IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

16 hours ago, youki said:

i don't understand, he renamed the phoenix :  Chameleon?

the "Colecovision Family Computer System"  is to make thing it is compatible Famicom? ?

He gets a little carried away with the naming to extend as many trademarks as he can. Like naming the mini- arcades Coleco ColecoVision Rainbow Brite, etc. Nevermimd the RB game was an NES format game. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Swami said:

He gets a little carried away with the naming to extend as many trademarks as he can. Like naming the mini- arcades Coleco ColecoVision Rainbow Brite, etc. Nevermimd the RB game was an NES format game. 

And the Robotech game was a gameboy advance ROM lol.....Chris C is sure a piece of work lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 12:55 AM, Swami said:

That's hilarious ? (and more than a little sad for the Phoenix). Sadder that he considered passing this off as the fruition of the Coleco Chameleon, then tried to hide it with semi-transparent tape. I wondered what possessed him to put a chameleon on the box. Don't give up on the window business Chris. Unfortunately, people are climbing over each other to buy these for a $100-$200 markup because it's sold out (okay, $200 markup gets you an Adam controller).

I will say the Phoenix seems quite in demand for a console so many people thought would flop.

Yep , that is my pic . Unfortunately I had to cancel my preorder on the 2nd batch last year due to personal reasons . I really wanted one . I saw that a 3rd batch may or may not happen and that if it does Collectorvision is raising the price by $50 and it would take a year to a year and a half for it to ship . I paid the $100 markup for the basic package just so I could get a Phoenix now . I would never pay the $200 markup just for a box and controller . When it arrived he had sent me the " Deluxe " edition with box and controller with a note that said " enjoy free upgrade " . 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poestyle said:

Yep , that is my pic . Unfortunately I had to cancel my preorder on the 2nd batch last year due to personal reasons . I really wanted one . I saw that a 3rd batch may or may not happen and that if it does Collectorvision is raising the price by $50 and it would take a year to a year and a half for it to ship . I paid the $100 markup for the basic package just so I could get a Phoenix now . I would never pay the $200 markup just for a box and controller . When it arrived he had sent me the " Deluxe " edition with box and controller with a note that said " enjoy free upgrade " . 

With the hopefully new controller and box with an interesting story, it’s worth the extra $100. Glad you got a decent deal. I figure he must have oversold the basic $300 one. Good for you. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2021 at 5:51 AM, MMarcoux66 said:

He recycled the name from this fiasco below.

Chameleon (video game console) - Wikipedia

JF mentioned in a Facebook post that CollectorVision requested that Chris remove the name Chameleon from the box.

I don’t understand why Collectorvision sold them to that douchebag Cardillo in the first place unless it was to smooth things over.  And you had to expect a markup from Cardillo.  I certainly would not have given him my support. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tron Unit said:

I don’t understand why Collectorvision sold them to that douchebag Cardillo in the first place unless it was to smooth things over.  And you had to expect a markup from Cardillo.  I certainly would not have given him my support. 

I understand them playing nice with him. Never know when you might need a deal on some windows :).

Seriously, I wonder what it would take to buy the Coleco name rights from him and just be done with this? Put the brand name with this community where it belongs and will be treasured.

14 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Seriously, I wonder what it would take to buy the Coleco name rights from him and just be done with this? Put the brand name with this community where it belongs and will be treasured.

^^^ This, tbh. It can't be producing much revenue for him at this point. I'd think it's a controlling device for him now more than anything. Seems like the value of that has to be minimal and the right offer might end this silliness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sfish said:

^^^ This, tbh. It can't be producing much revenue for him at this point. I'd think it's a controlling device for him now more than anything. Seems like the value of that has to be minimal and the right offer might end this silliness.

He’s squatting on it because he knows the trademark has value and to the ire of this community specifically.  If I were collectorvision I would have traded him those Phoenix’s for rights to the name.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sfish said:

Right now it is probably ColecoVision Flashback collection on various consoles and Steam, etc on PC. Those new Tiniest Ever consoles with the little TVs. Not that he was that involved in any of it. The interview he had when the tiniest arcades were introduced was funny because every question asked about the products he's been putting out was always, "Well, I wasn't really that involved in making it."

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just added a new issue to the Phoenix GitHub repository.

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/28

Activision 64k PCB ROMs Do NOT Work

64k ROMs that have been designed for the so-called Activision cart PCB do NOT work on the Phoenix. When attempting to run these ROM files from SD the Phoenix reports "unrecognised >32k Cart".

3 hours ago, Ikrananka said:

Just added a new issue to the Phoenix GitHub repository.

https://github.com/CollectorVision/Phoenix-Colecovision/issues/28

Activision 64k PCB ROMs Do NOT Work

64k ROMs that have been designed for the so-called Activision cart PCB do NOT work on the Phoenix. When attempting to run these ROM files from SD the Phoenix reports "unrecognised >32k Cart".

Does it happen on all of these types of carts?  Might want to add the name of one

2 minutes ago, evg2000 said:

Does it happen on all of these types of carts?  Might want to add the name of one

Well I tested 3 of them and none worked, specifically:

• Boxxle
  • Black Onyx
  • Jewel Panic

As the Phoenix complains that the >32k cart type is "unrecognised", I can only assume that it affects all 64k Activision PCB games.

Edited by Ikrananka
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Tron Unit said:

Ok this might be old news that may have been posted here before somewhere but I just stumbled across this and… well… WOW.  Somebody has an axe to grind.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-collectorvision-phoenix-part-2-fpga.html?m=1

I was going to say "issues" but I guess some people have nothing better to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tron Unit said:

Ok this might be old news that may have been posted here before somewhere but I just stumbled across this and… well… WOW.  Somebody has an axe to grind.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2018/11/the-collectorvision-phoenix-part-2-fpga.html?m=1

Just read it...  what a douche. Very sad...

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

Just read it...  what a douche. Very sad...

Yeah... a few points:

• The Phoenix does not inherently increase the "ColecoVision Pirate Game Industry".
  • I get that there are a lot of games that rip off game play (likely acceptable) and game name (likely not acceptable - yes, I'm being vague, but hey, I'm no lawyer), but I guess the copyright owners could do something about it if they wanted to. 95+% of the games are sold out in the open.
  • I consider the ColecoVision BIOS to be abandonware. I don't think whoever owns this knows that they own it, and if they did, they don't care. Note that I'm not talking about the ColecoVision name and logo here, which I think is a separate thing (that "ownership" has its own issues).
  • People could look at the Phoenix project, evaluate the risks and rewards, and determine if it was right for them. Atari 2600 support was a risk because I don't think it was completed at the time (actually, I have no idea if it's completed now ;) ), and as for me, no moderator (or fan or fanboy) convinced me one way or the other whether to purchase or not.
  • Most importantly, who named this Courtney sound chip SEX2764?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, 5-11under said:

Yeah... a few points:

• Most importantly, who named this Courtney sound chip SEX2764?

Completely missed that!  Too funny.  As somebody who grew up with games, gadgets and some of the coolest toys (I miss my Micronauts) I'm fascinated by the whole homebrew community and all aspects of it.  "Piracy" when it hurts things is one thing, but I don't see this as the case here.  And this isn't something new, games have always "borrowed" aspects from other games in one way or another.  From my first Opcode title (Space Invaders), CollectorVision (Mr. Chin) and even beta testing for Team Pixelboy (Girls Garden) I've been hooked and wouldn't want to see anything affect them like it did a few years back.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, retroillucid said:

There's alot of misinformations in there... :roll: 

Indeed, and he loses me completely when he says "There is money to be made here,...". No there isn't. I can't speak for how other homebrewers do their thing, but when I sell a game at 50$ per copy, that's how much money it cost me to make that single copy, so I'm just getting my invested money back with the sale of that copy. I could of course make cartridge-only releases, but I don't see much of a point in that personally, and I would still sell the carts at cost with no profit margin.

The ColecoVision scene is too much of a niche market and the manufacturing costs are so high for such low numbers of manufactured copies that the only way this can work is if it's done as a labor of love and nothing more. If I wanted to make a serious buck out of making video games, I wouldn't bother with the ColecoVision, I'd do games on smartphones, tablets and other current devices.

Seems to me the author of that article simply doesn't understand how small the ColecoVision scene actually is, always has been, and will inevitably remain. And there's also another aspect that, I think, explains why the copyright holders don't comes after guys like me: Not only am I "small potatoes" to begin with, but the games themselves are already out there, for everyone to play under emulation. I'm talking about the original MSX games, of course, as well as ADAM Super Game disk images. All those ROM files have been available on download sites for free for many years, so even if ColecoVision homebrewers had never ported any of them and released them on physical carts, it wouldn't make any difference in terms of "lost revenue" for the copyright holders, because the games can already be played by anyone who bothers to install an MSX (or ADAM) emulator on his/her computer. Shouldn't the author of the article follow his own logic to its conclusion and bitch about the very existence of software emulators for PC, Mac, R-Pie, etc. that encourage "free-to-play piracy"? Also, I'd be curious to know the author's opinion of all the people who actually buy these "controversial" homebrews to play on their ColecoVision consoles. Does he think they are all immoral accomplices?

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 7