IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

Thanks, I decided to try while a bit more awake before reading your hint and got it on my own! Having played a lot of older games with word banks, this has its own style to learn. Especially when it comes to using or combining items you have. I tried using all those things from my inventory screen while standing on the trap door a while back, so I had the right solution in mind, just had to find how to tell the game to execute it. Neat to learn new takes on the method though. I'm planning on trying to finish it hint free but may come crawling back haha.

If you have a Phoenix, you should check it out! Minimal use of the keypad makes it great with a SNES controller too.

I know this has been discussed a lot, and a module to fix it is planned, but wanted to share what fixed the HDMI power issue for me. Before, I had to disconnect HDMI after power off every time. I'm not touching this mechanical switch, just running it through it. I forget it's there. It has an LED to indicate the active port, which turns off with the Phoenix. Not sure if the switch cuts power, if the LED is at play at all (it isn't lit when off) but this made the problem disappear. I tried many other switchers including auto switches but this is the only thing that fixed it for me without needing to switch something else off and on. If you're having the problem, it makes playing your Phoenix much more inviting without the hassle. Is what worked for me in any case.

20210128_210417.jpg

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, Hastor said:

I know this has been discussed a lot, and a module to fix it is planned, but wanted to share what fixed the HDMI power issue for me. Before, I had to disconnect HDMI after power off every time. I'm not touching this mechanical switch, just running it through it. I forget it's there. It has an LED to indicate the active port, which turns off with the Phoenix. Not sure if the switch cuts power, if the LED is at play at all (it isn't lit when off) but this made the problem disappear. I tried many other switchers including auto switches but this is the only thing that fixed it for me without needing to switch something else off and on. If you're having the problem, it makes playing your Phoenix much more inviting without the hassle. Is what worked for me in any case.

20210128_210417.jpg

THANK YOU!  I just picked one up for less than $5

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

THANK YOU!  I just picked one up for less than $5

No problem, was hoping this might help at least one person! Let me know if it works for you as well. I'd imagine so, but I'm the only example I have that I know for sure used this. I just leave it set on input 1, no cable in input 2, and the problem isn't there, power button on the Phoenix is all I need to touch.

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 3:36 PM, Bmack36 said:

The CV core is currently only outputting 640x480 with a 25MHz pixel clock (which is why there is the tv compatibility issue and will resolved with the firmware update). The atari2600 core is 720x480 with 27MHz which has better compatability. 

I use the avermedia live gamer portable 2 plus and it has worked well. Someone on the Collectorvision Phoenix Facebook group found a cheap one that worked as well.

@Bmack36 So I unfortunately chose to buy an Hauppauge HD PVR Pro 60.  I say unfortunately because it does NOT work with the Phoenix.  This capture device supports 480p60 so the expected fps is a far cry from what the Phoenix currently puts out.  So when you say that the tv compatibility will be resolved with an upcoming firmware update, will this increase the resolution and fps to the standard for SD 480p TV, i.e. 720x480p60?

Also, could you confirm that the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus works with the Phoenix even with the 25MHz pixel clock.  The specs for the Avermedia are basically the same as the Hauppauge, i.e. standard 480p, so I'm just a little surprised that the Avermedia would work with the Phoenix.  I may well have to change devices but don't want to go through the hassle unless it definitely works.

Edited by Ikrananka

47 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Also, could you confirm that the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus works with the Phoenix even with the 25MHz pixel clock.  The specs for the Avermedia are basically the same as the Hauppauge, i.e. standard 480p, so I'm just a little surprised that the Avermedia would work with the Phoenix.  I may well have to change devices but don't want to go through the hassle unless it definitely works.

Yes the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus works with the current core. That is the one I use.

15 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Yes the Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus works with the current core. That is the one I use.

Thanks Brian.  I've ordered one and should get it on Thursday.  I'm also working with Hauppauge support to see if they can extend down to these lower frame rates, apparently the lowest fps the HD PVR Pro 60 goes down at 640x480 is 30fps.

I'll evaluate both units and return the one that loses.

• 3 weeks later...

No idea if this is of any use to the Phoenix team, but the Spectrum Next team, who are currently working on a redesign of their hardware for their latest Kickstarter, have just posted an update that mentions the HDMI backpower issue.  They say they have now identified the root cause and have a definitive solution.

"The introduction of a digital output chip to fix the issue some users were experiencing with backpower through from some TVs keeping the Next alive during a reboot/power down didn’t fix the problem, but it finally made the root cause clear, allowing a definitive solution to be found and implemented for the next iteration."

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:21 AM, Ikrananka said:

Thanks Brian.  I've ordered one and should get it on Thursday.  I'm also working with Hauppauge support to see if they can extend down to these lower frame rates, apparently the lowest fps the HD PVR Pro 60 goes down at 640x480 is 30fps.

I'll evaluate both units and return the one that loses.

I can report back that the Hauppauge unit lost and has been returned.  Not only would it not record from the Phoenix at all, but with two other 480p sources the unit kept cutting off the bottom eighth of the screen.  Something their technical support were unable to resolve.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 9:10 PM, Hastor said:

20210128_210417.jpg

@Hastor - Could post a link to this switch? Didn't see it on Amazon - Thanks!

10 minutes ago, TF14 said:

Hmm it seems like it is no longer available, and even the image on the link from my order is a newer model with external power option etc. - still unavailable - here:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747LKQQT/

However, just searching for HDMI switches, I see many that look like exact clones - same case, button, lights. I imagine they're all the same guts from one place branded differently for different distributors. However, I can't guarantee that. I think finding one that looks like mine, but possibly different branding, would be your best hope, but can't say for sure other than the one I have. They're cheap enough to try a few lol.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TF14 said:

6 hours ago, Hastor said:

Hmm it seems like it is no longer available, and even the image on the link from my order is a newer model with external power option etc. - still unavailable - here:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747LKQQT/

However, just searching for HDMI switches, I see many that look like exact clones - same case, button, lights. I imagine they're all the same guts from one place branded differently for different distributors. However, I can't guarantee that. I think finding one that looks like mine, but possibly different branding, would be your best hope, but can't say for sure other than the one I have. They're cheap enough to try a few lol.

FYI I bought one on Ebay.  It came with another switch that was the exact same size and shape with the exact same buttons.  The other one does not work automagically with the Phoenix, but the Tendak does.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wongojack said:

FYI I bought one on Ebay.  It came with another switch that was the exact same size and shape with the exact same buttons.  The other one does not work automagically with the Phoenix, but the Tendak does.

Hmm that stinks that they aren't the same on the inside, so it looks like a gamble, assuming any of the others in that case work the same way. Guess I got lucky.

I bought it with the pure intention of hitting its button every time I turned the Phoenix off or on. Annoying but woulda allowed me to play without wearing out the HDMI port. To my surprise, that wasn't necessary, and it just made the Phoenix work correctly.

I just searched on ebay for Tendak HDMI Switch and see many with this case, but none that look like mine exactly...

Good luck! If someone finds another that does the trick, please share!

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Here's the other one that did NOT work automagically.  I actually didn't test it enough to know if pushing the button addresses the power problem.  It probably does, but it definitely did not work as effortlessly as the Tendak.

GoronyaHDMI.thumb.jpg.0a7ea621d5a082d1f21f65f888593fac.jpg

I think one with an external power source for external ground is more likely to help. Maybe some work without it but it seems to help.

Hi,

I've been a long time Coleco Fan, but past 10 years was sleeping on it.

Recently I brought it out and started gaming on it again, then find there are many homebrews (Dungeons and Trolls!), SGM (just signed up for one), clubs, and the Phoenix.

Looks like an amazing system but from what I've read, missed that boat entirely - 1st and 2nd runs! :(

Checking on ebay, everyone is keeping theirs tight, rightly so...

So was wondering, Is there a wait list in case there are any Extra Systems?

Thanks
Peter

13 minutes ago, PeterP said:

Hi,

I've been a long time Coleco Fan, but past 10 years was sleeping on it.

Recently I brought it out and started gaming on it again, then find there are many homebrews (Dungeons and Trolls!), SGM (just signed up for one), clubs, and the Phoenix.

Looks like an amazing system but from what I've read, missed that boat entirely - 1st and 2nd runs! :(

Checking on ebay, everyone is keeping theirs tight, rightly so...

So was wondering, Is there a wait list in case there are any Extra Systems?

Thanks
Peter

Yes. E-mail Toby at colecomaster@hotmail.com and request to be put on a waiting list for extra units. 

On 3/15/2021 at 11:57 AM, evg2000 said:

Has anyone tried Zoom 909 on the phoenix?  It seems like the walls that show up occasionally are pixelated, they look correct on a regular CV. Tried to take a picture, but hard to do while playing

I see the same effect.  Attached are some pictures, the one with the grey wall is on my real F18A modded CV through VGA, while the other with the black wall with top and bottom coloured bands is on my Phoenix.

DSC04179.thumb.JPG.402f3bc90d211ad4609370f49c9778e2.JPG DSC04192.thumb.JPG.f9e6a1f4bb5a45a1d6287687f5f99a52.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

I see the same effect.  Attached are some pictures, the one with the grey wall is on my real F18A modded CV through VGA, while the other with the black wall with top and bottom coloured bands is on my Phoenix.

DSC04179.thumb.JPG.402f3bc90d211ad4609370f49c9778e2.JPG DSC04192.thumb.JPG.f9e6a1f4bb5a45a1d6287687f5f99a52.JPG

Thanks for documenting the issue with images.  Exactly what I am seeing.  
I wonder what is causing it, hopefully can be fixed with a future update.
Not sure the "official" way to document the issue.

2 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Thanks for documenting the issue with images.  Exactly what I am seeing.  
I wonder what is causing it, hopefully can be fixed with a future update.
Not sure the "official" way to document the issue.

Originally the Github page was for that. Not sure if that is still the spot but I am assuming so.