IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

10 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Not that it matters now since the game is released, but there is an easier way to detect the frequency on a cv

Actually the game was coded since 2010 for MSX ?

I have two HX-10 (MSX1 PAL), but changed the VDP of one of them to a 9928. So the BIOS says it's a PAL computer, but the VDP is NTSC.

In order to ensure all machines could play the game in same conditions I used this detection routine. It's independent from BIOS and it works on MSX, Coleco and Sega Master System (and probably more, but not tested).

5 hours ago, SapphiRe said:

Actually the game was coded since 2010 for MSX ?

I have two HX-10 (MSX1 PAL), but changed the VDP of one of them to a 9928. So the BIOS says it's a PAL computer, but the VDP is NTSC.

In order to ensure all machines could play the game in same conditions I used this detection routine. It's independent from BIOS and it works on MSX, Coleco and Sega Master System (and probably more, but not tested).

Yes, that makes a lot of sense from a cross platform perspective.

• Like 1

Quick note on HDMI.  The original release would not output sound through my Onkyo receiver.  I am not certain if it is just coincidence or if something changed with the core updates, but since installing the latest core to date audio now works through my receiver.  Whatever it is, I am much happier now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SapphiRe said:

As promised, here's a picture of QBIQS showing that green tones look identical. The design of green squares is the same as the red and blue ones.

I have no idea why is this happening. Will try on a different tv ASAP.

That's definitely not what I'm seeing on my Dell monitor or my Sharp TV.  I see the correct two tone green pattern in those blocks.

Have you tried one of the CV test roms that display the colour palette?  Does this show both shades of green?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

That's definitely not what I'm seeing on my Dell monitor or my Sharp TV.  I see the correct two tone green pattern in those blocks.

Have you tried one of the CV test roms that display the colour palette?  Does this show both shades of green?

Nope, I will search it and test it.

• Like 1

I got mine a few days ago...And I've had really great luck so far!   I feel bad for anyone having issues, because from what little I've tried, it seemed to work very well.   I was Amazed at how sharp and perfect Dark Cavern (Atari 2600) looked and played!  None of the problems like with emulators either, where the robots hug the walls and dodge shots like on Flashbacks and my RetroN 5.   And I played Bank Heist, a game I owned BITD and still have, but haven't played in forever and I did notice an occasional rumbly earthquake like effect (with the screen shaking) that I assume is wrong, but may have to try the original again to see...(It's been a while)

Anyway here's a pic before I tried it out, with some controllers etc., including my custom Edladdin controller, and a Brand New Coleco Controller, unopened for years and years...I figured the time was right to tear it open! 

image.thumb.jpeg.191cdcf338cf3f828f16efea5739476e.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, masschamber said:

figure they post frequently enough here that an estimate will show, I'm from the US and ordered this June so I'm just trying to gauge the likely hood of it arriving while I'm away over thanksgiving week

So, pretty good chance it will be floating around your hometown Thanksgiving weekend if it's two-week delivery.

11 hours ago, masschamber said:

figure they post frequently enough here that an estimate will show, I'm from the US and ordered this June so I'm just trying to gauge the likely hood of it arriving while I'm away over thanksgiving week

I ordered mine 1 year ago and i just pickup last week,it took a year

22 hours ago, masschamber said:

so do we have any idea about how much of the initial batch has been shipped?

Toby shipped about 500 Phoenix so far (excluding the early access ones) 

There was about 15 faulty boards, sadly :(
So there's about 15 people who would have to wait a little longer
We're sincerely sorry about that, we'll get those repaired and send them ASAP 

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, SapphiRe said:

As promised, here's a picture of QBIQS showing that green tones look identical. The design of green squares is the same as the red and blue ones.

I have no idea why is this happening. Will try on a different tv ASAP.

IMG_20191109_172244_109.jpg

I can see the 2 colour green pattern on the phoenix for this game.. I'm running the hdmi out to a rca video convertor box. It's probably just the tv settings.

• Like 1

Still having fun with my Phoenix. Adding the HDMI switch eliminated the HDMI issues. I received the 8bitdo SN30 Retro kit SNES wireless controller today and it works very well. The love of the ColecoVision by the CollectorVision team is so evident. The manual looks so much like the original CV manual...  it is really cool to see those little details.

Definitely was worth the wait!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, digress said:

I can see the 2 colour green pattern on the phoenix for this game.. I'm running the hdmi out to a rca video convertor box. It's probably just the tv settings.

Will try to change TV settings while playing the game and check if it works. Many thanks!

19 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

The PS2 port is 5V and runs through a voltage translator to 3.3V into the FPGA.

I was thinking that the ten Atari Trackball hacks also have Atari ST mouse hack versions done around the same time and I've used Atari ST mouse output directly on the ColecoVision with a passive re-wiring , so I think an update that directed the roller controller output from controller ports 1 and 2 to FPGA atari pins 1-4 on controller 1 could be used to make use of the roller controller or its replacement as a true Atari trackball. I asked about PS/2 port, since it could power the new replacement roller controller J-F had mentioned once rather than a separate plugin like the current roller controller. Just an idea for the future.

Every time I do research it just pisses me off.
Reading a ways back in time about this kickstarter program there is a lot to yak about but to get to the point I am reading that in order to use HDMI you actually have to license it which bugs me to no end.

Exactly what television out there has anything other than HDMI...
The last TV that had a VGA connector I owned was maybe 2006???
And you are not about to get 4k over VGA that I know of.

So basically SONY and the gang has scammed the world into using that port exclusively with no alternative and gets a cut of every sale.

Fill in the blanks please.