IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

3000popcorn-611.thumb.jpg.e85525ad8876bb5810b51eac9a096cd7.jpg

2 hours ago, Loafer said:

I think they had said it was supposed to be open source for the cores so FPGA being what it is, I’m sure some intrepid programmer will eventually port some of those cores.  

as well and I’m certainly NOT speaking for collectorvision here but “no plans To make another batch” can always mean they could change their minds if there is a demand.  It’s just a prudent move If you want one to get it now since who knows what the future holds

Considering there's some sort of infighting starting and issues with the console itself, I'd just wait before buying into any system.

3 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Not sure why you're saying this :?
But with the people who already have a Phoenix plus those who are on the 2nd pre-order run, the Phoenix userbase is more than 1000+ people  

So you bet we're going to support the heck out of it! :twisted: :)

I think some people are disappointed more cores aren't available. It's been out awhile now and we still only have the CV and 2600. And I've never been able to get the 2600 to display at the proper screen size like the CV does.

7 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

I think some people are disappointed more cores aren't available. It's been out awhile now and we still only have the CV and 2600. And I've never been able to get the 2600 to display at the proper screen size like the CV does.

I'm sorry, but we never claimed the Phoenix was going to be a multi-consoles machine
We made Phoenix as a replacement console for the ColecoVision, first and foremost
Of course we're planning to add more cores, and we did that by adding the Atari2600 core and are working on a cartridge adapter for it. 

Also, the Phoenix is an open source project, wich mean one can decide to develop a core for the Phoenix 

8 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

I went into it only expecting a working ColecoVision FPGA that plays my cart.  The fact that it works on both of my TVs helps as well.  I don't have any inside knowledge, but I have to imagine extra cores would provide for extra game opportunities for CollectorVision.  So i'm still hopeful.  Especially for the Adam - which is something i've never owned and won't any time soon.  

• Like 1

I’m probably not going to make friends by saying this but guys this is straight from the heart

retroillucid / opcode: I really wish both of you would stop with the grenade throwing approach to problem solving as it just doesn’t work.  Why can’t you guys, when you see something that upsets you like a controller project or a club membership, just send a note to the other party calmly saying “I’m not sure I get this, can we discuss ?”

i know there is history here but there is so much to gain with choosing a different approach to settling misunderstandings, differences and problems than pulling on a pin.  

You both do so much good in our community, there just has to be a better way lads, there has to be

• Like 10

46 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

I'm sorry, but we never claimed the Phoenix was going to be a multi-consoles machine
We made Phoenix as a replacement console for the ColecoVision, first and foremost
Of course we're planning to add more cores, and we did that by adding the Atari2600 core and are working on a cartridge adapter for it. 

Also, the Phoenix is an open source project, wich mean one can decide to develop a core for the Phoenix 

That's rather true. Problem is people see "FPGA" and irrationally imagine the system running all sorts of carts from other consoles.

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

That's rather true. Problem is people see "FPGA" and irrationally imagine the system running all sorts of carts from other consoles.

Yeah, a few FPGA consoles out there already have multi-cores implemented, so I don't blame people here expecting that we make more cores available

Like I already mentioned, we did made the Atari2600 core, and we're working on the cartridge adapter for it

The next core I want to have running on the Phoenix is the Intellivision core, along with a cartridge adapter 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mingus said:

I went into it only expecting a working ColecoVision FPGA that plays my cart.  The fact that it works on both of my TVs helps as well.  I don't have any inside knowledge, but I have to imagine extra cores would provide for extra game opportunities for CollectorVision.  So i'm still hopeful.  Especially for the Adam - which is something i've never owned and won't any time soon.  

Yes, I am definitely waiting for the ADAM core. It was one of the main reasons I bought it, although I have three real ADAM consoles. It would still be nice to have it in this form.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jblenkle said:

Yes, I am definitely waiting for the ADAM core. It was one of the main reasons I bought it, although I have three real ADAM consoles. It would still be nice to have it in this form.

The ADAM would be my 4th choice 
We didn't made a Phoenix ADAM-themed console for nothing afterall ;)
And let's face it, it would just be the obvious to have the ADAM core 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

Ummm...actually you did...it was going to run ADAM...Intellivision, 2600, ColecoVision, & Arcade games. Those were four distinct platforms plus the arcade that were repeatedly mentioned over and over.

15 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

The next core I want to have running on the Phoenix is the Intellivision core, along with a cartridge adapter 

Completely forgot about this - but yes...have some!

1 minute ago, retroillucid said:

And let's face it, it would just be the obvious to have the ADAM core 

Agreed - and there have to be some Adam-based games that we can't yet play on CV in another manor - especially if they need a keyboard!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Ummm...actually you did...it was going to run ADAM...Intellivision, 2600, ColecoVision, & Arcade games. Those were four distinct platforms plus the arcade that were repeatedly mentioned over and over.

Yes, of course!
But we're not going to have all those cores made into just a couple of weeks, you know?
We prefer having each core working 100% before doing more cores

• Like 1

Maybe I might pre-order the black CollectorVision style case or the white ADAM style case for $50 more. Both cases work with all the existing and coming cores, its just which case one prefers cosmetically. I would be willing to pay for additional cores as a download option. Maybe we will see one new core added every year to the system.

The PS/2 keyboard will be ideal for use with the ADAM text adventure style games once the ADAM core is created. Perhaps the ADAM core will have a 2MB memory expander and other hardware simulation. Having a HDMI output and a brand new console is ideal. Firmware upgrable by SD card is awesome along with original Coleco controller compatibility. Would be neat to have a 80 column version of Smartwriter but there is no way to hook up a Laser printer for word processing unless someone makes a 4 port USB 3.0 hub that plugs into the expansion module port.    

Edited by HDTV1080P

I'd probably add that written formal agreements should have confidentiality clauses so they aren't thrown around in forum threads as ammunition... but that's just me. ;) 

INAL, but last I heard it's actually illegal in the US to agree to divide up a market for reasons of controlling competition... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_allocation_scheme ... but I mention that only as a matter of curiousity ;)

• Like 4

Phoenix is the only cartridge compatible, f18a compatible, SGM compatible, emulation compatible colecovision clone out there. It allows me to use my original controllers & original game carts.

anyone tried getting bluemsx to play colecovision on retro pi would appreciate that this is a better solution.

It is an excellent replacement for old systems no longer functioning.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, digress said:

Phoenix is the only cartridge compatible, f18a compatible, SGM compatible, emulation compatible colecovision clone out there. It allows me to use my original controllers & original game carts.

anyone tried getting bluemsx to play colecovision on retro pi would appreciate that this is a better solution.

CoolCV works perfectly on a raspberry pi. Even the trackball controller works with USB adapter.  Just in case you did not know and looking for robust emulators for the PI. 

SGM with original Colecovision also works great, no issues at all.  I have 2 CV original, both work great still to this date with a CRT Trinitron tv. 

Edited by alortegac

49 minutes ago, digress said:

You make some good points. There are several ColecoVision compatible systems on the market that have cores for many other systems. But the catch is those ColecoVision clones require a SD card and do not use the original cartridge slot, are not OPCODE SGM compatible, and do not use the original Coleco controllers. Also in the future if the ADAM core were to become a reality it would be the only ADAM computer compatible system on the market also.

So according to the specs it’s the best ColecoVision compatible system on the market. But there are two things that are currently hurting sales, one is only two cores for the system and the other is limited production with only a pre-order method. If the system was available on EBAY or Amazon’s website for around $200-$300 24 x 7 365 days out of the year it would be more popular. I think the second run pre-order date is ending on July 4th 2020. And that might be the last run which limits the user base to around 1,000+. But who knows adding a new core every year might bring enough demand for more pre-order runs in the future.  

Edited by HDTV1080P

37 minutes ago, alortegac said:

CoolCV works perfectly on a raspberry pi. Even the trackball controller works with USB adapter.  Just in case you did not know and looking for robust emulators for the PI. 

SGM with original Colecovision also works great, no issues at all.  I have 2 CV original, both work great still to this date with a CRT Trinitron tv. 

Ok so there are other systems like the PI that work with ColecoVision rom images from SD card and ia also OPCODE SGM compatible.  So the real advantage of the CollectorVision system is the ColecoVision cartridge slot and the ability to use real controllers. However someone could make a external USB docking station for ColecoVision cartridges for Windows and Linux based systems along with full USB Coleco controller support.

Once we get the ADAM core with PS/2 keyboard support then that will be a exclusive feature to play ADAM games like Family Feud and Jeopardy. Maybe TI-99 core in the future also.

Every system has its pluses and minuses. The more cores the better the system, but it takes time for a programmer to make those cores, and if the programmer is not getting paid and volunteering their time to make free cores, it might take much longer to make the core. That is one of the reasons why I suggested last year that consumers could pay for the system cores that they want which may improve the quality of the cores and speed up the development time.    

Edited by HDTV1080P

I think a "Maybe TI-99 core in the future also. "  would be a nice to have core.  Mainstream cores are certainly Atari and Intellivision.   But the original idea,  as I understand it,  is not only to be able to run  the roms from a SD card,  but to build cart adapters (like expansion modules)....is this correct?

• Like 1