IGNORED

Ebay ATR8000.

doctor_x

19 minutes ago, BillC said:

If you want to connect 5-1/4" FDD mechanisms to the ATR8000 you will likely need a cable with at least 2 34-conductor card edge connectors. The 34-pin connectors were used mainly for 3-1/2" mechanisms and mainboard FDD interface. You may be able to use the cable shown to connect a 3-1/2" mechanism.

34-conductor cables are also NOT IDE, that's a HDD interface standard which uses 40-conductor or 80 conductor(Ultra 66+) cables.

Correct, I didn't realise that until I opened my XF551 and noticed that it had an card edge connector also.

So I need a cable like this , correct ?

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/24-inch-34-Pin-Card-Edge-IDC-5-25-Floppy-2-Drive-Cable-CablesOnline-FF-005/270837819768?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Couldn't I make my own cable using straight ribbon cable and 2 of these Card Edge connectors ?

Edited by Lastic

38 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

The ATR8000 cannot access SIO based Atari disk drives, so no, you can't use an XF551 to boot CP/M.

Also, no one has managed to make usable ATR8000 boot disks from image files, such as those from 22disk and teledisk.  I believe one sector on one track is shorter than the other sectors, making copying problematical on a personal computer.  ricortese (and others) documented the issue.   However, once you have booted CP/M, with the necessary support files one can access data disks created from imaged created by the above mentioned utilities.  The generated disks may work as is or a new disk definition may be required.  I no longer remember how this done but it is part of the CP/M basics.  Instructions should be easy to find.  I believe, there was an addendum sheet to the ATR8000 CP/M Supplement.

Fortunately for all ATR8000 owners sup8pdct (sp?) provided a workaround for not having CP/M bootdisks here.   

Now ATR8000 owners can create a boot disk and copy files over to it, and reconstruct a complete system disk.   

-SteveS

Thanks a lot once again for that info, just for clarification, I did mean to take the diskdrive out of the XF551 and connect it directly to the ATR8000 (card edge to card edge) whilst only using the PSU of the XF551 to power it, even that wouldn't work neither ?

8 minutes ago, Lastic said:

Thanks a lot once again for that info, just for clarification, I did mean to take the diskdrive out of the XF551 and connect it directly to the ATR8000 (card edge to card edge) whilst only using the PSU of the XF551 to power it, even that wouldn't work neither ?

I have a XF551 hooked up that way and it does work :)

• Thanks 1

OK I think I found a temporary solution until I buy a cleaner cable so I can create disks tomorrow and be able to boot the ATR8000.

I got 2 cables from my old stock.

IMG_5059.thumb.JPG.444b674caf360532ec1ff990528f5719.JPGIMG_5060.thumb.JPG.95bb61a31807322012b01c7eb16c93da.JPG

The bottom one has Card Edge then 3,5" , again 3,5" , then Card Edge and then the connector the PCB.

If I untwist the cable ,reseat the Card Edge and then at the end add the Card Edge connector of the top one, I should have 3 Card Edge connectors I can use ?

28 minutes ago, Lastic said:

OK I think I found a temporary solution until I buy a cleaner cable so I can create disks tomorrow and be able to boot the ATR8000.

I got 2 cables from my old stock.

IMG_5059.thumb.JPG.444b674caf360532ec1ff990528f5719.JPGIMG_5060.thumb.JPG.95bb61a31807322012b01c7eb16c93da.JPG

The bottom one has Card Edge then 3,5" , again 3,5" , then Card Edge and then the connector the PCB.

If I untwist the cable ,reseat the Card Edge and then at the end add the Card Edge connector of the top one, I should have 3 Card Edge connectors I can use ?

I've done this once or twice but IDC connectors aren't meant to be reused.  The cable will be weak where the connector was formerly attached.   I think my current ATR8000 is such a cable.   I didn't have many non-keyed connector lying around.  I couldn't remove the key tabs from the keyed connectors.  

Check the drive in your XF551.  If the connector is non-keyed you'll have to deal with the problem.

-SteveS

1 hour ago, Lastic said:

Correct, I didn't realise that until I opened my XF551 and noticed that it had an card edge connector also.

So I need a cable like this , correct ?

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/24-inch-34-Pin-Card-Edge-IDC-5-25-Floppy-2-Drive-Cable-CablesOnline-FF-005/270837819768?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Couldn't I make my own cable using straight ribbon cable and 2 of these Card Edge connectors ?

As you stated in other posts, you can remove the connectors after the twist then crimp on 34-conductor IDC edge connectors where desired while eliminating the twist.

It should be possible to use a twisted cable as well for 2/3 drives, but would require a jumper between DS0 and MOTOR signals(pins 10/16) on a 3-1/2" drive connector or the ATR8000 PCB(Atari used a trace between MOTOR/DS0 on the XF551 PCB to implement drive select).  This would mean DS0 couldn't be used for a mechanism, but would still allow use of DS1/DS3(DS2 would be switched to DS1 after the twist(2 drive mechanisms would be configured DS1, just like on PCs).

Edited by BillC

2 hours ago, Lastic said:

The grey connector is male, same as used by PC motherboards and 3-1/2" drives.  

This cable could function as an extension if plugged into an untwisted 3-1/2" connector on another floppy cable..

So 110V/220V convertor arrived.

Since no cables came with the ATR8000 , I made a cable to connect the COMPUTER IN to the SIO port of my 800XE according to the manual.

First switched ATR8000 on with nothing connected, it hums and the power LED works.

Then connected SIO , BASIC typed LPRINT, Error 138.

Powered off everything and took the cover off.

Switch on ATR8000 , no more humming, placed the cover back over it , it still hums :)

Switch of ATR, connected XF551 via Floppy Card Edge connector, powered up floppy, switched on ATR, the LED on the floppy indicates its doing something

but after switching on the 800XE , LPRINT , still Error 138.

Disconnected everything, changed both jumpers on PCB to TERM instead of ATR.

Connected 800XE, powered on ATR than 800XE, keyboard no longer functions on 800XE (guess that's normal since it's a terminal now) 

Disconnected everything.

COMPUTER IN to SIO 800XE

PERIPHERAL OUT to SIO 1050

Powered up 1050 with disk inside, let it spin until it stops

Powered up ATR8000, 1050 spins for a while

Powered up 800XE, goes to BASIC, type DOS, Bobterm (MyDos) disk boots from 1050. 

Anything else I can test ? Should I just create the CP/M disk and see my mileage ?

Edited by Lastic

18 minutes ago, Lastic said:

So 110V/220V convertor arrived.

Since no cables came with the ATR8000 , I made a cable to connect the COMPUTER IN to the SIO port of my 800XE according to the manual.

First switched ATR8000 on with nothing connected, it hums and the power LED works.

Then connected SIO , BASIC typed LPRINT, Error 138.

Powered off everything and took the cover off.

Switch on ATR8000 , no more humming, placed the cover back over it , it still hums :)

Switch of ATR, connected XF551 via Floppy Card Edge connector, powered up floppy, switched on ATR, the LED on the floppy indicates its doing something

but after switching on the 800XE , LPRINT , still Error 138.

Disconnected everything, changed both jumpers on PCB to TERM instead of ATR.

Connected 800XE, powered on ATR than 800XE, keyboard no longer functions on 800XE (guess that's normal since it's a terminal now) 

Anything else I can test ? Should I just create the CP/M disk and see my mileage ?

As I said earlier the response to LPRINT should be simply "READY"

With a disk drive connected and powered when you start the ATR8000 the head should cycle.

If those aren't happening something is wrong with your cable or your ATR8000

TERM mode is for using a dumb terminal, a Lear Siegler ADM-31 or compatible as the console of the ATR8000, instead of using the ATARI. 

When an Atari is connected there's no need to change the jumpers.   A special terminal emulator is used for running CP/M on the ATR8000 with the Atari being the console.  Autoterm was supplied with the ATR8000.   Claus Bucholz'  (sp?) DT-80 can also be used. Omnivew/Omniview XE Operating System replacements have a built-in terminal emulator for the ATR8000.  There was also an Autoterm-80. I can't recall if that became available through SWP or not. All terminal emulators for the ATR8000, except the original Autoterm, use software 80 column mode.

-SteveS

OK well 

<<As I said earlier the response to LPRINT should be simply "READY" >>

It is not, its error 138.

<<With a disk drive connected and powered when you start the ATR8000 the head should cycle.>>

It does.

<<If those aren't happening something is wrong with your cable or your ATR8000>>

I wired from pin to pin, I double-checked my wiring, I guess using a full wired SIO cable is out of the question because it will carry too many signals ?

18 minutes ago, Lastic said:

OK well 

<<As I said earlier the response to LPRINT should be simply "READY" >>

It is not, its error 138.

<<With a disk drive connected and powered when you start the ATR8000 the head should cycle.>>

It does.

<<If those aren't happening something is wrong with your cable or your ATR8000>>

I wired from pin to pin, I double-checked my wiring, I guess using a full wired SIO cable is out of the question because it will carry too many signals ?

It's actually odd that SWP would provide that SIO cable figure.   Most people would use a normal Atari SIO cable, all 13 wires connected.   I guess the description is in the manual for thoroughness.

It's a long shot but the RAM and EPROM are socketed in the ATR8000 you might try reseating them.

I wish I could offer more troubleshooting tips.  Mine has never actually failed.  I thought it did but those times were more examples of how the ATR8000 doesn't like to play nice with other SIO devices.

-SteveS

I appreciate all the ATR 8000 discussion on this thread. Keep it coming! I am relatively new to the ATR as I never had one back in the day. I now have three ATRs. Interestingly, one doesn't have the guide notch for the 34-pin floppy drive connector. Isn't that weird? I haven't been able to locate a 34-pin ribbon cable that doesn't have the notch! I have attached below photos of the front and back of the three (middle one is a 64K w/o guide notch) along with a photo of the 34-pin floppy disk connectors for the top two. Notice the lack of a guide notch in lower one. Has anyone seen an ATR 8000 without a guide notch on the floppy disk connector???

ATR-8000s-Front-scaled.jpg

ATR-8000s-Back-scaled.jpg

ATR-8000s-Disk-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scitari said:

I appreciate all the ATR 8000 discussion on this thread. Keep it coming! I am relatively new to the ATR as I never had one back in the day. I now have three ATRs. Interestingly, one doesn't have the guide notch for the 34-pin floppy drive connector. Isn't that weird? I haven't been able to locate a 34-pin ribbon cable that doesn't have the notch! I have attached below photos of the front and back of the three (middle one is a 64K w/o guide notch) along with a photo of the 34-pin floppy disk connectors for the top two. Notice the lack of a guide notch in lower one. Has anyone seen an ATR 8000 without a guide notch on the floppy disk connector???

Yes, mine has non-keyed card edge connectors.  Back in 1983-1984 I made my own cables.  Most of the IDC connectors I needed were obtainable at Radio Shack (which doesn't help you now).  The 36-pin connector was a bit of trouble to find as was the ribbon cable.

My floppy cable eventually failed due to my swapping it often between 3 pairs of floppy drives.    In my parts pin I found an old PC AT (Clone) set of cables that were un-keyed.   I unflipped the twist in the cable and reused the connector. 

I recently saw the 34-pin card connectors (non-keyed) on Ebay but didn't order any.  I probably should. 

Here are a pair.  Notes mention non-keyed.    

-SteveS

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, a8isa1 said:

Yes, mine has non-keyed card edge connectors.  Back in 1983-1984 I made my own cables.  Most of the IDC connectors I needed were obtainable at Radio Shack (which doesn't help you now).  The 36-pin connector was a bit of trouble to find as was the ribbon cable.

My floppy cable eventually failed due to my swapping it often between 3 pairs of floppy drives.    In my parts pin I found an old PC AT (Clone) set of cables that were un-keyed.   I unflipped the twist in the cable and reused the connector. 

I recently saw the 34-pin card connectors (non-keyed) on Ebay but didn't order any.  I probably should. 

Here are a pair.  Notes mention non-keyed.    

-SteveS

Thanks! I have been looking for these. Ordered a few.

5 hours ago, ClausB said:

My friend Lance sold DT-80 to SWP for the price of two ATR-8000s. I still have mine but haven't powered it in decades. I believe SWP distributed DT-80 on disk and ACE sold a cart version.

My copy of DT-80 was on cartridge, a grey cartridge, with a dot matrix label.

Before DT-80, SWP was distributing their own home grown terminal called AUTO-TERM, with a version for BIT3 equipped 800s called AUTOTERM3 on floppy, alongside the CP/M master disk and MyDOS 3.013/3.18.

-Thom

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 9:50 PM, Nezgar said:

The disks are on their way to @AtariGeezer but I managed to make a fresh ATR of the MyDOS disk before going in the mail in case these are not archived / out there. I forgot there was an alternate version on the backside as well. V3.013 had a bad sector 581, but a 2nd try with disk wizard resulted in a copied sector that appears to have no errors. It's allocated to a text file, and I don't see any garbled data.. Sector link appears sequential with the previous and next sectors..

Maybe AtariGeezer can see if the CP/M disk is readable / copyable from CP/M...

I no longer have to look at these disks to remind me of my guilt lol.

Cheers!

ATR8000 SYSDISK -- CP_M V2.2 - SER.#CP2-809-1354.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.013 FOR THE ATR8000.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.18 FOR THE ATR8000.jpg

SWP Sleeve.jpg

SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.013 FOR THE ATR8000.atr 90.02 kB · 7 downloads SWP PN.MYDOS D#04-19-84 MYDOS V3.18 FOR THE ATR8000.atr 90.02 kB · 7 downloads

These Disks arrived today :)  Thanks again Ryan ?

Will test the CP/M disk soon...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1