IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

4 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

And slightly related, what is the little green rectangle I see sometimes in the upper left hand part of these screens? Looks like there maybe some kind of text or something there that I can't quite make out.

The green rectangle in the upper left is the F18a version information screen. This is part of the F18a core and is displayed on a standard cv with the F18a installed.

2 hours ago, Gandor said:

Could any of these problems be sd card related?
Maybe try to reformat the card.

Not a bad idea.  Do you think that could help, Brian?  I get issues with cartridge and SD alike, though.  Sometimes I'll hear the game's music in the background, but no picture of the game itself. 

Edited by unsafe357
pre-coffee typos

18 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

I see someone logged an issue on github about the reset button generating random noise and screen artifacts when pressing it. I agree that should be at a minimum quiet, and preferably a plain black screen. But I'd be happy if at least the noise was suppressed. I was going to bring that up, along with one other minor annoyance.

That would be me. ;) I'm going to try to post videos of all the Phoenix and game bugs I find to help isolate everything...

3 minutes ago, unsafe357 said:

Not a bad idea.  Do you think that could help, Brian?  I get issues with cartridge and SD alike, though.  Sometimes I'll her the game's music in the background, but no picture of the game itself. 

The unable to read directory issue would make me think there is an sd card issue. You could try and format the sd card to Fat32 or use a different sd card formatted to fat32. The samsung tv giving the resolution message is probably Issue 1 in github, to which there should be a fix(no ETA though). You could try running the 2600 core on the Samsung to see if it shows up. Not sure what to say about the first TV image as I haven't seen that one before.

17 minutes ago, unsafe357 said:

Not a bad idea.  Do you think that could help, Brian?  I get issues with cartridge and SD alike, though.  Sometimes I'll hear the game's music in the background, but no picture of the game itself. 

I had a bad sd card that quit working after a few days and had to use a new one. Preferrably a Sandisk 2GB and reformat to FAT32 before use. Copy a fresh copy of the cores from your PC and use a fresh copy of games from your PC of as many files as possible to the new sd card rather than copying from old sd card to new.

36 minutes ago, Swami said:

I had a bad sd card that quit working after a few days and had to use a new one. Preferrably a Sandisk 2GB and reformat to FAT32 before use. Copy a fresh copy of the cores from your PC and use a fresh copy of games from your PC of as many files as possible to the new sd card rather than copying from old sd card to new.

Cool, will give that a shot.  Replacing the SD card made all your issues disappear?

Just now, unsafe357 said:

Cool, will give that a shot.  Replacing the SD card made all your issues disappear?

It fixed the garbled text issue. I never had any problems with display  or sound. Just having issues with some of the games not playing or not playing correctly that everyone else is having.

21 hours ago, Swami said:

Me, too. Hopefully, the 2600 cart adapter will fix a lot of the loading issues, so the FPGA does not have to try to be all different kinds of carts. I'm hoping, but really have no idea, if the cart slot and/or a harmony cart can do all the heavy lifting on the cart hardware side.

I've noticed that nobody from CollectorVision responds to anyone mentioning the 2600 cart adapter.  Me and AtariLeaf actually asked about it in the forums recently and got no answer.  I hope it's just a case of "oh blimey, we've only just got the Phoenix out the door, give us a chance" and not a change of heart.  The adapter is a big big want for me but only if it fixes the issues we are experiencing from loading the ROMs, which is an unknown.  So far, only about half the 2600 games I've tried work properly.

1 minute ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I've noticed that nobody from CollectorVision responds to anyone mentioning the 2600 cart adapter.  Me and AtariLeaf actually asked about it in the forums recently and got no answer.  I hope it's just a case of "oh blimey, we've only just got the Phoenix out the door, give us a chance" and not a change of heart.  The adapter is a big big want for me but only if it fixes the issues we are experiencing from loading the ROMs, which is an unknown.  So far, only about half the 2600 games I've tried work properly.

It is being worked on, but is still a long way off as the recent system release has everyone busy.

249220048_74472656_560749554662614_6433960914642272256_n(1).thumb.jpg.6063650e32095a22d57b0f34e4f87d90.jpg786204867_73482790_552470862243754_4409025821902110720_n(1).thumb.jpg.84636a23fa4405247ef9c1fd0cdd106b.jpg

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

It is being worked on, but is still a long way off as the recent system release has everyone busy.

249220048_74472656_560749554662614_6433960914642272256_n(1).thumb.jpg.6063650e32095a22d57b0f34e4f87d90.jpg786204867_73482790_552470862243754_4409025821902110720_n(1).thumb.jpg.84636a23fa4405247ef9c1fd0cdd106b.jpg

????????????????

I've never wished I had computer and technical skills more than right now because I'd so volunteer my services for free to help with this.

Edited by insertclevernamehere
Additional comment

36 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I hope it's just a case of "oh blimey, we've only just got the Phoenix out the door, give us a chance" 

^THIS ^

We're all working on stuff for the Phoenix (hardware and sofware related) 

As for myself, I can't answer technical questions about the Phoenix, I leave this to Brian

I'm currently working on a bunch of exclusive games for the Phoenix with other programmers
Here's one of them

dt1.jpg

dt2.jpg

dt3.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

^THIS ^

We're all working on stuff for the Phoenix (hardware and sofware related) 

As for myself, I can't answer technical questions about the Phoenix, I leave this to Brian

I'm currently working on a bunch of exclusive games for the Phoenix with other programmers
Here's one of them

dt1.jpg

dt2.jpg

dt3.jpg

It's come a long way from Lord of the Dungeon or Escape from the Mind Master.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

????????????????

I've never wished I had computer and technical skills more than right now because I'd so volunteer my services for free to help with this.

That's ok. Those of us that don't have killer skills and such can, and do, participate in product improvement by testing and reporting bugs and edge cases. And making suggestions too.

All the bug reports and "complaints" that go into making emulators for example, do you think they are just to bitch and moan and complain? Perhaps 5% are, the other 95% are done with the intent of improving the product.

It's like in the Altirra threads. Not a page goes by that someone isn't making a suggestion or reporting something. As a result it's become the best Atari 8-bit emu in town!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

I've now uploaded a bunch of video examples of issues/bugs I've experienced with video and sound and they are now attached to my bug reports.

Hope that helps, happy to make more...

May even try a completely different SD card and routing through an HDMI switcher as well to see what happens...

1 hour ago, ColecoJoe said:

Man so much talk about the Atari core ... I hope you guys didn't get the Phoenix primarily for the 2600 games because it's main function is to play Colecovision games. 

Is it time to re-post my woodgrain Phoenix rendering?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

Gotta ask THE question simply because I am so surprised that no one has thrown this out there yet...

For everyone experiencing issues, did you buy the ADAM style version of the Phoenix? ?

I just tried mine and when I turned it on it wiped the SD card ?.  CollectorVision really did think of everything for the complete ADAM experience.  I am rather annoyed though as they didn't even offer me a scholarship as recompense ?

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I just tried mine and when I turned it on it wiped the SD card ?.  CollectorVision really did think of everything for the complete ADAM experience.  I am rather annoyed though as they didn't even offer me a scholarship as recompense ?

LOL! 

We should have sent a Cabbage Patch doll with each orders! :lol:

• Haha 4