IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

21 minutes ago, Mika73 said:

My other Coleco is RGB Scart and other is F18a VGA. I don’t think I wanna use composite..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could go HDMI to VGA or HDMI to SCART if you planned on hooking the Phoenix to the same monitors you currently hook your ColecoVision to. I agree that would not be an ideal state though, as it shouldn't be necessary to have any other hardware or adapters to have the unit work via HDMI like it is supposed to.

• Like 3

I don't think that buying the device expecting it to work on HDMI and then being told to use an adapter is a reasonable solution.  I've basically shelved my Phoenix because it won't work on HDMI on any of the displays I have in my house.  I can still play it with an adapter and it works fine that way, but I consider it to be a partially failed experiment until the HDMI problem is addressed.  Honestly, I would consider returning it, but I know I will buy another display some day (on which it might work natively), and I like the functionality it offers (SGM) enough even in its current state to not bother with trying to return it.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I don't think that buying the device expecting it to work on HDMI and then being told to use an adapter is a reasonable solution.  I've basically shelved my Phoenix because it won't work on HDMI on any of the displays I have in my house.  I can still play it with an adapter and it works fine that way, but I consider it to be a partially failed experiment until the HDMI problem is addressed.  Honestly, I would consider returning it, but I know I will buy another display some day (on which it might work natively), and I like the functionality it offers (SGM) enough even in its current state to not bother with trying to return it.

Well, that's fair, but in this specific case a year ago he was asking about if it could do composite because that's what he needed and was told "only with an adapter". TPR even made a video showing that the composite adapter worked well. Then he asked if it could do RGB, which I assumed was SCART, but sounds like it is VGA now. Maybe he's got a new HDMI TV since then or plans to, though. No idea. I don't see it as the cure all, though.

3 hours ago, Swami said:

Well, that's fair, but in this specific case a year ago he was asking about if it could do composite because that's what he needed and was told "only with an adapter". TPR even made a video showing that the composite adapter worked well. Then he asked if it could do RGB, which I assumed was SCART, but sounds like it is VGA now. Maybe he's got a new HDMI TV since then or plans to, though. No idea. I don't see it as the cure all, though.

Huh?  What are you talking about?  What "specific case?"  Who was asking?  I was talking about me and my experience.

16 hours ago, retroillucid said:

I'm not too much worried honestly, as I'm the first in line who wants to have perfect working cores and hdmi  ;) :)

On a related question, are there any hardware changes to this next batch or is everything the same? Just ordered one yesterday.

47 minutes ago, Swami said:

On a related question, are there any hardware changes to this next batch or is everything the same? Just ordered one yesterday.

We would like to try and make some changes to address some of the issues like the power backfeed/reset issue, but it is TBD at the moment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

We would like to try and make some changes to address some of the issues like the power backfeed/reset issue, but it is TBD at the moment.

One thing I'll note about the power indicator issue is that I also have the ZX Spectrum Next, which is also an FPGA-based system, and it exhibits the same issue with retaining some type of power when the HDMI cable is plugged in. The way around the issue for me for both the Phoenix and the Next in that regard was putting an unpowered HDMI switch in-between. This happens to be a tiny unpowered 3 port 4K HDMI switch, but any similar switch should work as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

One thing I'll note about the power indicator issue is that I also have the ZX Spectrum Next, which is also an FPGA-based system, and it exhibits the same issue with retaining some type of power when the HDMI cable is plugged in. The way around the issue for me for both the Phoenix and the Next in that regard was putting an unpowered HDMI switch in-between. This happens to be a tiny unpowered 3 port 4K HDMI switch, but any similar switch should work as well.

Now that is interesting.  Has there been much discussion on the issue with the Next?  I plan on joining the Kickstarter for the second batch.  Not that this issue would stop me doing that, I'm just curious how people have reacted to it and what the developers response has been.

6 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Now that is interesting.  Has there been much discussion on the issue with the Next?  I plan on joining the Kickstarter for the second batch.  Not that this issue would stop me doing that, I'm just curious how people have reacted to it and what the developers response has been.

There are no notable issues that I'm aware of. It just exhibits the same "problem" as the Phoenix in that some displays seem to provide some type of power over HDMI that makes the power light stay lit after the actual power plug is removed (that can sometimes interfere with clean resets too). In my case, I'm using an ultra-widescreen LG monitor. By putting the unpowered 4K switchbox in-between, it resolved the issue for me.

Of note, I had the same problem when plugged into the back of an XRGB-mini. There must be something with HDMI that's not necessarily being accounted for in certain devices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

There are no notable issues that I'm aware of. It just exhibits the same "problem" as the Phoenix in that some displays seem to provide some type of power over HDMI that makes the power light stay lit after the actual power plug is removed (that can sometimes interfere with clean resets too). In my case, I'm using an ultra-widescreen LG monitor. By putting the unpowered 4K switchbox in-between, it resolved the issue for me.

Of note, I had the same problem when plugged into the back of an XRGB-mini. There must be something with HDMI that's not necessarily being accounted for in certain devices.

A few comments on this.

- the unpowered one seems hit or miss with people. However, I don't know if they are actually switching the HDMI to cut the voltage feedback. Do you have a specific brand you can recommend? Powered HDMI switches have been more fool-proof from peoples' experiences ... maybe because they can ground the feedback without switching HDMI channels.

- The most likely cause is voltage bleed, which I posted a quote about from a TV repair tech a few months back who can test for it in LCD TVs and said it is very common in LCD TVs. You may be lucky in having a small amount of bleed if the unpowered switch handles it without switching HDMI channels.

-Still, it would be nice to get it fixed in the hardware as I imagine some folks are going to deal with both the HDMI compatibility issue, which requires a different TV or composite/VGA adapter (then an adapter to HDMI if you need it) and the HDMI voltage feedback, which requires an HDMI switch.

20 minutes ago, Swami said:

A few comments on this.

- the unpowered one seems hit or miss with people. However, I don't know if they are actually switching the HDMI to cut the voltage feedback. Do you have a specific brand you can recommend? Powered HDMI switches have been more fool-proof from peoples' experiences ... maybe because they can ground the feedback without switching HDMI channels.

I don't think it matters, but this is the one that I happen to have there (I can't find the remote or power supply, so I'm using it unpowered): Smartooo 23031 https://amzn.to/2PvUhTe

Based on the product description there, I may be able to use it unpowered because of the very power output over HDMI that the other devices are getting and not playing nice with, i.e., "..., it may be caused by the HDMI cable gives power to the switch (it can work without power adapter sometimes).".

I'm using the LG Electronics P-Class 29UM65 monitor there, by the way: https://amzn.to/2T5xdg5

21 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Would be great to have noise from optical encoder inputs removed, also, if that is hardware related.

2 hours ago, Swami said:

Would be great to have noise from optical encoder inputs removed, also, if that is hardware related.

That is a harder one to solve since it isn't doing that on any of my controllers. It is something to look into and it is possible that it could be improved, but is challenging without being able to reproduce it.

• Like 1

Men, I can't wait to put my hand on this. I stupidly missed the first run... but I'm in for the second one!
I'm really exited to try Sydney Hunter for the first time. I heard good reviews, but I did not watch any video so as not to spoil my pleasure. I want to discover that game on Colecovision only, like back in the days :-)

• Like 2

I can only speak for myself...And sometimes I hate to weigh in, because everybody's experience is different.  In the old days and now, with a modded ColecoVision, I have an issue where I sometimes get garbled graphics unless I put some weight on the power supply cable.  And what I've just described is with the old original console,   ...I've had better luck with my ADAM, but only for Carts, as ADAM games on tape, excuse me Digital Data Packs,  are now a risky proposition.  Last time I played ADAM Zaxxon, my tape snapped and died, but I digress.  And emulators on computers, in my mind are always a pain in some way or another,...So then along comes the Phoenix.   In many ways, there are less issues here than with the original consoles.

On One of my TVs,  Everything is pretty much flawless.  I consider the Atari core a bit wonky in the way the menu is set up, but, once playing,  it looks great on my HDTV!  The Coleco side is Amazing!!!!  The Phoenix is one of my Favorite Consoles in Life!

Now, on my other TV, it has that thing where sometimes,  if playing ROMs, but not carts if memory serves, you may have to plug/unplug the HDMI when you switch a game.  I haven't tried a switch between the console and the set, but I bet it would work fine.  I agree it seems like something that could be ironed out.  I have a cable (which I may need to locate) that has 3 HDMI inputs and one output with selector buttons and I'll bet that will fix everything, but I haven't had the time to try it out.  Sorry about that, I haven't had much extra time, in life lately...

It matters I suppose if you leave your consoles plugged in, or constantly change them, or move them around to various TVs in your house.  I hope this comment makes sense.  If you leave it hooked up to a certain TV,  you'd hope that's the TV that works perfectly.  Otherwise you might want to buy a switch for the HDMI.   OTOH, if you move it around and have it in front of the set, or on the side somewhere, it's no big deal to unplug/plug in an HDMI cable if it needs it.

So, personally I LOVE The Phoenix!  Is it Perfect?  Maybe not, but almost.  I've had issues with original hardware, issues with emulators (and those aren't even on a TV or with original controllers anyway), and minor issues with the Phoenix.  The Phoenix looks sharp as Hell on the screen and runs Atari and Coleco ROMs, plus SGM and Homebrews all in one spot, and displays on a TV.  I prefer it over all other options, even over original hardware in most instances.  I wholeheartedly recommend it, but if it doesn't suit you, then go a different route.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mika73 said:

Does this work at 16:9 screen?

Problem is that my projector stretch everything to
16:9 wide screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you projector doesn't have a 4:3 or just scan setting then it will most likely stretch the Phoenix video as well.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:54 PM, wongojack said:

I want to be clear that my comment above is not referring to the power "feedback" problem preventing the device from powering off.  If that was my only problem then I'd consider that only a minor issue.

I've already contributed to the GitHub items, but for the context of THIS thread, I'll clarify that I can't use the Phoneix at all on one of my TVs.  It displays "Invalid Format."  On my Toshiba TV, I get a constant and irritating background sound which has also been reported by others.  The adapter I'm referring to is a composite video adapter which allows the Phoenix to display on both my TVs without the irritating background noise.

Oh AND . . . that composite adapter does NOT help with the power feedback thing which is a bummer.

I also have the "constant and irritating background sound"  which went away through a composite adapter on my TV.

I am also wondering, is the Collectorvision Phoenix built in Atari 2600 core in Pal or NTSC format? Would that affect the color of some games?

Thanks

Edited by funcool
want to edit post

2 hours ago, funcool said:

I also have the "constant and irritating background sound"  which went away through a composite adapter on my TV.

I am also wondering, is the Collectorvision Phoenix built in Atari 2600 core in Pal or NTSC format? Would that affect the color of some games?

Thanks

There is a switch in the menu to change between the NTSC and PAL palletes.