IGNORED

FREE older PCs (no hard drives)

batari

I am downsizing and getting rid of some old PCs. These are cases with motherboards inside, no hard drives.

FREE local pick up in Oregon, this is my preference.

Or FREE plus shipping of anything/everything if I can't get a local taker.

Note that shipping a full computer case is EXPENSIVE. I weighed one at 24 lbs and estimated it would cost $60 to ship it via UPS across the country. Not worth it. However, if someone truly wants to pay that, all good.

If I can’t give these away locally, I am willing to remove the motherboards and/or PSUs, DVDs, etc and ship them separately to someone who wants them, and recycle the metal in the cases.

All three PCs were working, set up and functioning until about a year ago, but I have moved and no longer have space to set these up.

These have NO HARD DRIVES. I am keeping all hard drives in case I need to get the data from them.

Please reply here if interested in all or part. Preference is given to locals and to those willing to take all or most to save me time and energy. Feel free to ask questions!

PC #1: This is a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, I think? I bought it about 17 years ago, give or take. I think it has around 1G of RAM, maybe 768M. Has all the ports, like serial and parallel, so useful for stuff that requires those. IDE drives only.

IMG_0891.thumb.jpg.3ddfd3b982ed26efd59888b11886be6a.jpgIMG_0887.thumb.jpg.f3bd9df4a7ca5840e5074b2c9dcedb60.jpgIMG_0886.thumb.jpg.9d64b719f164e37d5a4323a133c703ff.jpgIMG_0885.thumb.jpg.47f4ee077867d4ac7e99029a4cca3074.jpg

PC #2: Some sort of HP/Dell. Around 12 years old? Unsure of the specs. Has maybe 2G of ram, though might be less. Has a DVD drive I think, and a card reader. Supports IDE or SATA drives. Not sure of the CPU on this one.

IMG_0892.thumb.jpg.584b9b136dfbb4060c5dafb2e1f7b742.jpgIMG_0884.thumb.jpg.4b9e07bcd5b4e7901c6377f6820d29f3.jpgIMG_0883.thumb.jpg.c67611c2c8179a4ccb3ea788cce79811.jpgIMG_0882.thumb.jpg.965bc14e11cfb0c7d1015e1b8c19f169.jpg

PC #3: The only one with a complete case. Not sure of the speed, but it’s the newest motherboard, about 10 years old. No RAM, it’s been removed, but when it was running I had about 8G in it. I think the PSU fan on this one is slow, should be replaced, but never seems to overheat. Supports IDE/SATA. You can see the motherboard type and look up what it is, pretty sure it’s an AMD64, probably dual core, but I can’t be bothered to check.

Thanks for your interest, hope someone can use one or all of these, or parts of any.

IMG_0888.thumb.jpg.a0e6ca0019674900788561e0fc2d9ae6.jpgIMG_0889.thumb.jpg.e39627b47e418a0bcd82f91c1ee02434.jpgIMG_0890.thumb.jpg.d1dcb5f1456b56ed4f54fc6823a3eead.jpgIMG_0893.thumb.jpg.5dc26e302f5e58b30a7d1c6cf3b38939.jpg

Thanks!

6 hours ago, pacman000 said:

Electronics recycling is probably better, but either option seems like such a waste...

It costs $10 per PC to recycle them here, last time I checked, which does seem like a waste of money, and working hardware, that maybe someone can use.

• Like 1

That third one... if it uses AMD64 someone might be able to stick a Athlon or Phenom x4 in it. Put in a Hyper 212 EVO in it and overclock it to around 3.5GHz. Stick in a cheap 2GB PCI-e GPU and put in at least 8GB of DDR3 and you can have a decent gaming rig that can play pretty much all modern PC games at medium to high settings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, batari said:

It costs $10 per PC to recycle them here, last time I checked, which does seem like a waste of money, and working hardware, that maybe someone can use.

Most of the time the problem is making the right connections to buy/sell/giveaway. At least that's been my experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since there is no serious interest in these, I am taking the motherboards out and recycling the metal in the cases. If anyone wants the mobos I'll ship the three of them in a large flat rate box anywhere in the US, just pay the shipping. About $18 for shipping.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:54 PM, batari said:

Costs $25 or more * to recycle LCD screens and Macs with screens fall into that category.   I have decided just to throw them in my attic and let the next home owner deal with them.  :P

(* I hear in some places it is $5 per inch.   That certainly inspires me not buy a 47" screen.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 10:11 PM, doctorclu said:

Costs $25 or more * to recycle LCD screens and Macs with screens fall into that category.   I have decided just to throw them in my attic and let the next home owner deal with them.  :P

(* I hear in some places it is $5 per inch.   That certainly inspires me not buy a 47" screen.)

In the USA, you now pay a fee when you purchase an LCD/TV screen. That recycling fee should be refunded to you when you turn the device in to recycle it.

17 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

In the USA, you now pay a fee when you purchase an LCD/TV screen. That recycling fee should be refunded to you when you turn the device in to recycle it.

That is good to know.  So you would need to return the TV to the place you bought it then?

They do not refund any kind of fee. Nor should they.

They do not accept those large televisions back at PoP. Just the small stuff like phones and batteries at some locations. They usually have a bin upfront for those like in Target.

Some villages come by every year and collect e-waste or have you bring it to them. But that remains an annual affair. What to do with the stuff in the meantime? An important question for 1-room studio apartment renters.

There is NO CLEAR and CONSISTENT answer as to what to do with larger bits of e-waste. So just throw it in the trash. They don't take it? No problem. Break it up into smaller pieces It's all going to the city dump one way or another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

That is good to know.  So you would need to return the TV to the place you bought it then?

Sorry, I am incorrect. I believed that these fees were similar to aluminum can recycling fees. Instead the fee is supposed to cover the costs of state e-waste collectors to cover the cost of recycling those materials.

About half the states have ewaste recycling laws. My state has free ewaste recycling where they will come to your door to collect larger ewaste (TVs), and free drop off.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/environment-and-natural-resources/e-waste-recycling-legislation.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I still have these but i moved them to my storage unit for now. I did get some interest when I said I'd split shipping but I have since discovered that Goodwill will take PCs in any condition without question, through an arrangement with Dell, or so I hear. They will also take working flat panel monitors and TVs for free. So that is where they are going to go in the next week or so.

This way I don't have to take the time to disassemble them and ship the motherboards nor do I need to spend any money to get rid of them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, Keatah said:

There is NO CLEAR and CONSISTENT answer as to what to do with larger bits of e-waste. So just throw it in the trash. They don't take it? No problem. Break it up into smaller pieces It's all going to the city dump one way or another.

Donate it to a thrift shop?

I have donated non-working video game consoles and other electronics several times. The thrift shop then sells it as "untested" or is otherwise responsible for disposing of it. Similarly, I have seen obviously broken/damaged/missing important parts electronics items for sale at thrift shops. 

My last desktop and laptop were left (sans hard drives, of course) in public areas in my apartment building -- they were gone within a few hours, presumably for resale as "untested". Both worked, though the laptop power jack was flaky. 

In one memorable case, a retail store refused to accept a small item of e-waste, so I left it in the garbage can located outside of their store. 

Edited by jhd
Fixed a typo

I am super surprised Goodwill took these at all. The Goodwills in my area (I have three locally) will not accept computers at all. For a while they did, but tossed them and just kept the keyboards and flat panels to sell. CRTs are a no go too. Now, they will not take anything but accessories.

Edited by eightbit