Jump to content
MemberAtarian

MidiTari - Midi to TIA converter tool

Recommended Posts

I proudly present you my new application that allows you to convert midi into asm code that can be used for your Atari 2600 games. :)

 

To use the application, you have to select 2 channels for the two audio channels of the TIA. These channels can be simple midi channels converted or merged ones from several of the midi file.

Basically, the program allows you to convert into mono bAtari Basic audio code which contains volume, channel, frequency and duration, but it is more convinient to convert the channels into a compressed ASM code.
Why do I recommend that? In my code, volume and channel are both stored on the same byte and if the volume or channel is a zero, the code only contains a zero and a duration, so it takes less space of your ROM.

The application automatically decides which TIA channels contain less off-tones, so i won't sound as bad as you expect, it is an Atari 2600 anyway. You can change two chords up or down by 2 if it sounds better.

 

Merged channels are special. You select several channels up to 4 from your MIDI and the an algorith will merge them. The one in the primary channel is always on the top, the second can be only heard if there is no tone on the first, the third only fills the remaining gaps and the 4th only appears if there is nothing on #1, #2 and #3. You can have a merged channel for both TIA channels.

Example:


Touhou Project: Bad Apple

 

Download (pcloud)

1.png

2.png

 

EXE: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZirkQkZUgeQNjJGK8b4NcneR9atPhFlY36V

7ZIP: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZ3rkQkZrQQqrISFPUznWgooTmoey8F2bCtk

Added 64bit versions.

 

2019.11.10.:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZirnQkZJi76DaM9n67x3HaApUu1zjFUMwMk

I released 0.10, several bugs got erased.
-No fadeout effect for silect parts (dunno how I magaged to leave this in)
-At merging, it did not merge channel 4, typo were in code.
-At merging, I did corrected method so it won't add silent parts above music.


2019.11.11.:
https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZStTQkZxmcEBMmTbNY6FwI5meCWIpegq5uX

0.11:
-Removed the bug that left the older code in channel window if the new one had no notes at all.
-You can set "automatic update" at merging, so it will change all the avaiable codes, if you want it to do so.

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mate, after downloading your tool my anti virus protector (MSE) detected a threat and deleted the .exe. I hadn't even the chance to check with Malwarebytes.

 

Quarantined threat was - Adware:Win32/Unwaders.A!ml

Edited by TwentySixHundred

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 6:42 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi mate, after downloading your tool my anti virus protector (MSE) detected a threat and deleted the .exe. I hadn't even the chance to check with Malwarebytes.

 

Quarantined threat was - Adware:Win32/Unwaders.A!ml

Dunno why some stupid antivirus protector cries, it is negative and have no harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i do not know how computers work.  if i DL your progam, and DL a midi file, does it plop out a ROM for my harmony cart? I'm attempting to do just that right now.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh hey i got the virus blocker too, so yea youre saying its all good though-- ok well ill get it later if you think i should........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dawg it says severe- but youre saying its ok, i believe you bro, but will i be able to get the files converted to a rom file? thanks for your work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZirnQkZJi76DaM9n67x3HaApUu1zjFUMwMk

I released 0.10, several bugs got erased.
-No fadeout effect for silect parts (dunno how I magaged to leave this in)
-At merging, it did not merge channel 4, typo were in code.
-At merging, I did corrected method so it won't add silent parts above music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got a chance to try and play around with this but I am a little lost in how exactly to get this to run in a batari basic program.  If output to assembly, would that file be used with an include?  I had tried using the the bB data using the music editor but couldnt figure it out.  Is there a preferred method of using this data?

 

(I am still a bit unpracticed with audio so there is a very good chance I am screwing up something simple. I only played around with it for about a half our last night so I'll try and sit down today on lunch with it. )

 

Edited by KevKelley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...