IGNORED

Returning to TI after 35 years

X99User

Hi all,

I have been lurking here quite a lot recently, so I thought it was time to introduce myself and say "hi".

My first ever computer was a TI99/4a in about 1983. At that time, I frankly considered buying it a mistake, because of limited availability of software and the very expensive accessories that were necessary to do practically anything beyond BASIC programming and playing games. I had a console, Extended Basic cartridge and that was it. I sold it quite quickly, bought a succession of Sinclair Spectrums, then a Sinclair QL, Atari ST and since the early 1990s, various PCs and Macs. I program for a living, so I suppose the TI deserves some credit for teaching me programming.

Anyway, I have recently rediscovered the TI via Classic99, after barely thinking about it since I got rid of mine in the mid-1980s. I have been trying the various programming environments (various Basics, P-Code Pascal, Assembly, Fortran and Forth) as well as a few games (I was astounded to see that someone had ported some Ultimate games to the TI!). I have also been reading this forum and elsewhere. While I knew that the TI could be a reasonably capable machine if you added enough bits to it, I hadn't realised what a bizarre architecture it had :) I find myself quite hooked on it.

D.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I too, welcome you back, even though I'm sorta on my way out (hardware wise, anyway).  I was born too soon for the micro-computer revolution.  I was aware of main-frame and mini computers during my youth and USAF time back in the 1960's.  I was trained in electronics for communications equipment (micro-wave & carrier systems).  My first civilian job was with PT&T in Sacramento, but not in their micro-wave & carrier system; central office switching systems.  Electra-mechanical to begin with, as their fist electronic switching system (ESS-1) trial at Edwards Air Force Base failed.  Over the years I transitioned from vacuum tubes to transistors, to IC's, to LSIC's, and other solid state devices, from analog to digital, which was right up my alley.  I also went from tech to engineer to marketing; domestic then international.  I traveled the world for over two decades with various companies/corporations; such as, NEC, Siemens and RELTEC (a conglomeration of Reliance Electric, Reliable Electric, Lorain Power & Electronics), and Marconi.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with the TI-99/4A/4P, 9640 Geneve and mucho supporting devices; floppy disks, hard disks and NanoPEB's, etc.  Now I have too unload it all as fast as possible, due to home family situation.  This means some brave soul out there will have to come get it.  There's a lot of it; hardware, parts, floppies, hard drives, and documentation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1