IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

On 1/10/2020 at 2:34 PM, Ikrananka said:

I'm using an LCD and 480p looks fantastic to me.  I'd rather see CollectorVision's efforts focused on improving the existing cores and adding new ones.

I'm using a 4k 55" LCD TV, so 480p is quite a huge drop down in resolution. My 720p Retron77 looks fantastic upscaled to 4k, but I think 480p is really pushing it. That's DVD resolution being upscaled to 4k. I think in 2020 it's pretty ridiculous to not have at least 720p output. That's just my opinion. Even the Atari flashbacks output 720p now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Show off ?? 

My currently desired thingamajig is a UK PAL-I tv analog channel tuner, so I can use my early 80s PAL computers on a 1982 PVM which receives UK channel 36, which is different from US CH36, but the thing is $89.

7 hours ago, Swami said:

My currently desired thingamajig is a UK PAL-I tv analog channel tuner, so I can use my early 80s PAL computers on a 1982 PVM which receives UK channel 36, which is different from US CH36, but the thing is $89.

That's a pretty modern tuner (relatively speaking).  I remember growing up, before the advent of Channel 4, we only had three channels in the UK.  BBC1, BBC2 and ITV!  ?

Just added an issue to the GitHub regarding the Super Action Controller spinner.

Basically, the Super Action Controller spinner is not being interpreted correctly. On a real CV I tested one of my SAC controllers using the Nuvatec (1983) SAC test program. This correctly interpreted the spinner operating in both directions with a maximum spinner value of around 60 when spinning as fast as I could make it go.  However, on the Phoenix the spinner is detected as spinning to the right even when I spin it left. Also, I've seen some bizarre spurious values registered such as 225 even when spinning slowly. Spinning very fast does seem to get up to around the right level of approximately 60, but there are a lot of spurious readings during this and at other times.

On 1/14/2020 at 9:27 PM, fiudr said:

I'm using a 4k 55" LCD TV, so 480p is quite a huge drop down in resolution. My 720p Retron77 looks fantastic upscaled to 4k, but I think 480p is really pushing it. That's DVD resolution being upscaled to 4k. I think in 2020 it's pretty ridiculous to not have at least 720p output. That's just my opinion. Even the Atari flashbacks output 720p now.

"Even"? When the Phoenix release count matches the Flashback release count, let's revisit this point. ;)

The resolution is 256x192. That's all the pixels that actually exist in the image. It's upscaled from that point with no interpolation, just pixel doubling. You're asking for a massively faster hardware clock and tighter HDMI timing so that the console does the doubling instead of your TV, which is what is designed to do it.

I don't make the decisions, but I've never understood this argument. You don't get any extra pixels, only bigger ones. There's no dropped detail.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tursi said:

"Even"? When the Phoenix release count matches the Flashback release count, let's revisit this point. ;)

The resolution is 256x192. That's all the pixels that actually exist in the image. It's upscaled from that point with no interpolation, just pixel doubling. You're asking for a massively faster hardware clock and tighter HDMI timing so that the console does the doubling instead of your TV, which is what is designed to do it.

I don't make the decisions, but I've never understood this argument. You don't get any extra pixels, only bigger ones. There's no dropped detail.

I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't 720p help in fixing the compatibility problem with certain modern TVs, or was that only linked to this "power feedback" through the HDMI cable which I read about earlier in this thread?

1 hour ago, Pixelboy said:

I'm no expert on this, but wouldn't 720p help in fixing the compatibility problem with certain modern TVs, or was that only linked to this "power feedback" through the HDMI cable which I read about earlier in this thread?

I've been relegated to an HDMI to composite adapter and it's been fine so I haven't bothered revisiting this issue to see if it's resolved. I'm guessing it hasn't but it would be interesting to investigate whether 720p support would fix the issue some such as myself are having. I haven't even done any core updates in a couple months I should do those too

13 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Just added an issue to the GitHub regarding the Super Action Controller spinner.

Basically, the Super Action Controller spinner is not being interpreted correctly. On a real CV I tested one of my SAC controllers using the Nuvatec (1983) SAC test program. This correctly interpreted the spinner operating in both directions with a maximum spinner value of around 60 when spinning as fast as I could make it go.  However, on the Phoenix the spinner is detected as spinning to the right even when I spin it left. Also, I've seen some bizarre spurious values registered such as 225 even when spinning slowly. Spinning very fast does seem to get up to around the right level of approximately 60, but there are a lot of spurious readings during this and at other times.

That is strange. I wonder if your SAC is producing noise or inconsistent pulses. When I use that program on my SAC it does not generate any spurious pulses and always matches the speed and direction input. 

2 hours ago, CanadianTenor said:

Greetings - when can Phoenix users expect the next coleco/atari/system core file updates - sometime in the 1st quarter of 2020 or sometime in the first half of 2020? I would be pleased to hear if the next update is being scheduled for either of these time periods. Cheers!

There isn't a set timeline for releases at this point. As things get addressed we will push out updates. Right now the video update is a rather large and intensive update so we still do not have an ETA on that

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

The compatibility isn't really a 720 vs 480 issue. As far as I know, The 2600 core works correctly on all of the tvs that have had issues with the cv core. The issue is the current cv core is set to use a pixel clock of 25MHz, which is technically out of spec. Changing the pixel clock to 27MHz should resolve this, but will take time to implement as it changes a lot of the timings with the rest of the core. The power feedback was a separate issue.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bmack36 said:

The compatibility isn't really a 720 vs 480 issue. As far as I know, The 2600 core works correctly on all of the tvs that have had issues with the cv core. The issue is the current cv core is set to use a pixel clock of 25MHz, which is technically out of spec. Changing the pixel clock to 27MHz should resolve this, but will take time to implement as it changes a lot of the timings with the rest of the core. The power feedback was a separate issue.

Ah, okay. So eventually, another CV core will be released?

3 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

That one I wish I understood better so I could answer with authority. I probably should go try my Phoenix on my main TV too. Honestly - this might be the only valid argument. ;) (However, I still counter with the fact that if true, those TVs are in violation of the HDMI spec. However, I concede that violating a white paper doesn't help reality.)

Ah, never mind, Brian's on top of it. ;)

Edited by Tursi

1 hour ago, Bmack36 said:

That is strange. I wonder if your SAC is producing noise or inconsistent pulses. When I use that program on my SAC it does not generate any spurious pulses and always matches the speed and direction input. 

I've got a few more SAC controllers so I'll do some further testing later today and will report back.  BTW - in the Nuvatec SAC test program what is the maximum spinner value that you achieve when spinning as fast as you can go?

Just now, Ikrananka said:

I've got a few more SAC controllers so I'll do some further testing later today and will report back.  BTW - in the Nuvatec SAC test program what is the maximum spinner value that you achieve when spinning as fast as you can go?

The spinner max I get is around 60. With the roller, it can get in the 200s.

1 hour ago, Bmack36 said:

I have a set of SACs that act exactly as Ikrananka has described but on my CV and Adam with that SAC test rom and SAC games. I DO NOT have a Phoenix yet.

With further use and working the Spinner Wheel feverishly, they sometimes work properly in the SAC test rom.

I see that they work properly on a real CV, so hard to say it's not an issue with the Phoenix, but these Spinner Wheels are so finicky especially being 37 years old.

2 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Was the problem solved on the 2600 with the image stretching across the screen rather than displaying at the correct resolution like the CV core does? I experienced that problem and I know others did as well.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:27 PM, jblenkle said:

Was the problem solved on the 2600 with the image stretching across the screen rather than displaying at the correct resolution like the CV core does? I experienced that problem and I know others did as well.

That seems it may fall under "Add options for resizing screen" (In part, 'option for locking / unlocking aspect ratio') issue. 

It is still an open issue, as is the recently mentioned issues of "Core compatibility with some TVs" (AKA 25MHz pixel clock CV core) issue, and "System Not powering down when connected to some TVs" (AKA power feedback).

The latter, some have found success in utilizing a powered HDMI switch box to work around the problem.

Mentioned in the OP, the complete list of issues can be checked here for status updates:

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues

I noticed an issue when playing Cosmic Avenger off the SD card. When you select a skill, it replaces part of the text for option 8 with 1982. Presumably it's pulling the copyright from somewhere.

It does not happen when played directly from the cart. It also does not happen if I play the same rom off my Atarimax cart in the Phoenix. I'm using the version 6 core. I can't say I noticed this occurring on other games so far. 

0F8CB0E2-2419-4E04-A4BB-F21E2E0E2546.jpeg

Edited by nick3092
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nick3092 said:

I noticed an issue when playing Cosmic Avenger off the SD card. When you select a skill, it replaces part of the text for option 8 with 1982. Presumably it's pulling the copyright from somewhere.

It does not happen when played directly from the cart. It also does not happen if I play the same rom off my Atarimax cart in the Phoenix. I'm using the version 6 core. I can't say I noticed this occurring on other games so far. 

0F8CB0E2-2419-4E04-A4BB-F21E2E0E2546.jpeg

That is strange. My rom does not show that when run from the sd card.