IGNORED

CollectorVision Phoenix Release Thread

Bmack36

I would appreciate more updates on core revisions.  The Phoenix did not work correctly on either of my HDMI displays when I first got it.  I have posted on the GitHub item for this issue which has not been updated in a long time.  There is no fix for this.  The only resolution proposed is to use a composite adapter.  I have a composite adapter that introduces significant lag and makes the pack-in game too hard.   Supposedly, a different adapter has been tested and found to have minimal lag, but I've already got 2 adapters for this thing (one to avoid the power problem and one for composite), and it seems a little ridiculous to keep buying them.

As far as I know, there is no place to communicate about these problems except threads like this or on the GitHub page.  Honestly, I've basically given up hope that the "pixel clock" issue will be fixed.  I'm still satisfied with my purchase even if it never gets fixed, but it does sorta downgrade my overall experience.

As far as the programmer being busy working on a SNES game, this just comes down to priorities.  I first reported my issue in November of 2019, so it is obvious to me that prioritizing fixes for the Phoenix is not #1 for Collectorvision.  Ok, that's fine.  Message received.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, wongojack said:

As far as I know, there is no place to communicate about these problems except threads like this or on the GitHub page.  Honestly, I've basically given up hope that the "pixel clock" issue will be fixed.  I'm still satisfied with my purchase even if it never gets fixed, but it does sorta downgrade my overall experience.

There is also a dedicated CollectorVision Phoenix group on Facebook, if you use it:

Collectorvision Phoenix | Facebook

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2022 at 4:41 PM, retroillucid said:

Our main programmer is still busy finishing our SNES game
Once he's completely done with it, he'll resume works on the Phoenix

Please, keep in mind we (CollectorVision) all want perfectly working core(s)
It's not something we don't care of don't want to improve, cause we REALLY want!

And since the Phoenix is open source, anyone can work on it, not just us. 

Heya!

So since it's been a couple months, how close is he to finishing up that SNES game? Summer? Fall?

Looking forward to that clock fix, and the Atari 2600 core adjustments myself!

Loving the machine in the meantime in an alternate location. Looking forward to playing it on my Sony in my game room.

ps2 port can also be used for a mouse. Eventually an msx core would also use a keyboard. There for future expansion.

I would like to be able to use a mouse and play with the coleco sketch it program for instance using just the colecovision core or as a roller controller alternative.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Lil Alien said:

It's been 4 months since any comment about the firmware clock fixes, etc. Did the programmer finish that SNES project as of yet that was referenced in March?

Thanks!

no, if you want to check on the status of the snes game just look here:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/justice-beaver-new-super-nintendo-game?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bck-07112022update&utm_term=#/updates/all

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I have a first release Phoenix that I've never updated the cores on. I've downloaded the latest cores and put them on the SD card. When I try to install the 2600 core, it returns SD Error 03. I'm using the original SD card. What does this mean? Do I really need to install a new core instead of just overwriting the old one on the SD? The 2600 core crashes alot even in the main menu. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

@Master Phruby did you fix your 2600 core problem?  Did another Phoenix release happen? Where do I sign up? I definitely wanna be onboard for next release.

I gave up on it.  It is too bad the Phoenix was never really supported. Collectorvision got their money and all the promised cores never happen. At least it plays Colecovision fairly well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

***Collectorvision got their money***  Wow, thank you so much for your support. 

You have NO idea! We didn't make any money with the Phoenix.  I personally spent like 500 hours on this project.

I'm not sure if I would do it again.  Am I happy we did it, YES!  Why did we do it…? Passion!  It's an honor to be involved in the coleco community. I'm proud we did it. 

We did spoke with a few 3rd parties to take over the project.  It almost worked out. But it looks like the guy who did the conception of the Phoenix,

doesn't want to supply all the information for someone to re-release the Phoenix again. It is not over yet!

I'm sorry if we disappointed some of you. I really wish someday it will happen again.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, coleco_master said:

I'm sorry if we disappointed some of you. I really wish someday it will happen again.

Me too. I was one of the Christmas 82 kids and would love to get my hands on a Phoenix.post-4314-129322209162_thumb.jpg    Yup that's me and my brother playing DK on XMAS DAY 82...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retroillucid said:

I would make more money by flipping my personal Phoenix on ebay than the entire run of Phoenix we did

Wow Impressive.. but I don't think that's the issue here. I'll just stand back now.. I just walked into this thread...

2 hours ago, coleco_master said:

***Collectorvision got their money***  Wow, thank you so much for your support. 

You have NO idea! We didn't make any money with the Phoenix.  I personally spent like 500 hours on this project.

I'm not sure if I would do it again.  Am I happy we did it, YES!  Why did we do it…? Passion!  It's an honor to be involved in the coleco community. I'm proud we did it. 

We did spoke with a few 3rd parties to take over the project.  It almost worked out. But it looks like the guy who did the conception of the Phoenix,

doesn't want to supply all the information for someone to re-release the Phoenix again. It is not over yet!

I for one appreciate the efforts on the Phoenix. I use mine daily and am thankful for it! I will say for many of us that grew up in the 80s, we truly love and respect the efforts and time Toby, JF and the rest of the Collectorvision team have provided us! …and continue to provide us…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MMarcoux66 said:

I for one appreciate the efforts on the Phoenix. I use mine daily and am thankful for it! I will say for many of us that grew up in the 80s, we truly love and respect the efforts and time Toby, JF and the rest of the Collectorvision team have provided us! …and continue to provide us…

Right on. I am almost exclusively using the Phoenix for my Colecovision gaming.  I'll test a rom from time to time on my laptop... But playing... The PHOENIX baby!

@retroillucid Will their be a CLUB this year?

• Like 1

Let me clear things up a little bit.... 

We (CollectorVision) all wants a perfect Atari/CV cores, we also want MSX1 and SMS cores as well
So it's not like we don't want to have those supported! 

The problem is the programmer of the cores is currently busy finishing up a SNES game.
He need to finish that project before going on a fixing/creating more cores.
Let me remind you that the Phoenix is open-source, so anyone could do it...

As for another Phoenix run, well .... 
Toby and I are not interested in doing it (go figure why...), hence why Toby said we're looking for a (serious) 3rd party to take care of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Glad the Phoenix exists, don't want to sell mine, wish it was better.  Surely there is room for that opinion.

Yup. I'm glad it exists too, wish I got onboard and ordered one, and I have no idea how I'd feel about it. I'll be happy when/if I get one it supports 100% of my Coleco games, about 40 carts. And the Nintendo Super Famicom NTT DATA KEY PAD Controller works too. I so done with stock controller... we need a replacement for that too. Even the Jag controller rewired to work would be crazy awesome! Sorry guys... I'm off topic now..

2 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

Yup. I'm glad it exists too, wish I got onboard and ordered one, and I have no idea how I'd feel about it. I'll be happy when/if I get one it supports 100% of my Coleco games, about 40 carts. And the Nintendo Super Famicom NTT DATA KEY PAD Controller works too. I so done with stock controller... we need a replacement for that too. Even the Jag controller rewired to work would be crazy awesome! Sorry guys... I'm off topic now..

That NTT Data Keypad is a MUST buy for a Phoenix. I believe someone also was modding them to work natively on the stock Colecovision. I think there is another thread in the main CV forum.

• Like 1