Jump to content
Bmack36

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, NIAD said:

I'm still banned from that thread for no reason.

 

Untitled.jpg

This is going to be your final warning. If you continue to press the issue in this thread, instead of taking it private with myself and/or @Albert I will be forced to remove your comments and ban you from this topic.  Thank you for your understanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NIAD said:

I'm still banned from that thread for no reason.

 

Untitled.jpg

Obviously you must have the same opinion as others or be banned.  Crazy...  never seen anything like it anywhere.  Sending a note to Al is one thing but copying someone else is pointless when you see how they respond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Milli Vee said:

we are getting 12” of snow tonight.

Well, this is fun... ... ...

 

 

Same here... I'm in Ontario, 20 miles from Niagara Falls. Where are you at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, eebuckeye said:

Obviously you must have the same opinion as others or be banned.  Crazy...  never seen anything like it anywhere.  Sending a note to Al is one thing but copying someone else is pointless when you see how they respond.

As a moderate of this forum I am well within my right to ask people to take off-topic heated arguments out of the forum and direct them to private messages so they can be reasonably settled.  This is not the appropriate thread for this discussion, and if you would like to discuss it further, please start a private conversation with @Albert and/or myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TPR said:

4. I don't appear to have any private messages from you trying to work out any differences, which of course if I would have received I would have been happy to explain further.

In all fairness to you, this was not your approach in the past. Speaking from direct, personal experience, my first encounter with your moderation approach led me to reach out by PM to you to explain grounds for deletion of a post of mine without comment. My request was met with a string of meme GIFs that did nothing to reveal what prompted deletion in the first place, as well as a promise to ban me from AtariAge for raising the topic of moderation.

 

My second encounter with your heavy-handedness later on led me to reconsider my degree of participation on the forums altogether.

 

Good to hear of the change in your response to feedback.

 

In all fairness to this thread, this entire discussion (though clearly of interest to many) is out-of-place with respect to its stated topic, the CollectorVision Phoenix. Is there any way to disentangle one from the other at this point, to regain the original focus of the discussion?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   

22 hours ago, mumbai said:

In all fairness to you, this was not your approach in the past.

Just like the post that prompted this recent discussion, you are dragging up events that happened in 2018. I do not that that is "fair" at all to bring them up and discuss them as though they are current today.

 

22 hours ago, mumbai said:

In all fairness to this thread, this entire discussion (though clearly of interest to many) is out-of-place with respect to its stated topic, the CollectorVision Phoenix. Is there any way to disentangle one from the other at this point, to regain the original focus of the discussion?

 

That being said, you are 100% correct. From this point onward any discussion that isn't about the CollectorVision Phoenix will be removed as that is the topic at hand.  This discussion has gone off the rails enough.  I have made my points very clear which I am going to copy again below.  If anyone would like to discuss this further, you are more than welcome to start a private discussion with @Albert and/or myself.  Thank you.


 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:43 PM, TPR said:

I would just like to set the record straight here on a few things:

 

1. This recent conversation is based on an article and actions that happened in 2018. I do not think it is fair to bring up those arguments from the past and I would encourage everyone to simply "move on" from then.  

 

2. In regards to the questioning of moderation in the ColecoVision forum, a total of four topics have been removed in the last 2 years.  One of which was the CollectorVision Experience Club thread and I removed that mainly so that @retroillucid can post about it himself. I admit that I jumped the gun on making that post as it should have come from CollectorVision themselves, which JF has since made a post about it in the CollectorVision forum, and I apologize for any disturbance that original post created. The other removed posts were either spam or posts that didn't belong in the forum.

 

3. As for any of the comments regarding Milli, I posted my review of Crazy Climber Redux and my thoughts on his Kickstarter.  I feel I was completely in the right on those comments and many people have agreed with me, and many people have disagreed.  There was no "smear campaign" as I posted it only to the three social media outlets that I moderate or contribute to, just like I post everything else.  There was no more of a "smear campaign" for Crazy Climber Redux as there was for any "Atari 2600 / ColecoVision Game of the Day" posts I make on my other social media channels.  Milli is more than welcome to publish his games and everyone should be allowed to comment on them and give their opinions as they so wish, after all he is publishing full-priced $59 games.  

 

I fully understand that some people may not approve of my moderating which I admit had been a bit more aggressive, and @Albert and I have had some discussions about that and I have most certainly lightened up since those events in 2018.  In the last 2 years, the ColecoVision forum has seen more than 800 active threads and the drama has been very low.  In my defense, moderating any sort of group is a very thankless job and it is not as easy as it may seem.  This community has grown leaps and bounds over the last two years and I do applaud every one of you who has kept a console alive that should have been dead and gone 35 years ago.

 

And for that, I thank all of you.  And thank you for hearing me out. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Can we PLEASE, get back to the main topic?

If you've problem with someone, please go in PM 

Thanks!

Ok.

 

Can we get updates on the firmware fix for the pixel clock issue that was targeted to be fixed a year ago?

 

What about the roller controller power adapter that was being tested to fix the jumpy movements? As I recall that was due to the roller being powered by a different source than the Phoenix. So the fix was to make an adapter that would get powered off the expansion port. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, evg2000 said:

I really enjoy my Phoenix, thank collectorvision for creating/selling it!

Totally agree. Thank you! Charlotte is completely iced over and I am playing Cavern Fighters on it. Reminds me of the snow days back in St. Paul in the 80s with my original ColecoVision...  minus the beer I have today...  lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nick3092 said:

Ok.

 

Can we get updates on the firmware fix for the pixel clock issue that was targeted to be fixed a year ago?

 

What about the roller controller power adapter that was being tested to fix the jumpy movements? As I recall that was due to the roller being powered by a different source than the Phoenix. So the fix was to make an adapter that would get powered off the expansion port. 


Sure

Our main programmer is currently closing a project, then he'll resume works on the Phoenix cores/issues
I'm also using the Phoenix as my main console, so I also want those issues to be resolved
 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, retroillucid said:


Sure

Our main programmer is currently closing a project, then he'll resume works on the Phoenix cores/issues
I'm also using the Phoenix as my main console, so I also want those issues to be resolved
 

This is good to hear. I both love my Phoenix, but also am a little disappointed that it isn't doing everything I imagined it would be doing by now (or a while back really, even pre-pandemic). I know there's a game or two that doesn't display correctly, and last I checked the 2600 core wasn't working in a really playable way (or I am doing something very wrong). Use of the Roller Controller would be nice as well. It hasn't really bugged me as I have a real CV that's RCA modded, a good CRT, and the 2600 adapter with a Symphony Cart. So if I wanna play something that doesn't work right, I just move over to that. It is very handy to pop out the Phoenix on the bedroom TV though. And I've enjoyed Dead Tomb, the one game exclusive to Phoenix (as in doesn't work on a real CV - it also had a NES release which I also have). It's perfectly fine for 95% of CV stuff though, so I grab it for a quick game some. Did need to use an HDMI switch that magically corrected the HDMI problem, but since I've had that, it's been fun. I'd love to see it grow!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hastor said:

... And I've enjoyed Dead Tomb, the one game exclusive to Phoenix (as in doesn't work on a real CV - it also had a NES release which I also have)....

I'm currently working on Gorf SuperGame, wich is going to be a Phoenix exclusive (will not work on regular CV)
There will be 30 different missions in the game

There's also Turbo SuperGame in the works as well 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

I'm currently working on Gorf SuperGame, wich is going to be a Phoenix exclusive (will not work on regular CV)
There will be 30 different missions in the game

There's also Turbo SuperGame in the works as well 

May I ask why it won't work on a regular ColecoVision? I do have a Phoenix, but quite frankly I haven't used it much since I got it. I like playing on my ColecoVision or ADAM. I would be interested in both these games though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X2. My Phoenix is in its box, I play original CV with SGM on CRt. I wish the games were compatible, sound to be fun. 

Edited by alortegac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

May I ask why it won't work on a regular ColecoVision? I do have a Phoenix, but quite frankly I haven't used it much since I got it. I like playing on my ColecoVision or ADAM. I would be interested in both these games though.

It using the additional graphic mode added to the F18A that's not present on the TMS9918A chip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phew! This was a long thread to thread! I enjoy using my Pheonix console. In fact, I retired my OG Colecovision once the console arrived. I haven’t bothered with some of the firmware updates due to all the issues that were reported (i.e. HDMI functionality issues, etc),. so I’m very happy with the way things are for my Phoenix. 
 

As for that person who wrote that rant about homebrew releases: he is clearly misinformed, if not a bit jaded (for one reason or another). I believe this was already mentioned earlier in this thread, but where is his outrage over emulation and those RasberryPI emulation machines that people buy? Especially if he’s so concerned about the developers losing money?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ColecoGamer said:

I haven’t bothered with some of the firmware updates due to all the issues that were reported (i.e. HDMI functionality issues, etc),. 

The HDMI issue is a hardware thing, not caused or fixed by firmware. If you can turn off the Phoenix and back on without glitches, your tv isn't affected.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hastor said:

The HDMI issue is a hardware thing, not caused or fixed by firmware. If you can turn off the Phoenix and back on without glitches, your tv isn't affected.

Ah! This is good to know! Thank you for the clarification, Hastor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

It using the additional graphic mode added to the F18A that's not present on the TMS9918A chip. 

So would it work on an ADAM with an F18A installed? Or is it specifically added to work on the Phoenix's F18A emulation?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry if my issue has been discussed already.

I got the 2nd round release of the Phoenix (loving it BTW), sent it back for service due to issues, got it back and it works great for CV games but not Atari games.  The SD card I was using before sending it off for maintenance is the same as I am using now, CV games work from it, Atari games do not, but they did work before servicing.  All Atari ROMs have .bin file extension and no matter which one I try to load I get the error "Unrecognized file type. Press fire.."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tjrtech2 said:

I am sorry if my issue has been discussed already.

I got the 2nd round release of the Phoenix (loving it BTW), sent it back for service due to issues, got it back and it works great for CV games but not Atari games.  The SD card I was using before sending it off for maintenance is the same as I am using now, CV games work from it, Atari games do not, but they did work before servicing.  All Atari ROMs have .bin file extension and no matter which one I try to load I get the error "Unrecognized file type. Press fire.."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe try reflashing the most recent 2600 core from the first post in the thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

And just to be sure, you are in the atari core when this happens?

 

Probably not, since that's an error from the ColecoVision menu. ;)

Remember to change cores at startup by pressing * right away, before the Coleco core starts up :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...