IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

17 minutes ago, a2dconverter said:

Will this work to power the Roller Controller with minimum problems?

1859393371_RollerControllerPower.jpg.694e2f0b245a925b1da5c794348a3c8a.jpg

Seeya

Joe

I wouldn't do that as the ColUSB could pull too much power from the port. If it was just passing 5V along it might work, but it would be generating the 12 and -12 as well which would pull too much power from the system.

We are working on an adapter. If anyone wants to make something in the interim, it is better to use the expansion port as that has a polyfuse on the 5V line.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, Bmack36 said:

Yes, that is what I meant, and yes it is possible. The power and ground can be pulled from the PS/2 as well.

image.thumb.png.d7cc139463ababb43503a1c7b25f847c.pngimage.png.bb6bc610e6b7a78e37f1140875029d38.png778335911_20201015_114223(2).thumb.jpg.0d43522a5f2b2d880cccb8eb482ec857.jpg

The issue with Pin 9 and cables with nothing connected to it is a different issue. We are working on resolving that for the next batch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

If it was just passing 5V along it might work, but it would be generating the 12 and -12 as well which would pull too much power from the system.

If the ColUSB is connected directly to the Roller Controller, wouldn't the +12V and -5V rails be completely unloaded?  On that controller's plug, those two lines are just a straight passthrough (for the eventual connection to the Colecovision itself, which wouldn't be present in this case) and it only runs the +5V and GND lines to the controller.  (If you look at the power wire, it's clear there are only two conductors.  The schematic also confirms that only +5V is used.)

I have no idea what the quiescent current would be for the unused rails, but if they're small enough to fit in that adapter, they're going to be the buck/boost style, which are usually pretty efficient, right?

Edited by Falonn

5 minutes ago, Falonn said:

If the ColUSB is connected directly to the Roller Controller, wouldn't the +12V and -5V rails be completely unloaded?  On that controller's plug, those two lines are just a straight passthrough (for the eventual connection to the Colecovision itself, which wouldn't be present in this case) and it only runs the +5V and GND lines to the controller.  (If you look at the power wire, it's clear there are only two conductors.  The schematic also confirms that only +5V is used.)

I have no idea what the quiescent current would be for the unused rails, but if they're small enough to fit in that adapter, they're going to be the buck/boost style, which are usually pretty efficient, right?

Give it a shot and let us know.  

Well if you plugged in the ColUSB power supply as intended...some sort of wall-wart USB 5V outputting power supply - to USB cable - to ColUSB power adapter, then plug in the Roller Controller to it as your setup.  Then using a multi-meter, read the current draw on the USB cable's 5V power line, while you manipulate the trak-ball, and if the current draw is less than 125 mA overall...you should in theory be fine.  

1 hour ago, Falonn said:

Send me a Phoenix for testing and I will. ;)

We do know there was a case of a ColUSB getting very hot, warping the housing and burning out the +5V and -5V line, even with the ColecoVision disconnected. It seems this may depend on the power source. I know I suggested this setup myself, assuming disconnected means no energy use, but, it does seem the 3 lines may be somehow grounding voltage and/or current even when everything is turned off for it to get that hot. Either that or a ColUSB occasional defect. Not sure there was ever a conclusive cause found.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, zaphro72 said:

In an interesting turn of events Chuck is now working on my Phoenix off SD with rom’s it didn’t work with earlier with me doing nothing different other than playing games off the atarimax in between

I see this issue is still open in Github. Sometimes a glitch in one rom will cause a permanent issue until you turn the Phoenix off and on again. In 2600 mode I tried to open a couple games that didn’t work and then tried Asteroids and it just cycled through options endlessesly. And Start wouldn’t work for any other game. Turning ithe power on and off fixed it although even the reset button had no effect. 

4 minutes ago, Swami said:

I see this issue is still open in Github. Sometimes a glitch in one rom will cause a permanent issue until you turn the Phoenix off and on again. In 2600 mode I tried to open a couple games that didn’t work and then tried Asteroids and it just cycled through options endlessesly. And Start wouldn’t work for any other game. Turning ithe power on and off fixed it although even the reset button had no effect. 

Unfortunately Chuck Norris fails to work more times then it actually works for me right now. Power cycling seems to have no real effect as a cold boot or after another rom doesn't seem to work. I seem to be the only person having this issue though and it doesn't matter if I use rom's that work for other people.

On the 2600 core I seemed to have an issue (in the past I don't think I have it on the newest core revision) where if I didn't immediately start a game after selecting it then I would not be able to start the game.

2 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

Unfortunately Chuck Norris fails to work more times then it actually works for me right now. Power cycling seems to have no real effect as a cold boot or after another rom doesn't seem to work. I seem to be the only person having this issue though and it doesn't matter if I use rom's that work for other people.

On the 2600 core I seemed to have an issue (in the past I don't think I have it on the newest core revision) where if I didn't immediately start a game after selecting it then I would not be able to start the game.

I have been unable to reproduce the error with chuck or have anyone else have the same issue.

Edited by Bmack36

So, I am looking at something like this as a Phoenix storage/ portable case. Something that will be compact, but still be big enough for it and my growing list of accessories. Also, this one is a little roomy, so I don't have to plug and unplug peripherals, like the 8-pin adapter and 8bitdo retro reciever. The minimum size would be about 9 x 6 x 2 inches. This is about 12 x 7 x 4 inches. So, it's good except for the height, although sometimes they give box dimension by mistake, which would shrink everything 0.5 inches or so.

Anybody else found portable/storage cases they like for their Phoenix?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DXDQCQK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A6ALQ7NAGMPUT&psc=1

61cwDGWpO7L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Just for fun I put together a very simple adapter that resolves the issues with controllers with pin 9 connected but not hooked up.

Here one with the couplers. The first in the port is just the pass-through coupler as it arrived to use as an extension, the second has had the pin 9 removed. They are 10 for $9 from China on eBay. I got mine from the US for $15 for faster delivery.

image1 (2).jpeg

10 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Just for fun I put together a very simple adapter that resolves the issues with controllers with pin 9 connected but not hooked up.

Is there not an internal mod that those willing and capable could do?  I can't say that I'm particularly pleased with having to have adapters hanging off the front of my Phoenix.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Is there not an internal mod that those willing and capable could do?  I can't say that I'm particularly pleased with having to have adapters hanging off the front of my Phoenix.

He'd said they are looking for a way to shut off pin 9 through the menu. This is hopefully just an interim solution. 

Also it can be done with a short extension cord if you want something inconspicuous.

• 4 weeks later...

Btw, this makes me wonder if the issue with Thexder was somehow related to the pin9 issue that occurred with the Edladdin SAC or a standard controller with extension cord (which would both be wired to pin 9) but not a standard controller by itself, which would not have a lead to pin 9. The OEM ColecoVision does not have has the same issues with pin9 as the Phoenix, but could the lead on pin 9 situation be having a different but smaller effect? In this case on controller behavior. 

Were there any any other games besides Thexder with these unexplained Edladdin SAC effects that weren’t fixed by the battery?

1 minute ago, Swami said:

.... (which would both be wired to pin 9) but not a standard controller by itself, which would not have a lead to pin 9.

Be aware that early versions of the standard controllers did include a lead to pin 9 and these cause the same issues with the Phoenix.  The pin 9 wire is, in effect, just not connected to anything internally in the controller.

3 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Be aware that early versions of the standard controllers did include a lead to pin 9 and these cause the same issues with the Phoenix.  The pin 9 wire is, in effect, just not connected to anything internally in the controller.

Right. I’m not sure anyone ever tested early 9 lead standard controllers vs later 7 lead ones. I think someone hypothesized it might be due to increased resistance in the extension cord and Edladdin SAC controller but it was just left off at that point. 

1 minute ago, Swami said:

Right. I’m not sure anyone ever tested early 9 lead standard controllers vs later 7 lead ones. I think someone hypothesized it might be due to increased resistance in the extension cord and Edladdin SAC controller but it was just left off at that point. 

I tested a 9 lead standard controller and it had the same issues with the Phoenix as other 9 lead controllers.

52 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Anyone heard if the second batch of Pheonix' might be shipped before Xmas?  I've been waiting on mine for a year and I got a custom CV game already made that I want to gift my daughter. 

I feel like it's a bit of a long shot, but I'd like to know if there's a chance. 

0F0B2A2E-E734-4F03-94AE-528C139B27EB.jpeg

• Thanks 1