IGNORED

Houston Arcade Expo: November 15-16, 2019

SpiceWare

I'll be there again, with my collection of 8-bit computers in tow.  I was really hoping to have a disk drive at least for the C-64 if not for the Atari 800XL also, but my plan to spend October weekends creating disks didn't exactly come to fruition.  We'll see what I might can do in the next couple of weekends.

At any rate, I'll see y'all there!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @Albert's questions during the presentation I have a new analysis:

377729910_Pac-Man(1982)(Atari)_dbg_79eff775.thumb.png.266f1424fd9deacdc27f287ff4861545.png

The different shades of purple used for the 3 playfield registers makes it very easy to see that Tod Frye changed the playfield between reflect and repeat as the screen was drawn.

1030972349_Pac-Man(1982)(Atari)_dbg_79f03731.thumb.png.d120421bf5d4dae6677bf3582506cdfe.png

Reflect mode lets you change the 3 playfield registers only when the maze walls change vertically, saving lots of kernel time and ROM.

Repeat mode gives you way more flexible kernel timing when drawing asymmetrical playfields, which is needed when drawing the dots.

• Like 4

What @sramirez2008 said.  Had a great, if somewhat frustrating time (mostly my fault and mostly no big deal; I'll write about it later when I'm ready to vent), and overall it was another fun expo that has me already thinking about the next one.  Thanks for coming down and surprising us, @Albert!