IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

5 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I played cosmic avenger last night. Didn't notice any sound issues and I haven't updated my core to the current version yet but I may not be the best judge. I have an HDMI to composite adapter running between my Phoenix and a crt tv because my HDMI Toshiba was making a horrible background noise that hasn't been solved to my knowledge 

I guess I should update the core and try again

On 11/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, Bmack36 said:

Have you updated to the latest rev of the cv core (6).

Thanks AtariLeaf and Bmack36!

I got the same issue with the core it came with And with Core (6)...

17 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

I wonder if this is another tv specific issue? Do you have another tv to try?

That's a good call!   I was running audio from the TV out to my stereo (in some form of 5.1 sound I think)...I meant to listen to the TV audio directly, but I haven't yet.  This is something I will try.

Also I have another HD TV in my bedroom I could try...And I have one of those adapters to go back down to Composite (like you've mentioned), but I haven't even opened it yet...I could try it out on my CRT in the Atari Room (as I call it) and see how that goes...

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 1:57 AM, GoldLeader said:

Has anyone tried Cosmic Avenger on the Phoenix?  (I've finally had a little bit of time to check out some things)...The music in the beginning and at the end is off, though the gameplay in the middle is fine.   Playing some other games I would occasionally notice an odd sound effect, like a "Bonk!" sound that shouldn't be there, but nothing as obvious as Cosmic Avenger...

PS  I tried the ROM and the cart, playing Skill Level 3.

I just tried it on my setup and didn't notice any odd music or sounds (tried both ROM and cart and skill 3).

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thunder-rabbit said:

I have a problem with Comic Bakery. With the cartridge inserted the screen is, after the bootscreen, Black.

Maybe you have a solution

Is this the CollectorVision release? I just tried my cart and the game started and played fine. Perhaps try cleaning your cart contacts and see if that makes any difference.

On 11/29/2019 at 1:57 AM, GoldLeader said:

Has anyone tried Cosmic Avenger on the Phoenix?  (I've finally had a little bit of time to check out some things)...The music in the beginning and at the end is off, though the gameplay in the middle is fine.   Playing some other games I would occasionally notice an odd sound effect, like a "Bonk!" sound that shouldn't be there, but nothing as obvious as Cosmic Avenger...

PS  I tried the ROM and the cart, playing Skill Level 3.

Well I tried it with the sound direct from the TV and I tried it on my bedroom TV.   Same issue, but so far it's Only in the beginning and end music for Cosmic Avenger!  I tried Super Cobra.  No issues.  I tried Venture since it has a lot of music as these things go and it sounded perfect to my ears...

12 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

Yes, Can you update the service core from the first post and re-take the picture. Go to the service menu and press 3 to update core after you have the new service.phx file on your sd card.

OK,

I've done that.  (FWIW, I still have the sound issue).

Now that screen looks like this:  (Sorry for the lousy picture)

image.thumb.jpeg.6532341c618c66fa55a6394cd0a610f4.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

It is correct. Make sure when you download that it doesn't add a (1) or anything like that. Same when transferring to the sd card. Then power it on and hit # to go to service menu. Then hit 1 for install core and then 1 for cv core. The system LED should flash purple while it is updating.

Thanks Bmack36 you mad Genius!!

I have good news!

OK so what must have happened was I got my Service core installed but not my main core which must  have been 3 from the get go...Doing it all again I got to Rev 6 and The sound issue with Cosmic Avenger is gone!!!

Now one thing I've fully noticed is that my living room TV has No HDMI issues...But my bedroom TV needs to have the HDMI cable unplugged and replugged in after every use.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Now one thing I've fully noticed is that my living room TV has No HDMI issues...But my bedroom TV needs to have the HDMI cable unplugged and replugged in after every use.

With your bedroom TV does the LED on your Phoenix turn red when you turn the Phoenix off?  If you wait a while does the red LED then turn off?

• Like 1

Just now, Ikrananka said:

With your bedroom TV does the LED on your Phoenix turn red when you turn the Phoenix off?  If you wait a while does the red LED then turn off?

IIRC, Sometimes it turns red...Pretty sure it doesn't always turn red though.  At any rate unplugging and plugging seems to work...

Just now, GoldLeader said:

IIRC, Sometimes it turns red...Pretty sure it doesn't always turn red though.  At any rate unplugging and plugging seems to work...

The reason I ask is that if the red light turns off by itself then there is no need to unplug.  This works for me - with my display I just have to wait about 5 seconds for the red LED to go out and then I can turn the Phoenix back on without issue.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

The reason I ask is that if the red light turns off by itself then there is no need to unplug.  This works for me - with my display I just have to wait about 5 seconds for the red LED to go out and then I can turn the Phoenix back on without issue.

I see.  I think the last time I probably didn't wait for the light to go out, and then I unplugged/replugged...Next time I'll wait and see what that does, Probably same as what you said :)...Though, like I say sometimes the light isn't red at all.

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I'm using an 8GB SanDisk.

SanDisk 8GB SDHC_ C10.jpg

Thanks!

I tried a Kingston 4GB and had no luck.  It wouldn't read it.   Next I tried a 4 GB with no (easily) discernible brand name and after formatting twice, It worked!!  I'm very happy to have a perfectly working backup!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

OK, So I also quickly checked out the red LED situation.  For my bedroom TV (a 40 inch Philips for what it's worth) usually once it goes red, it stays red until I unplug/plug the HDMI cable...Otherwise it'll stay red forever (it seems).   Once in a while though, it's only red for a split second and then goes out.  I'm thinking this is more likely after playing Atari instead of Coleco.   Also if you've played longer, like a whole game versus just a few seconds to test it, it seems more likely to Not go red.

And it almost never goes red on my Panasonic TV in the living room.