IGNORED

Reposting: Jag as Amiga2 ... thoughts

phoenixdownita

Ultra vortek was programmed on a amiga 1200 I believe is mention in-game, at credits....

Amiga cd32 might have been the "amiga2" if the akiko chip was unique to the "closed system" video game console, and not inside the 1200

A computer is a "open system" a console a "closed system" but both are built as a computer on the inside.

Yes, Jaguar was pretty much the next step from amiga 1200 with better graphics, great sound better capacity for 3d than amiga 1200, so why not... still a comparison between 32x and Jag is maybe more propper, both being "closed systems"/consoles.

Whatever...

• Like 1

The Jag was originally suppose to compete with the 3DO as well as the 16bit consoles (Genesis & SNES)... I don't think there's too much of a comparison considering the GPU, the Blitter, and Object Processor although I do have to admit the Amiga did have better graphics and sound than the Atari ST 520. The "Hold And Modify or HAM" is something unique to the Amiga machines only, which uniquely set those machines apart from others in a good way (RIP Jay Miner). I guess in a way the Jag kind-of has it's own version of HAM on it and it's basically the GPU not able to make jumps to main memory without a work-around. lol

All jokes aside, it's kind of interesting how I ran into the phrase "Hold And Modify"... Back in the late mid 90s I had a program called "Impulse Imagine 3D" for MS-DOS which was a wire-frame modeler and raytracer; it came as a 2 diskette set with a book called "3D Modelling Lab by Phillip Shaddock". It had a rendering feature that supported images being rendered as Bit Map, TIFF, TGA, using a Native or "HAM" to render the image, which was something I'd never heard of until I looked it up and found out what it was. If the Jaguar supports HAM, I think it can fairly be compared to an Amiga... The Jag architecturally is an animal unto itself.

product-108392.jpg

hmm HAM mode.

horrible data organisation - uses 6 different bitplanes,  reduced to 16 palette color registers, loose 3 pixels (one pixel to each color component - red, green, blue) to change a complete color.

IMO the most overrated amiga feature, easily beaten with ST Spectrum 512/4096

comparison to Jaguar  (full 24bit color) is pointless

Edited by Cyprian_K
  • Like 1