IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

3 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Wasn't using the Phoenix on HDMI the main purpose of the thing? 

That, and it's the only rereleased console with a Coleco cart slot. The NTT data controller compatible SNES port is another winning feature for me. The SD slot, compact size and built-in SGM all are ringers.

I figure when I get mine, if I have trouble with the HDMI output to my display, I'll just try one of these these things...

Wiistar-HDMI-To-Ypbpr-RGB-Converter-HDMI-to-Component-L-R-audio-Adapter-1080P-for-HDTV.thumb.jpg.c1675f9abc38c6891d1019737f9b3ff6.jpg

Hopefully there's no significant latency. They're cheap.

• Like 1

I only get the background sound through HDMI on my 32" LCD TV.

I have two other 32" LED TVs where it works fine through HDMI.

I must say that I really enjoy playing games on the CollectorVision Phoenix and will most likely pre-order a second system soon. The Atari 2600 built in core is a real bonus as well.  Thanks

Edited by funcool
spelling
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 7:58 AM, Bmack36 said:

That is strange. I wonder if your SAC is producing noise or inconsistent pulses. When I use that program on my SAC it does not generate any spurious pulses and always matches the speed and direction input. 

Finally got time to get back to my SAC issue.  One of the reed switches in one of my SACs was not working and so I recently bought some new ones.  I replaced both of the reed switches in that SAC and spent some time testing it on a real CV with another SAC with original reed switches and both work great in either port.  So, I went back to my Phoenix with both SACs and found that the one in Port 1 still only showed movement to the right even when I span the spinner left.  BUT, the SAC in Port 2 was working correctly in both directions.  So, I swapped the controllers and again the one in Port 1 would always show it spinning to the right even when spinning left.  Now this made me wonder if there is a problem specific to this Phoenix unit and so I got out my other Phoenix and tested that with both controllers and then again swapping the controllers between the two ports.  On this second Phoenix they both show the spinners working perfectly and in the correct direction of travel.  Looks like I have a fault with the first Phoenix.  Both units have been updated the latest firmware.

Brian, any idea if this is something that can be fixed by me or is it best that I return the unit for repair?

On 11/26/2019 at 9:29 AM, Ikrananka said:

I just tested Road Fighter and it doesn't work, along with a few other early Opcode Games release (Magical Tree & Sky Jaguar).  I've reported the issue here: https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/18

I just tried out roms of several early Opcode games on the Phoenix as I had heard some didn't work with the Edladdin SAC and I just received a Super Arcade Controller Plus from Edladdin (last one! great controller!). I found mostly the controller doesn't make much difference. Pac Man Collection works most of the time, as does Space Invaders Collection. With or without the SAC+ controller or from AtariMax cart or SD card, Magical Tree is scrambled after the Colecovision splash screen and Road Fighter goes to blank screen after the CV splash screen. Sky Jaguar seems like it may need less restarts to run correctly with the SAC+ detached, but if I get it running with a regular controller, it will play fine with the SAC+. Yie Ar Kungfu plays, but is glitchy, no matter what. I prefer the AtariMax cart to SD card for Sky Jaguar and Yi Ar Kung Fu, because they are easier to restart directly back to the game that way.

Edit: Sky Jaguar froze up right before the first boss using the SAC+ and didn't with the NTT controller, but I've only reach that stage one with each controller, so I need to get better at the game to tell for sure. Anyone noticed Sky Jaguar freezing about 5-7 min in?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.. While I had no luck getting the unit to work with my Sony Bravia TV using a powered hdmi switch, I am happy that I was able to get the system to work using the hdmi in on my Framemeister. I’ll use that until the direct method is fixed with that clock change coming in the future.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's coincided with the latest atari core update but every time I've gone into the atari core, I get a high pitched buzz through the tv speakers.  I have to change the hdmi input, turn the phoenix off, then back on again, select atari core again, change the hdmi input back to the one the Phoenix is connected to and it's fine.  This happens even though the tv is set to a different hdmi input when I first power on the Phoenix.  It never used to do this so I'm guessing it likely has something to do with the latest core update.  Anyone else have this issue?  Should I put this in github?

On 4/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

Not sure if it's coincided with the latest atari core update but every time I've gone into the atari core, I get a high pitched buzz through the tv speakers.  I have to change the hdmi input, turn the phoenix off, then back on again, select atari core again, change the hdmi input back to the one the Phoenix is connected to and it's fine.  This happens even though the tv is set to a different hdmi input when I first power on the Phoenix.  It never used to do this so I'm guessing it likely has something to do with the latest core update.  Anyone else have this issue?  Should I put this in github?

So I went into the Atari core for the first time since upgrading and I got the high pitched buzz through the tv speakers but I reset the Phoenix then it went away and didn't come back after some other power cycles. During crackpots I did have an audio glitch happen but it looked like the ROM froze up. I do get some random freezes and failures on the Atari 2600 core. The core in general could use some polish and a better instruction set on how it works.

I just tested my two Phoenix units with the latest 2600 core and didn't experience the buzzing.  I'm using a Dell monitor with an external speaker (the monitor outputs the HDMI audio through a 3.5mm jack to the speaker).  Perhaps the issue is TV specific so might be useful for those experiencing the buzzing to report what TV/monitor you're using.

13 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

The core in general could use some polish and a better instruction set on how it works.

Agree 100%.  The menu is not great.  What I'd also like to know is if the planned Atari cartridge adapter will make the games work better.  I have no idea how much the core is the issue vs the roms.

5 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I just tested my two Phoenix units with the latest 2600 core and didn't experience the buzzing.  I'm using a Dell monitor with an external speaker (the monitor outputs the HDMI audio through a 3.5mm jack to the speaker).  Perhaps the issue is TV specific so might be useful for those experiencing the buzzing to report what TV/monitor you're using.

Maybe but I haven't changed my tv and didn't have this problem until recently.

Ok, so here's the tv I have - Sony KDL-40VE5.  Honestly don't envy all the work the Collectorvision guys have put into the Phoenix and the cores so far.  Seems like way more work than I could imagine.  One fix brings up more problems.  While I think the Atari core still needs work, I sure appreciate all the work that's been put into the Phoenix.  The Colecovision part works great.  Never had any problems.  Had a very enjoyable session on Popeye just last night.

4 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Ok, so here's the tv I have - Sony KDL-40VE5.  Honestly don't envy all the work the Collectorvision guys have put into the Phoenix and the cores so far.  Seems like way more work than I could imagine.  One fix brings up more problems.  While I think the Atari core still needs work, I sure appreciate all the work that's been put into the Phoenix.  The Colecovision part works great.  Never had any problems.  Had a very enjoyable session on Popeye just last night.

I have a 65" Samsung Q70 tv

Does anyone else have problems running CV Montezuma's Revenge? In my case, it gets to the title screen, and no matter what button I press, nothing happens.  Tested with a super action controller and with the Edladdin SUper CV