IGNORED

Lynx I zener diode questions

nintensive_care

I have the console 5 voltage tune up kit for my (working) Lynx I. About to switch out the mosfet and zener diode, but I am unsure what direction to install the zener.

The zener in the kit is a through hole with an orange body and black tip on one lead.

Should the black tipped lead (cathode?) be pointing towards the TP19 as per the Lynx II? Obviously I don't want to install this the wrong way round so would appreciate advice.

image.thumb.png.d3f5c7dd20331d466a3f2c9614abefd2.png

Edited by nintensive_care
added image with proposed replacement direction

Actually, if you install it the wrong way, the Lynx just won't power on. I've done this a number of times with the surface mount version in that same kit on Lynx II units as it can be tough to see which way the original was facing. So again, if you were to install it in the wrong direction, it won't hurt it.

• Like 1

thank you both for the answers - reassuring to know that installing it the wrong way round isn't a disaster. Happy to report the Lynx is still working with a new MOSFET and Zener. Now to switch all the caps... Becoming very attached to this Lynx 1, which I picked up for just over £30 on eBay. It's certainly not mint, but is in pretty good shape for its age.

Yes I bought my faulty Lynx II on Ebay, expecting to sell it on when it was working...but I still have it.

I replaced the caps, the zener, the MOSFET. Had issues with it so started swapping out other bits and then once they were resolved had to change the LCD - I bought an original working screen from Ebay and it was so much better than the one I had (terrible colour bleed).

After all that work I had sunk so many hours, and far more money then I expected into it that I couldn't part with it (plus I've built a small library of games), so I think I'll keep it a while longer ?

Edited by bobmoo79
  • Like 1