IGNORED

magic dead 800xl

Bikerbob

So last month I was getting my 1088xel working from the build, and I had an issue here and there, so I used bits from my 800xl - with u1mb, UAV.  Last night I wanted to loan it to a friend because he has a Soldered 800xl (Taiwan) board that we will have to yank out 3 chips to put in the above items. 

Went to turn it on.. power light on keyboard.. but nothing else.. NOTHING.. not a flash on the screen .. garbled anything.. nothing.  So subbed out the U1mb. no  Subbed out the UAV nothing. I would love some suggestions.

Power is getting to the board.. the keyboard pwr light is on.    I guess I will now use the 1088xel to sub out major chips into this one.. see if I broke something..   I put it away working fine.. sitting on a shelf.. something broke.

James

First of all, hopefully your power supply is not an Ingot. Verify it's putting out 5.0V, plus or minus .2 volts or so

Do you hear a click when pressing reset? (Yes = OS ROM likely good)

Which bits (3 chips?) did you use in your 1088XEL? If you put them back in the 1088XEL are they still functional? Then test the remaining main IC's from this bad machine one at a time in a known good machine. But it sounds like the remaining "good" machine is your friend's non-socketed one.

• Like 1

power supplies - 2 different used.. checked on 3 machines, so thats good.

No click.. no nothing.. 

So when I built my 1088xel I was having some issues (in the build thread) So to rule out things.. I subbed some of the main chips with this machine because well both are socketed. GTIA - CPU.. U1MB  even UAV.. 

When this machine went back together - it was tested all seemed good.. screws back in the case.. on to the shelf. First time out last night.. nothing. 

I am going to boot the 1088xel up again (not had a chance yet) - if thats all good.. then I will change out the GTIA first.. because I think NO video signal at all has got to be related. See where that gets me.

James

I am sure you have checked that the the video cable is connected to TV/monitor and tested with another device.

Actually, it happened to me once ?

Check monitor jack for broken traces.

Use the generic RC connector with (Ch2 -3).

Press START while turning the computer (cassette sound?)

If there is no sign of life or even a blink after that, then it is a mystery to me since you had already tried the U1MB and UV boards.

Good luck

madi

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Urchlay said:

> NO video signal at all

Is there audio? Without a drive attached, do you hear the SIO polling
"fart" noise? If you hold down Start, do you get the cassette boot
buzzer?

no.. there was not sound. - I did not try the Start buzzer.. I will see.. but not hopeful.

Edited by Bikerbob

3 hours ago, Madi said:

I am sure you have checked that the the video cable is connected to TV/monitor and tested with another device.

Actually, it happened to me once ?

Check monitor jack for broken traces.

Use the generic RC connector with (Ch2 -3).

Press START while turning the computer (cassette sound?)

If there is no sign of life or even a blink after that, then it is a mystery to me since you had already tried the U1MB and UV boards.

Good luck

madi

Thanks for the luck madi, looks like I am going to need it. GTIA was not the issue.. that was swapped out for the known good one in the 1088xel. 

James

44 minutes ago, Bikerbob said:

GTIA was not the issue.. that was swapped out for the known good one in the 1088xel. 

Your testing should involve placing IC's 1 at a time from the bad machine into the good machine, not the other way around. Less risk of the bad machine killing known good IC's...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 8:10 AM, Nezgar said:

First of all, hopefully your power supply is not an Ingot. Verify it's putting out 5.0V, plus or minus .2 volts or so

Do you hear a click when pressing reset? (Yes = OS ROM likely good)

Which bits (3 chips?) did you use in your 1088XEL? If you put them back in the 1088XEL are they still functional? Then test the remaining main IC's from this bad machine one at a time in a known good machine. But it sounds like the remaining "good" machine is your friend's non-socketed one.

I found the PSU list/naming conventions:

Now I wish I hadn't sold my XL with the white brick.   The top-center is the dreaded ingot of doom.

(I do have an Ingot. Ugh... either way, they should all be replaced by those USB adapter cables with 1.5A AC adapter anyway... none of these 30 year old PSUs is going to last forver...)

37 minutes ago, Stephen said:

"Shitty socket syndrome".

Absolutely what Stephen said. I wouldn’t suggest messing around with things any further but the next time it won’t boot (and there will likely be some day in a future month or year down the line), remove each chip and look very closely at the wipes for each socket under bright light and magnification. I would bet that at least some of those socket wipes are losing spring tension or show signs of corrosion.  

Edited by DrVenkman
Typo
  • Like 1