IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

Interesting. And the Phoenix reproduces all the capabilities of the F18A precisely and at the same potential speed?

there is gpu code rummimg in one of my games and it seems to run fine or the same on the phoenix as it did on the coleco with an f18a . So I think so.

21 minutes ago, digress said:

there is gpu code running in one of my games and it seems to run fine or the same on the phoenix as it did on the coleco with an f18a . So I think so.

Alright, and your game "uploads" this code from the cart to the gpu at boot/reset?

4 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Alright, and your game "uploads" this code from the cart to the gpu at boot/reset?

yes, then you can call the routine using a port code and have it perform the operation on the vram. this of course would no longer be compatible with a standard coleco system only f18a systems.

12 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Interesting. And the Phoenix reproduces all the capabilities of the F18A precisely and at the same potential speed?

Should be. It's the same FPGA core. You shouldn't rely 100% on /exact/ speed as the GPU core has undergone internal changes in the past (which improved performance) and may be improved further on the MK2, if I follow correctly. If you care about timing you can synchronize to the video - most of the time you want to get things done as fast as possible anyway.

I should probably port my mandlebrot demo as an example.. unfortunately I don't have my video anymore.

On 12/29/2019 at 4:46 AM, Tursi said:

The number of times that question has been answered should really suffice by now. ;)

Sorry man, but it is being worked on.

I'm new to this thread and haven't followed it all along. How likely is it that 720p will happen? I would be very interested in placing an order if I knew it was coming at some point. But if it's not going to happen, I'd rather know that because it would affect my decision to place an order for one.

On 1/9/2020 at 9:07 AM, Swami said:

I’m still surprised how important 720p is to people. Then again, I own six CRT TVs and only one LCD. 

For the record,  I'm Amazed at how sharp and clean everything looks!  It feels HD to me...I haven't even tried hooking it up to my CRT yet, but I'll have to try that too...Anyway the Phoenix looks great to me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

For the record,  I'm Amazed at how sharp and clean everything looks!  It feels HD to me...I haven't even tried hooking it up to my CRT yet, but I'll have to try that too...Anyway the Phoenix looks great to me!

I'm using an LCD and 480p looks fantastic to me.  I'd rather see CollectorVision's efforts focused on improving the existing cores and adding new ones.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

This and the Atari 2600 cartridge adapter.

Yes this, I hope they work on the cart adaptor for the 2600 soon, this is the missing element that I am really looking forward to.

I would not have problem getting the schematics of the cart connector either and let me build one.. that would be a fun project.

• Like 1

Question... Will ps/2 to USB adapters work with the Phoenix for USB Mice and Keyboards? 

I tried to use what was I think a ps/2 to USB mouse only adapter, but it didn't recognize a USB mouse (or a USB keyboard) on the title screen or in trackball games. I should be able to find a ps/2 to USB keyboard specific adapter to try soon... 

32 minutes ago, doug0909 said:

Question... Will ps/2 to USB adapters work with the Phoenix for USB Mice and Keyboards? 

I tried to use what was I think a ps/2 to USB mouse only adapter, but it didn't recognize a USB mouse (or a USB keyboard) on the title screen or in trackball games. I should be able to find a ps/2 to USB keyboard specific adapter to try soon... 

If the USB keyboard supports the adapter it might work. The implementation for the keyboard is pretty basic and only covers the main CV buttons at the moment. Mouse support, ps2 or keyboard, has not been implemented.

• Thanks 1

So learned something tonight that I am not sure has been mentioned. I have a Samung HDTV that was working with the Phoenix but there was a noticeable hum on the menu screens, title screen and during games. Was driving me nuts. I narrowed it down to the TV. The way I was able to get rid of it was to disable "auto volume" in the menus on the Samsung.

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else runs into it. 

• Like 4

I just tried several USB keyboards with the USB to ps/2 adapter. None worked. Perhaps because they aren't getting the needed power? (all have status indicator lights for scroll lock / numbers lock etc.) 

Any chance a change to the firmware could fix this (if it's not the power, I guess)? 

I did get a very old ps/2 keyboard to work... 

Edited by doug0909

5 minutes ago, doug0909 said:

I just tried several USB keyboards with the USB to ps/2 adapter. None worked. Perhaps because they aren't getting the needed power? (all have status indicator lights for scroll lock / numbers lock etc.) 

Any chance a change to the firmware could fix this? 

I did get a very old ps/2 keyboard to work... 

You need an "active" USB<=>PS/2 adapter.  Virtually ALL USB <=> PS/2 adapters are passive and will not work with the Phoenix.  Standalone "active" USB <=> PS/2 adapters are very difficult to find and in fact I only managed to find one and it was discontinued in 2017.  Some places have remaining stock and so I took the plunge with this one and found it works perfectly with the Phoenix.  Major downside is the damn thing is so expensive......I guess due to it being discontinued.

https://www.tripplite.com/support/0DT60002

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00404YD8W

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Yep, it's a $15 to $20 item.  An example of price gouging at its worst.

Cheaper to buy a new or like new PS/2 keyboard off eBay, although some work and some don’t for uncertain reasons. There were people saying which ones worked and didn’t early on and there was talk of organizing them, but didn’t happen. 

30 minutes ago, Swami said:

Cheaper to buy a new or like new PS/2 keyboard off eBay, although some work and some don’t for uncertain reasons. There were people saying which ones worked and didn’t early on and there was talk of organizing them, but didn’t happen. 

Agreed.  My reason for buying the adapter is because I have an ADAM keyboard to USB adapter and wanted to see if I could then use a further adapter to PS/2 so I could use the ADAM keyboard with the Phoenix - and it worked ?

I also have an old Microsoft Media PS/2 keyboard and that also works with the Phoenix.

9 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Agreed.  My reason for buying the adapter is because I have an ADAM keyboard to USB adapter and wanted to see if I could then use a further adapter to PS/2 so I could use the ADAM keyboard with the Phoenix - and it worked ?

I also have an old Microsoft Media PS/2 keyboard and that also works with the Phoenix.

Yeah, I have reams of that sort of adapter stuff for what if’s. Serial to usb, usb to ps/2, ps/2 to usb, all active. Probably 100 other adapters of various sorts. 

27 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Wait, what!!? :o
Where do I get that adapter?

Where have you been? ? Here is the link to Dave's site, but he only did two small runs as far as I recall and you might need to get a group order to make it worth another run.

http://www.intellivision.us/adam_intfc/adam_intfc.php

Coleco Adam Keyboard Interface.pdf