IGNORED

What do you enjoy collecting most other than Atari?

What else do you enjoy collecting for and why?

One thing I love about collecting Atari, Intellivision, and ColecoVision is the historical aspect of the games and hardware. I also really enjoy SNES/Genesis for their refined and timeless gameplay. I’m also into NES/Master System/Game Boy to a lesser extent. PS1 is cool because I enjoy seeing the advent of 3D games.

Not sure which of the above three takes “second place” in my mind but it’s all fun to collect for.

As far as games go? Stuff from the 16-Bit Era. Genesis is big on that list, but if I see an interesting SNES game I don't have for cheap, I snag it. I've been picking up a lot of OG Xbox stuff recently as well. Prices are still in the basement for those games.

Other than that, it's vinyl. I have been buying more records than video games in the past year to be honest. My collection seems to get bigger every week!

Sigh, where to begin...

I collect for most old consoles, though some companies and consoles I strive to complete more than others.  All Atari consoles, the Sega Master System, the Intellivision, the Vectrex and the ColecoVision, I'll keep what I find... except maybe some of the educational titles for the Coleco.  I still haven't decided whether to keep those.  Other systems, I'll keep the landmark titles, the games I like, and sometimes even what I only think I might like, but I try not to be a completist.

Outside of video games, there is vinyl.  Lots of vinyl.  Albums and singles.  Classic rock and '80s in particular, but plenty from other genres as well.  And then there are movies, though my format of choice is in flux.  Laserdiscs I like to keep just for the nostalgia and history, otherwise I'm gradually shifting away from DVD to Blu-ray, and trying to resist the urge to jump into UHD.  I have a big CD collection as well, but I've decided to pare that down and basically keep certain bonus-track editions and then anything else I don't have on vinyl.  Oh yeah, I also decided to keep a "best of the '80s" cassette collection, against my better judgment.

I need a bigger house.

• Like 1

I collect a few things outside Atari. Obviously other game systems. :)

I love my Transformers collection. It is small and G1 oriented so it stays (semi) affordable. Beyond that I have a decent library. I don't read and donate. I read... then I read something else. But then I re-read... and re-read. I refuse to get rid of the books that I love.

• Like 1

In terms of games, I have a decent size PlayStation and PS 2 collection -- mostly RPGs, classic game compilations, and strategy games. Like my Atari 2600 collection, it has largely remained static for the past several years. I am just not seeing many tiles that I actually want.

My main collecting interest is books relating to Canadian history (and ancillary topics like museums, architecture, and politics).  I have roughly 5,000 to 6,000 volumes (though more than half of that is currently packed away in storage). I add perhaps 3 to 4 books per month on average. 

Over the past few years, I have started collecting art -- primarily drawings and prints of (Canadian) buildings, though I have a few vintage photographs as well. I currently have about 20 pieces, and I am rapidly running out of wall space to hang things. 

I intend to move cross-country within the next five years, and so I have to be mindful of the size/rate of growth of my collection(s) and the cost to pack and ship everything!  

I never liked collecting Atari, my interest basically was the history and their fantastic more or less library of arcade games.  I never liked their mainline consoles much at all, though I found some sporadic fun with the Jaguar and more so the Lynx.  I grew up on Nintendo, the neighbors had the dusty VCS by that point in history so I'd play elsewhere not in home.  These days don't collect much, have a selection of systems also arcade too, so really much of any non-Wii/U based horrors for handheld and console, then the MVS, also do have a very limited PS1/PS3 library and then it gets into oddball handhelds (LCD/LED stuff.)  That's just sticking to games though, there are other things.

I like to collect diecast cars, Tomicas in particular. Made by Takara Tomy, it isn't the crazy modified street racers like Hot Wheels, just plain old Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords, with the occasional Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I think they used to sell it in the U.S. in the 80s, but not anymore.

In the video game perspective, I like to look collect retro computer stuff, but I haven't gone very far, because Commodore, Tandy, and IBM(and almost all other computer brands) stuff are crazy expensive these days.

And I also like to look out for Hyundai Comboy series stuff, which are Hyundai branded PAL Nintendo consoles(NES, SNES, Gameboy, N64) sold in Korea.

I'm not much of an Atari collector honestly. I was around since the inception of the 2600, but my memories aren't as fond of the early stuff. Partly due to only playing on a black and white TV and partly due to preferring to go to arcades than put up with 2600 graphics and sound. Since arcade emulation is good these days I tend to ignore my original games as most were arcade ports. I do have a 2600, a 5200, a Lynx and Jaguar and games for each, but I don't really collect for any of them. My favorite Atari system might be the Lynx just for the decent Toki port it has.

I primarily collect NES, Genesis, Turbografx-16, and SNES. They hold my favorite home console games from any era.

Edited by pablum

20-some years ago I was into collecting for Atari, but now I'm more into 16-bit games (especially Sega) and 486-era PC games also from 20-some years ago.

It's funny how I've appricate things from a generaton ago more than I did at the time...

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:37 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

This is easy for me...Sega and more specifically the Genesis/MD without a doubt. It is my second largest collection to my Atari stuff. 

Same here. First love is Atari, but Sega is next in line. Have about 400 games CIB (all the stuff I want), gotten back when you could hardly give Genesis stuff away.

Also enjoy collecting Neo Geo, TG-16 and GBA.

• Like 1

Funny thing, I don't collect Atari, despite growing up in the heyday of the 2600. I do collect games for NES, Famicom, Sega Genesis, SNES, Gameboy,PS1, Saturn, and SMS (somewhat, SMS games are next to impossible to find where I live, and the one lady who sells them wants too much money for her stuff, $40 loose Fantasy Zone II, I laugh at thee). I do collect somewhat for PS2 and PSP, but am real picky about what I want (SNK compilations and things like that). The DS has sat at 10 games for years, so it's the one system I don't collect for.

I don't go full sets though, I pick and choose from years of playing games in emulation for what I want, and know I'll enjoy (other than the overpriced stuff).

• Like 1

I can tell you what I used to enjoy collecting before I had braces for 4 kids and a wife to pay for. I used to really enjoy Colecovision and Vectrex collecting. Colecovision was by far my second favorite console to collect for after the 2600. The games and consoles are readily found on eBay for good prices. The Vectrex was fun until about 2 years ago. The prices got crazy. Honestly I can understand why. The Vectrex really has great games. Almost every game in the original library is a 7 and up in my book. The homebrews for both the Colecovision and the Vectrex are amazing. The continued fandom for each system is still extremely enthusiastic. I would love to own each system with many accompanying homebrews and peripherals. Hopefully the prices don’t get to crazy over the next 5-8 years so I can afford to buy stuff again. That or I need to start my own business in hopes that I’ll have more money one day. Either way I really like both of those consoles as much or more than the 2600 for collecting and enjoyment. If you were a classic game room Youtube fan over the past 20 or so years look up Marks reviews of Colecovision and Vectrex games. He also really liked both systems.

• Like 1