IGNORED

Ebay ATR8000.

doctor_x

On 10/29/2019 at 2:44 AM, doctor_x said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this, my very first computer was sadly no Atari but a Colecovision ADAM which ran CP/M.
It's the first OS that I started with and as such ATR8000 is shipping to Belgium :)

• Like 6

Just now, Lastic said:

Thanks a lot for sharing this, my very first computer was sadly no Atari but a Colecovision ADAM which ran CP/M.
It's the first OS that I started with and as such ATR8000 is shipping to Belgium :)

Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

The disks are on their way to @AtariGeezer but I managed to make a fresh ATR of the MyDOS disk before going in the mail in case these are not archived / out there. I forgot there was an alternate version on the backside as well. V3.013 had a bad sector 581, but a 2nd try with disk wizard resulted in a copied sector that appears to have no errors. It's allocated to a text file, and I don't see any garbled data.. Sector link appears sequential with the previous and next sectors..

Maybe AtariGeezer can see if the CP/M disk is readable / copyable from CP/M...

I no longer have to look at these disks to remind me of my guilt lol.

Cheers!

ATR8000 SYSDISK -- CP_M V2.2 - SER.#CP2-809-1354.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.013 FOR THE ATR8000.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.18 FOR THE ATR8000.jpg

SWP Sleeve.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.013 FOR THE ATR8000.atr SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.18 FOR THE ATR8000.atr

• Like 4

On 11/1/2019 at 4:40 PM, ClausB said:

Congrats! May I suggest a DT-80 cart and a monichrome monitor? (Just don't let Mathy see that.)

Have been reading a lot already but not sure on the monitor ?

Since I also have an Atari ST which has hi-res mode only in monochrome, it might be worthy to invest in a monitor that can be used by both machines.

And here it is, of course I just realise that my 110V to 220V converter was lend out and never returned to me, aargh ...

First look there is no board underneath so no CO-POWER motherboard , oh well, I wasn't planning on running MSDOS anyhow (yet :) )
Only thing that came shipped with it was the manual, luckily still got a US powercord laying around now only need to get a 110/220V converter.

IMG_5051.thumb.JPG.88382e648344aff46d1606e1d89f652a.JPG

IMG_5052.thumb.JPG.3e4f234591c919b797aed8a3ae1b4480.JPGIMG_5053.thumb.JPG.a10e9ca13731bc00dcb5423fe7f099df.JPG

IMG_5054.thumb.JPG.54be9fcab7b5cdb7e74287a9d33cdf4d.JPGIMG_5055.thumb.JPG.8086e856c1fe8789ce026a77a9205a88.JPG

In the meanwhile I've gathered all 58 topics discussing the ATR8000 and am reading thru them.
The thing that has been intriguing me the most , is the SASI/SCSI option.

Has anybody used this in combination with SCSI2SD ?

http://shop.codesrc.com

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ClausB said:

It has 64K RAM.

Congrats!

Thanks, now off to get a 110V/220V adapter.

In the meanwhile I've looked in my stock of old cables and found the following.

IMG_5056.thumb.JPG.9df58fad81205566603c66bf3616caca.JPGIMG_5057.thumb.JPG.97f2c61e44c4e13083d0ee960c2deebe.JPG

So it has the floppy connector that the ATR8000 has , the grey one in the middle and the IDE one on the other end.

To my understanding one may not use the twisted floppy cables ( I have a few of those also )

If I disconnect my XF551 from it's controller but keep it powered via it's PSU, should I be able to use the XF551 as a boot floppy drive on the ATR8000 ?

Lastic, congratulations on getting an ATR8000.  (Sorry to hear about the travel adapter)

I noticed your ATR8000 has one difference from mine.  The card edge connectors on yours are keyed.

There's a partial test you can do if you don't have disk drives connected.  A printer is not necessary.

In Atari BASIC type LPRINT.

If you get a timeout error (138) then the ATR8000 is not responding.

If you simply see "READY" then the print spooler function of the ATR8000 is running.

13 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

Lastic, congratulations on getting an ATR8000.  (Sorry to hear about the travel adapter)

I noticed your ATR8000 has one difference from mine.  The card edge connectors on yours are keyed.

There's a partial test you can do if you don't have disk drives connected.  A printer is not necessary.

In Atari BASIC type LPRINT.

If you get a timeout error (138) then the ATR8000 is not responding.

If you simply see "READY" then the print spooler function of the ATR8000 is running.

Thanks for the hint, I picked that up in the 58 topics I'm still reading :)

Well once the 110/220V convertor arrives tomorrow, I'll be able to check it further, the seller did show that it powered up (power LED working) .

Am I correct that I can use my XF551 to boot CP/M ? Well first have to figure out how to get a copy of it onto a floppy.

Still processing all the topics to understand what can and cannot be connected to the ATR.

2 hours ago, Lastic said:

Thanks for the hint, I picked that up in the 58 topics I'm still reading :)

Well once the 110/220V convertor arrives tomorrow, I'll be able to check it further, the seller did show that it powered up (power LED working) .

Am I correct that I can use my XF551 to boot CP/M ? Well first have to figure out how to get a copy of it onto a floppy.

Still processing all the topics to understand what can and cannot be connected to the ATR.

The ATR8000 cannot access SIO based Atari disk drives, so no, you can't use an XF551 to boot CP/M.

Also, no one has managed to make usable ATR8000 boot disks from image files, such as those from 22disk and teledisk.  I believe one sector on one track is shorter than the other sectors, making copying problematical on a personal computer.  ricortese (and others) documented the issue.   However, once you have booted CP/M, with the necessary support files one can access data disks created from imaged created by the above mentioned utilities.  The generated disks may work as is or a new disk definition may be required.  I no longer remember how this done but it is part of the CP/M basics.  Instructions should be easy to find.  I believe, there was an addendum sheet to the ATR8000 CP/M Supplement.

Fortunately for all ATR8000 owners sup8pdct (sp?) provided a workaround for not having CP/M bootdisks here.   

Now ATR8000 owners can create a boot disk and copy files over to it, and reconstruct a complete system disk.   

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

5 hours ago, Lastic said:

So it has the floppy connector that the ATR8000 has , the grey one in the middle and the IDE one on the other end.

To my understanding one may not use the twisted floppy cables ( I have a few of those also )

If you want to connect 5-1/4" FDD mechanisms to the ATR8000 you will likely need a cable with at least 2 34-conductor card edge connectors. The 34-pin connectors were used mainly for 3-1/2" mechanisms and mainboard FDD interface. You may be able to use the cable shown to connect a 3-1/2" mechanism.

34-conductor cables are also NOT IDE, that's a HDD interface standard which uses 40-conductor or 80 conductor(Ultra 66+) cables.

Edited by BillC