IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 21 - Space Dungeon - FINAL round of 2019!

DamonicFury

Welcome to the final round of this 5200 HSC season!  Space Dungeon was tied in the vote with Popeye, but Space Dungeon won the coin toss.  Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current record was set by SIO2 with 794,125 points.  Bust it if you can for a bonus point.

The ROM and manual can be found here: 

https://www.atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=661

Round ends Sunday, November 10th , 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

rubeon - 945,735 - RECORD BREAKER!

phuzaxeman - 43,955

eegt97 - 43,645

Kobra Kai - 32,245

bemis - 13,940

jblenkle - 5,000

Mangia-Boy - 3,635

7 hours ago, jblenkle said:

OK, so this game requires two controllers to play, apparently...kind of hard via emulation. I have yet to configure the 2nd controller properly in either Kat5200 or Altirra so I'm playing without guns.

If anyone knows how to correctly set this game up in emulation, kindly post instructions on how you did it.  Thanks!

While looking to see if I could find any emulation tips in past rounds (no such luck), I did find these tips I wrote up back in 2012.  Posting them again in case anyone finds them helpful.

Visiting every room in the level is worth a 10,000 point bonus when you leave the level. (If you can snag a full or near-full set of treasures plus the bonus, it should result in 2-3 much-needed extra lives!)

Try not to charge right into rooms... you may run into an enemy who's sitting right by the door. (The non-self-centering 5200 sticks don't help with this.)

After visiting all the rooms in level 2 and above, track down the Thief and shoot him to make him give up the treasures he's taken.

Make sure to concentrate fire on enemies who are a direct threat (the ones that are firing at you and/or moving quickly.)

In rooms with laser guns in the corners, take at least one of them out immediately, and then destroy two other ones from a safe angle. The single remaining gun is no threat, but you may want to take it out anyway so that the guns don't respawn if you return to the room. (Thanks to patbb for noting the respawn issue.)

Pass through a room immediately if it contains no treasures.... the real points in this game come from treasure collecting, not fighting.

Leave a room if you're being surrounded. You can come right back and the enemies will be in different positions.

When you stop shooting, it speeds your ship up... helpful for making a quck getaway, dodging shots, or slipping in between two guardians (asterisks.)

The red critters with horns that appear from level 3 on don't fire until you kill them. As such, fire on them from a safe distance so that you can get out of the way of their shots.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

If anyone knows how to correctly set this game up in emulation, kindly post instructions on how you did it.  Thanks!

@jblenkle, in kat5200 did you setup the Player 2 directions for the stick you want to use?  Also, did you set the A5200 Controller type to "Joystick" on the right side of the Player 2 tab? 

It works for me.

• Like 1

SpaceDungeon1.JPG.a80b6fbf3ecc29317f3f8bd7a4f0afae.JPG

So, the top 5 players or so can neither gain or lose ground in the standings. Even with high score and record breakers the point spread is too wide to move position. Don't know how much time I'm willing to put into this one. It would take 800,000 to bust the record, that's probably 1.5 hours minimum.

12 hours ago, Kobra Kai said:

SpaceDungeon1.JPG.a80b6fbf3ecc29317f3f8bd7a4f0afae.JPG

So, the top 5 players or so can neither gain or lose ground in the standings. Even with high score and record breakers the point spread is too wide to move position. Don't know how much time I'm willing to put into this one. It would take 800,000 to bust the record, that's probably 1.5 hours minimum.

Yeah, it's curious how much space there is in the point spread between all the regular players.  Looking back, I guess that isn't that unusual... I only recall one year where there was serious competition for first place.  I suspect most people aren't really playing to win the season, it's really just more about enjoying these great games!  

On 10/29/2019 at 9:20 AM, DamonicFury said:

I suspect most people aren't really playing to win the season, it's really just more about enjoying these great games!  

That may be true, but I'm celebrating anyway.  Woohoooo!  ?

romanreigns-champ.gif.852478a55cd70c3522a51248b83f300d.gif

It was a fun playing the whole season for sure.  There's nothing like playing these games in an HSC to truly get to know them!

• Like 2

I'm part of the group not necessarily playing to win.  It is fun playing games I didn't own in my youth like Space Dungeon and this club makes me take the time to give them a try. It is especially interesting when the game selected has some unique original equipment controls that I am now fortunate enough to possess.  I wish I had more time to play, i was just starting to figure this out.  

Space Dungeon 13940.jpg

Congratulations to rubeon for smashing the most Sentinels, taking the most treasures, and delving through the most dungeons to come up with an astounding high score that will be extremely hard to beat!

And that does for this season!  Congratulations to our new champ, eegt97!  Please send me your selection of five games that will start off our first poll for the 13th season starting in January 2020.

Thanks to all who participated this season!  Lots of great players this time, with several tough records beaten!  I hope you all will be back when we return next year. 

Final standings: (for Space Dungeon)

rubeon - 945,735 - RECORD BREAKER! +11 +1 = +12

phuzaxeman - 43,955  +10

eegt97 - 43,645  +9

Kobra Kai - 32,245  +8

bemis - 13,940  +7

jblenkle - 5,000  +6

Mangia-Boy - 3,635  +5