IGNORED

Season 9 ~ Week 12 ~ Polaris

Vocelli

First try: 3200

This is actually a very nice game. Will have to practice a lot more, though. The fast fighter air craft at the end of each side-view level is a bit tough. And the maze to level 3 had me with only one life left -- so I was surprised by those snowflakes... :)

EEEC2BB3-93CB-4052-8F0D-D41EE1CE9C37.jpeg

Edited by root42

Quick question: this title is extraordinarily susceptible to leeching. For example, I just got a score of over 1,000,000, and took a screenshot just before I rolled it and right before I suicided my last life, which means that there is absolutely no way to tell if leeched or even if I did, how much I leeched. Granted, this is just for fun and if people want to be lame and leech when others will not, I suppose that is their prerogative, however, it would violate the standing rule for the competition in that one person leeching while others do not gives the leecher an "unfair advantage". Thoughts? Is this something we wish to prevent and therefore ask people to make sure they take their photo with the "level" clearly displayed to confirm no leeching occurred, otherwise their score won't count? or, is it something that nobody cares about, because if it is the latter, Ill submit the rollover score since nobody cares about verification that a score wasn't leeched by showing the level which is on every screen after the game is over.

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

Quick question: this title is extraordinarily susceptible to leeching. For example, I just got a score of over 500,000, and took a screenshot just before I suicided my last life, which means that there is absolutely no way to tell if leeched or even if I did, how much I leeched. Granted, this is just for fun and if people want to be lame and leech when others will not, I suppose that is their prerogative, however, it would violate the standing rule for the competition in that one person leeching while others do not gives the leecher an "unfair advantage". Thoughts?

I've wondered about this myself as there were several other games where it was possibly to point leech.  I didn't just because I figured it wasn't allowed (most of these contests have something against it) but was that explicitly stated somewhere?  Has everyone else been doing it?  Am I fool for NOT doing it?

Then again, I suppose it all comes down to trust.  Anyone who uses an emulator instead of real hardware could easily be using save states too.  There's just no good way to know.

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I've wondered about this myself as there were several other games where it was possibly to point leech.  I didn't just because I figured it wasn't allowed (most of these contests have something against it) but was that explicitly stated somewhere?  Has everyone else been doing it?  Am I fool for NOT doing it?

Then again, I suppose it all comes down to trust.  Anyone who uses an emulator instead of real hardware could easily be using save states too.  There's just no good way to know.

Good points, all. I have two scores: 552K and 1.1 million (rollover). There is indeed a way to make sure leeching wasnt done, and that is to provide a pic of the score with the level displayed, as shown after a game is over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ZilchSr said:

Good points, all. I have two scores: 552K and 1.1 million (rollover). There is indeed a way to make sure leeching wasnt done, and that is to provide a pic of the score with the level displayed, as shown after a game is over.

I think, tho, if you die on a Plane/Sub screen, it doesn't display the level.

I haven't subbed on this either, I have over 100k, just wanted to see the number after I cracked it.

I'm thinking, with it exposed, this one should probably come down to endurance-it's still a challenging thing, playing a long time, so if someone wants to commit the time for a Million(...not me.), I think "go for it", but is just my opinion.

Mebbe this one should have been "levels completed", but again, hard to tell if the game ends on an airplane/sub board.

I'm willing to do whatever considered kosher, but have definitely waited this one out, I like tricking games, but definitely want to "play fair"-I'm NOT an incredible gamer, but was highly tickled with myself to outsmart this one-scores using this technique have been posted on the leaderboards already, so I dunno...

I still say the enemies are just slick enough to where Commando(probably one of the leechable titles Tempest mentioned)isn't as easy as it would seem, except to a really great gamer(as many actually are here).

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Not that I'm supporting point leeching, but that highlighted section doesn't imply that at all imho.

Interesting. I would have assumed that one of the core principles of leeching is that it inherently gives a player an unfair advantage over other players who don't leech, unfair advantages being prohibited by the rules. Perhaps it is simply a misconception of mine, but I am having a challenging time coming up with any instance of leeching being anything other than an "unfair advantage", unless of course everyone else has been informed that it is acceptable (Infiltrate is a good example of leeching being universally acceptable)

Edited by ZilchSr

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

I don't see it as an unfair advantage because anyone can do it.  It's more of a cheap move which are generally frowned upon.

... which frowning upon could not be done if there are no indicia in the evidence that leeching did occur, which such a potential could be avoided by posting a score without level displayed, no? That is literally the crux of my point. Do we as a community care or do we not care. If we generally don't care, then Ill post the rollover ... if we do care, then Ill post a different score that displays the level. It doesnt matter to me either way provided all are subject to the same standard. ;-)

Edited by ZilchSr
  • Like 1

amazingly, my first time playing this!

Regarding leeching, by staying in one place and slowly racking up points by not progressing...

This is usually not allowed I think.  But it has to be decided by the moderator on a case-by-case basis, as some games can be challenging enough either way.  In Time Pilot for example, it has been allowed by moderators in this HSC.

The last time Polaris was played here, the scores ranged on up to about 140,000 so apparently they weren't leeching for that.  I'm assuming we shouldn't be leeching.

If it were up to me I'd say no leeching for Polaris!  But no picture requirement, just trusting people to respect the rules.  That's just my suggestion, though, Vocelli must make the final decision about that.

Polaris (1B) [e] 8600.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gbag said:

This is hilarious....I wonder how many kids drowned playing in this thing....it says 2 kids fit inside...hahhhaha

On 11/4/2019 at 6:35 PM, Abel M'Vada said:

I need more practice. Can someone loan me $6.98?

2070865486_12bPolaris-Nuclear-Sub.thumb.jpg.d36c8631eae3256f8a577eded58ce7f7.jpg

Polaris: 9700

314843422_12Polaris9700.thumb.png.e39abb99a32d89febe3dea436a9b9990.png

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my mom after she found our rather sophisticated plans for building a submersible when I was in high school.  She told me under no circumstances would I be allowed to build a submarine.  I said, "well can we at least build an airplane?". She agreed.  I asked her why she would allow us to build an airplane but not a submarine and she said, "I believe you can sink".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Concerning leaching, I was not familiar with that term.  I am familiar with "farming".  I am not trying to be facitious, just trying to engage with the conversation and bring in more people.  I think it would be good to remember that there is a fuzzy or fine line between leaching/farming and just using repeatable patterns.  For example, I recently learned you can control where the black stallion appears in stampede.  This would certainly give me an advantage against some people, though my weak skills prevent too much advantage.  Sometimes there are safe spots, or tricks that score more points.  I think there is a difference between utilizing  a bug and understanding the programming.  I also think there is a difference between a mechanical process that garuntees success and staying in a lower difficulty level for as long as possible.  I also think that tactics that give a lot of points and are still dangerous mitigates the risk of something being cheating (like only attacking dive-bombing enemies in galaxian).  Rather than making a rule for all time, I think it is better to decide case by case.  If a person thinks they've found more of an exploit rather than a tactics, we can share what it was and let the community/Vocelii weigh in.  I think the transparency would be welcome and even interesting.

Edited by Novastar
  • Like 1

227,800....I got to a little over 100k when I realized the destroyer trick...then leached/farmed a little over 100k in about 30 minutes.....then the depth charge got me in my last life and killed me.  I think level number is a good scoring mechanic for this game...only problem is how do u get the picture if you die on the surface stage?  Or we just make an honor system.... no killing the destroyer.

C2801635-4974-4609-948E-24D57338D864.jpeg

Th leeching trick is...if you haven’t found it yet is leave one plane in the air...then just keep shooting the reappearing destroyer.  800 points each kill of destroyer... I believe this is more leaching than tactics.  Maybe as a group we can vote and with vocelli’s permission we make the scoring based on level.

Yeah that does sound rather mechanical.  Very little risk with the way the planes shoot.  Another way to keep the scores that have already come down is to just agree on a reasonable number of times the destroyer could be hit.  I was thinking 3 or so.  That would likely not negate most people' score but not allow people to get in an infinite loop.  Also, people that can maximize that part of the score would be welcome to try but they couldn't just camp there.  And now that I think of it, there is a new risk of accidentally killing a 4th and ruining your run.  I think levels would be the most pure, but I would hate to negate that miracle run somebody might already have had.

Edited by Novastar
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, S.BAZ said:

If it were up to me I'd say no leeching for Polaris!  But no picture requirement, just trusting people to respect the rules.  

I would say SBAZ said it best.(Quote Above)

You MUST progress in the game. (How fun is leeching/farming anyway?)

So, please no leeching but we need to trust in each other. Play Polaris like it suppose to be played.

If you post a very high score, having a pic of the level would be nice but not required. 

I don't want the HSC to be some technical/replay/accusing mess.

Have fun and don't leech/farm on Polaris.

• Like 4