IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

3 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

New core updates:.......

Great work - huge thanks to the team.  The voices in QBIQS and the flicker menu work great now.  Also thanks for adding the core revision numbers to the service menu ?

Only issue I've found (and this may not be new to the CV core 6) but when I try and play Wizard of Wor via ROM on the Phoenix SD card the game does not run.  The ROM runs fine on the AtariMax Ultimate SD cart inserted into the Phoenix as does the original cart.  I've added the issue to GitHub.

I finally found some time tonight to try my two Phoenixes. The few carts I tried seem to work well, although Gauntlet didn't want to start without a couple of reset button presses (but it worked fine after it booted correctly). I also got some weird results playing Ghost on my AtariMax SD cart, with the game making weird sounds at boot, bugging out graphically at times and even crashing once or twice. I tried the same ROM of Ghost with the same AtariMax SD cart on my good ol' vanilla ColecoVision and saw no problems.

I haven't updated the cores yet with the latest revisions, I'll do that tomorrow. I'd say this is a good product so far, but it should be expected that aging carts (or even more recent carts with some mileage on them) can have trouble running on the Phoenix. That's been my (limited) experience so far anyway.  :) 

I finally got my Phoenix today after some customs delays, so to Collectorvision, amazing work as always.

Hooked it up to my TV to check compatibility, no problem at all which is great.

I only had time to try it out with a few regular cartridges. The included Sydney Hunter (beautiful game), Goonies and Road Fighter. Sydney and Goonies works perfectly as far as I can tell. Road Fighter however crashes/or maybe re-boots after start up Opcode screen, is it my cartridge perhaps or a known problem?

Tomorrow I will start messing with SD card/Core/back-up/vault roms, is there any place (www) where documentation regarding how to proceed/handle this is collected in a structured fashion :) I know there is a lot here on Atariage but it seems to be spread out in quit a few different forum threads?

Thank you

38 minutes ago, smurfbert said:

I finally got my Phoenix today after some customs delays, so to Collectorvision, amazing work as always.

Hooked it up to my TV to check compatibility, no problem at all which is great.

I only had time to try it out with a few regular cartridges. The included Sydney Hunter (beautiful game), Goonies and Road Fighter. Sydney and Goonies works perfectly as far as I can tell. Road Fighter however crashes/or maybe re-boots after start up Opcode screen, is it my cartridge perhaps or a known problem?

Tomorrow I will start messing with SD card/Core/back-up/vault roms, is there any place (www) where documentation regarding how to proceed/handle this is collected in a structured fashion :) I know there is a lot here on Atariage but it seems to be spread out in quit a few different forum threads?

Thank you

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Did someone post the Atari roms that are optimized for the phoenix or was that a brain fart because i cant find them

I can't really say they were optimized for the Phoenix, but they were optimized for un-enhanced flash storage like the 2600 Cuttle Cart, Krocodile Kart and flashback portable, so many should work better than the originals. Some, even though they work, may be finicky or have glitches, but should be playable.

Ones in the set 2 question folder are most uncertain. The ones in the flashback paddle folder may have been done quickly and the paddle only moves the ship to 3 or 4 horizontal  positions instead of smooth. Some may have true joystick conversions. Others in that folder were hacked to work on the flashback portable with alternatives to keypad (like Star Raiders). Instructions should be on the forum somewhere.  

I didn't have anything to do with the conversions, I just collected them together for group testing. I will start a thread for ones that don't work.

2600 for Phoenix.zip

• Like 2

I just started playing my Phoenix console and noticed two issues:

1) when I plug the console directly into my Sony TV I get a small picture in the middle of the screen. The image is not scaling. I do get sound.

2) when I plug the console into a HDMI 4x1 Goronya switch the image scales to the screen but I don’t get sound. When the console first comes in I hear a few crackles. When I plug in the SNES mini, using the same cable I get perfect sound.

Anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks

1) when I plug the console directly into my Sony TV I get a small picture in the middle of the screen. The image is not scaling. I do get sound.

2) when I plug the console into a HDMI 4x1 Goronya switch the image scales to the screen but I don’t get sound. When the console first comes in I hear a few crackles. When I plug in the SNES mini, using the same cable I get perfect sound.

Thanks
Your first issue sounds like the tv isn't scaling 480p properly. The SNES mini is either 720p or 1080p (I forget which), which the TV scales properly.

6 hours ago, vazquezrick said:

Thanks

What model TV is the Sony? It sounds like the aspect ratio is set to Just scan instead of 4:3. 

20 minutes ago, mingus said:
6 hours ago, vazquezrick said:

Your first issue sounds like the tv isn't scaling 480p properly. The SNES mini is either 720p or 1080p (I forget which), which the TV scales properly.

Check your TVs scaling settings, hopefully one of them will allow you to get it to scale the 480p output from the Phoenix to fullscreen.

Edited by Ikrananka

My phoenix has not arrived yet :(.

it has to be in germany, but it is in GreatBritain ?

tracking will show this:

Nov. 15

2:02 pm

International shipment has arrived in a foreign country

Gblala,

and Gblala is :

Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre (HWDC) is a sorting office for international mail operated by Royal Mail. It is situated in Langley, Berkshire near Slough, England and opened in 2003.[1] The centre is often referred to as 'GBLALA' in mail tracking information

but why England ? And not germany ?

On 11/24/2019 at 2:02 PM, smurfbert said:

I just tested Road Fighter and it doesn't work, along with a few other early Opcode Games release (Magical Tree & Sky Jaguar).  I've reported the issue here: https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/18

53 minutes ago, thunder-rabbit said:

tracking will show this:

Nov. 15

Gblala,

and Gblala is :

Heathrow Worldwide Distribution Centre (HWDC) is a sorting office for international mail operated by Royal Mail. It is situated in Langley, Berkshire near Slough, England and opened in 2003.[1] The centre is often referred to as 'GBLALA' in mail tracking information

...and you are where? Germany?

Yes in germany

tracking will show this:

Nov. 15

Gblala,

and Gblala is :

Has anyone tried Cosmic Avenger on the Phoenix?  (I've finally had a little bit of time to check out some things)...The music in the beginning and at the end is off, though the gameplay in the middle is fine.   Playing some other games I would occasionally notice an odd sound effect, like a "Bonk!" sound that shouldn't be there, but nothing as obvious as Cosmic Avenger...

PS  I tried the ROM and the cart, playing Skill Level 3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Has anyone tried Cosmic Avenger on the Phoenix?  (I've finally had a little bit of time to check out some things)...The music in the beginning and at the end is off, though the gameplay in the middle is fine.   Playing some other games I would occasionally notice an odd sound effect, like a "Bonk!" sound that shouldn't be there, but nothing as obvious as Cosmic Avenger...

Have you updated to the latest rev of the cv core (6).

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:57 AM, GoldLeader said:

I played cosmic avenger last night. Didn't notice any sound issues and I haven't updated my core to the current version yet but I may not be the best judge. I have an HDMI to composite adapter running between my Phoenix and a crt tv because my HDMI Toshiba was making a horrible background noise that hasn't been solved to my knowledge 

I guess I should update the core and try again

• Like 1