arkanoid in the 7800 programming section and you can see what can be done with 7800 basic and talk to the author of game as he has come from 2600 land and is telling people about he support he gets from the pretty small but awesome 7800 community. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Latest Build: Bass Fishing Tournament 20191111.bin Binary in first post updated as well

After crunching and optimizing this code, i gave myself a break from Bass Fishing tonight and have started two new games. They are very optimistic and whether one pulls through and the other falls i don't know yet. Although after only putting in a couple hours of development each, they're both not looking too bad to me. I will see how they pan out i guess.

Cheers

-Anthony

Thank you for the shout out in the game credits! But especially for this awesome game!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jinks said:

Please check out Arkanoid in the 7800 programming section and you can see what can be done with 7800 basic and talk to the author of game as he has come from 2600 land and is telling people about he support he gets from the pretty small but awesome 7800 community. 

Yeah that's Matt aka mksmith, i have had a chat, feedback and bug reported to him about his extension for VSC when it was in early stages of development. His game is brilliant and have been following it's progress for latest updates and such. I might have to drop him a few lines asking for pointers as to what the transition is like from 2600 to 7800BASIC. ? Just don't want to bother him if he's busy or anything

14 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Yeah there is no credits in the game, Arenafoot is talking about the special thanks listed in the first post.

Whew! Thought I missed something. So is the giant lunker one of the Easter Eggs?

Also if I haven't said it already this game is great. I rent Bass Master Classic way back when I was a kid and loved it. This is very much a 'demake' of that. I hope you finish it completely and it makes it to cart!

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Whew! Thought I missed something. So is the giant lunker one of the Easter Eggs?

Also if I haven't said it already this game is great. I rent Bass Master Classic way back when I was a kid and loved it. This is very much a 'demake' of that. I hope you finish it completely and it makes it to cart!

The lunker isn't an Easter egg, he just appears randomly for the chance of big points. One Easter egg was found on ZeroPageHomebrew stream, the other is very hard to find but i want to keep it that way as a mystery till someone stumbles across it.

As for releasing the game on cart im not entirely sure how the process works. I guess it's a factor of interest and whether @Albert is interested in publishing the game under AA. I would be all for it and would love to see my game make a release on cartridge. I believe it would also require additional hardware from AA for the DPC+ features. My license prohibits the use of commercial sale to stop ebay sellers from flashing the ROM image and selling without my permission. The only way it would see a release in physical form, is though AA so it's not entirely up to me. I would be more then happy to have the game sold through AA.

I would also need help from one or more of the great artist we have here for box art/manuals ect. Hopefully it will make a release though ?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

The lunker isn't an Easter egg, he just appears randomly for the chance of big points. One Easter egg was found on ZeroPageHomebrew stream, the other is very hard to find but i want to keep it that way as a mystery till someone stumbles across it.

As for releasing the game on cart im not entirely sure how the process works. I guess it's a factor of interest and whether @Albert is interested in publishing the game under AA. I would be all for it and would love to see my game make a release on cartridge. I believe it would also require additional hardware from AA for the DPC+ features. My license prohibits the use of commercial sale to stop ebay sellers from flashing the ROM image and selling without my permission. The only way it would see a release in physical form, is though AA so it's not entirely up to me. I would be more then happy to have the game sold through AA.

I would also need help from one or more of the great artist we have here for box art/manuals ect. Hopefully it will make a release though ?

Greetings!  I've been super busy catching up on orders (just finished shipping a ton of Jaguar pre-orders today, next task is to catch up on regular store orders!), so I haven't had a chance to try the game yet.  But once I get caught up on orders (this week!) I have a few games I need to try out, including Bass Fishing Tournament.  I look forward to it!

..Al

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Albert said:

Greetings!  I've been super busy catching up on orders (just finished shipping a ton of Jaguar pre-orders today, next task is to catch up on regular store orders!), so I haven't had a chance to try the game yet.  But once I get caught up on orders (this week!) I have a few games I need to try out, including Bass Fishing Tournament.  I look forward to it!

..Al

No worries, yeah i noticed the hard work you were putting in getting the Jag games prepped for orders on facebook posts. All good no stress, cheers for checking it out ?

-Anthony

6 hours ago, eegad said:

Just wanted to say nice job on the game.  Finally got around to trying it out and spent about an hour playing it several times. Only managed to get the lunker once on something like my 4th game. 

Thanks for the kind words and checking out the game ?Yeah the lunker is fairly rare although i had raised the probability quite a bit. What i like about the lunker is he adds many variables for high scores. The factors of if or how many times he appears can vary greatly, then there is the time to land him in the boat can make or break a run. He also adds some excitement when making an appearance which is cool.