Jump to content
Bmack36

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

If I were you I'd also reach out to whoever lives at your old address as many of these were actually shipped a week or two back and there's no signature required... so it could easily find its way to the doorstop of your old address. 

 

6 hours ago, 1980gamer said:

I think these shipped USPS.  If so and you put in a change of address, it should be forwarded to you.

 

Yes!  I was able to swoop in and extract my Phoenix today!   Whew!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/25/2021 at 7:59 PM, Bmack36 said:

This is a temporary measure until the firmware is fixed. It is purely an issue with the pixel clock in the colecovision core that needs to be adjusted to be closer to spec, but the resolution causes a rippling change throughout the core that just takes a lot to resolve. The adapter specified is different to some other similar looking scalars in that this one doesn't add an appreciable amount of lag. A different scalar (that looks similar) was HDMI to scart had so much lag, games were pretty much unplayable.

 

You can verify the issue by pressing * and then 2 immediately after pressing the power button. This loads the 2600 core which has a different video output where the pixel clock is correct.

I may not know what I'm talking about, but these guys in this forum have ways of fixing the FPGA without changing the pixel clock. Don't know if these would apply or not. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/implementing-a-vga-controller-on-spartan-3-board-with-25-0-mhz-clock/?fbclid=IwAR1Mv6AQzuhLh_vB4bmoWQuGeP412CZ5Zl5exWyrDU7tiPYYfDb9QPU16to

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just giving this thing a try tonight for the first time tonight.

 

So far I'm really enjoying it.  I only have two controllers with me... An Atari 7800 euro pad, which I'm impressed works with both buttons on the built in games.

 

The other controller is a SFC NTT DATA pad.  I've never used it before, but for some reason the Phoenix doesn't see it at all.  I'll get a regular SNES pad soon to see if that works.

 

Just wondering, has anyone had any trouble using an NTT DATA controller, or the SNES pad, on the Phoenix?  I'm just wondering if I have to enable it or something... Else it looks like my controller might be faulty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I'm just giving this thing a try tonight for the first time tonight.

 

So far I'm really enjoying it.  I only have two controllers with me... An Atari 7800 euro pad, which I'm impressed works with both buttons on the built in games.

 

The other controller is a SFC NTT DATA pad.  I've never used it before, but for some reason the Phoenix doesn't see it at all.  I'll get a regular SNES pad soon to see if that works.

 

Just wondering, has anyone had any trouble using an NTT DATA controller, or the SNES pad, on the Phoenix?  I'm just wondering if I have to enable it or something... Else it looks like my controller might be faulty.

Do you have an SNES?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swami said:

Do you have an SNES?

Fair question. Yes I do... Thank you (doy!). I'll hook it up this weekend and try this thing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Fair question. Yes I do... Thank you (doy!). I'll hook it up this weekend and try this thing out.

Also, here's a video of it in use, incase it is something basic. Maybe try it with and without a DB9 controller in the front player 1 port.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CaptainBreakout said:

An Atari 7800 euro pad, which I'm impressed works with both buttons on the built in games.

 

 

It does?  I've never tried my Euro pad with it.  Is this something they implemented for the Phoenix or just an accident?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey quick question to those of you guys using pad-style controllers with colecovision games (whether console/emulator/phoenix)...

 

Since all of the D-pad controllers I've seen have a "plus" (+) style pad, how do you do diagonal/8-way movement? Also, for games like pac-man, dig-dug (or even smurf where you have to push up to jump) that require quick directional changes to avoid "stopping and standing still" in between changes in direction, how well does this controller work? Basically I'm surprised that so many find and use this controller as their "preferred" way to play colecovision games as I would have thought these concerns would have been a barrier. But maybe not? I'd love to understand how your actual game-play is impacted (or not) by these issues before I buy yet-another-controller to try out and then let collect dust on the shelf... ;)

 

p.s. I should add that being an avid PS3/4/5 gamer I'm comfortable with a controller design that you hold with both hands and use your left thumb for directional control. However, most modern games aren't really designed for the pure 4/8-way (meaning your range of motion in most modern 3D games is continuous 360). So I'm used to using my left-thumb for directional control... just not to play pac-man and q-bert ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

Hey quick question to those of you guys using pad-style controllers with colecovision games (whether console/emulator/phoenix)...

 

Since all of the D-pad controllers I've seen have a "plus" (+) style pad, how do you do diagonal/8-way movement? Also, for games like pac-man, dig-dug (or even smurf where you have to push up to jump) that require quick directional changes to avoid "stopping and standing still" in between changes in direction, how well does this controller work? Basically I'm surprised that so many find and use this controller as their "preferred" way to play colecovision games as I would have thought these concerns would have been a barrier. But maybe not? I'd love to understand how your actual game-play is impacted (or not) by these issues before I buy yet-another-controller to try out and then let collect dust on the shelf... ;)

 

p.s. I should add that being an avid PS3/4/5 gamer I'm comfortable with a controller design that you hold with both hands and use your left thumb for directional control. However, most modern games aren't really designed for the pure 4/8-way (meaning your range of motion in most modern 3D games is continuous 360). So I'm used to using my left-thumb for directional control... just not to play pac-man and q-bert ;)

So is you are using the NTT Data Pad the ColecoVision core has a "hack" built in that you can use the "." button to jump in Smurf. Smurf is a little tricky IMO if you don't use the hack

 

I don't really have any issues with diagonal movement, you just push the "+" at an angle and it seems fine to me. I actually prefer it for Q-bert, just have to hold the controller at the 45 degree angle like the normal Colecovision controller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wongojack said:

It does?  I've never tried my Euro pad with it.  Is this something they implemented for the Phoenix or just an accident?

Happily, the Colecovision and 7800 secondary buttons have always been compatible with each other.  Very convenient if you have a particular controller you like, especially since the standard controllers for both systems are less than ideal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wongojack said:

It does?  I've never tried my Euro pad with it.  Is this something they implemented for the Phoenix or just an accident?

Yeah!  I was surprised... I tried Princess Quest with it, and sure enough the 7800 pad can jump and shoot!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

Yeah!  I was surprised... I tried Princess Quest with it, and sure enough the 7800 pad can jump and shoot!

It can do everything except the very few games where you push both buttons at the same time: Tutankhamen grenades, Ninja Princess flip, others? Also no keypad functions, of course. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I thought,  unless I am misremembering or something...Pretty sure I tried playing Super Cobra on my old ColecoVision and you could only use both buttons if you were already pushing one of them down, or something...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, wongojack said:

It does?  I've never tried my Euro pad with it.  Is this something they implemented for the Phoenix or just an accident?

I've used 7800 Euro pads with my ColecoVision for years, I bought them specifically for it from Best Electronics.

 

Having carpal tunnel prevents me from using the stock Coleco controllers anymore.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone.  I seem to remember now that the 7800 controller buttons work independently, but I must have hit a glitch in the Matrix after learning that because I never tried it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I screwed up.  Apparently my unit came with CV core 8, and tonight I accidentally installed core 4.  The latest core in the FP is 7.  Any help for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received my ADAM colored Phoenix the other day. Big thanks to JF and Toby! Cheers, fellas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Okay, I screwed up.  Apparently my unit came with CV core 8, and tonight I accidentally installed core 4.  The latest core in the FP is 7.  Any help for me?

@Bmack36 can you help out @OLD CS1 ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bmack36 said:

Rev8

Muchas!  Next question: I have one of the original run units which will not load the new service core.  It reports a read error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update... I tried a standard SNES pad in this and it works great!

 

So it looks like my NTT DATA pad is faulty somehow.  I'll try to replace the cord for it and open it up.  If anyone knows any troubleshooting procedures for this controller, a link would be very appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 12:40 AM, OLD CS1 said:

Muchas!  Next question: I have one of the original run units which will not load the new service core.  It reports a read error.

You don't need to update the service core at this time on old units. There is no real value to it until the TV compatability issues are resolved.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the cord on my NTT Data controller with a donar from a working SNES controller. Works!!!

 

Sweet jumping jesus!

 

Okay, really nice I don't have to shell out $100+ for another NTT Data controller.

 

Here's a little tidbit from a PM I wrote recently... love me my Phoenix.

 

---

There was a kinda comical situation involving the delivery of my CollectorVision Phoenix, which I had to pre-order almost two years ago.  I literally asked them to update my shipping address the day after they already shipped it!  There was a mad dash to my old house to grab the package, but yeah it was successful.  So there were a few games I finally got to play with my kids, since I never had a Coleco.  Flora happens to be the name of my daughter, so Flora and the Ghost Mirror was one of the main reasons I wanted the thing.  Secret of the Moai was pretty fun with the kids watching and telling me what moves I should make, and also since my dad has a thing for Easter Island heads.  Sidney Hunter was also surprisingly entertaining.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any possibility of a third run?  I finally got mine working and it's incredible to see these games in such perfect HDMI quality, especially out of cartridges.  I would love to order another, or another two, just in case anything unfortunate happens to the one that I just received at some point in the coming years.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...