IGNORED

Online drag & drop automagic downloads.

Omega-TI

I've noticed over the past couple of years that there are more and more websites that let you drag & drop a file from your PC to the website, where it instantly converts to whatever output is required and then seconds later you have the finished product your PC.  Imagine a website that takes TI BASIC or TI Extended BASIC files and instantly converts them to E/A5 or even cartridge BIN format.  I'd pony up a few bucks to use a site like that!

42 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

Go ahead and create such a site

You know full well I do not have the programming acumen for such a task.  So I'll assume you are just trying to start an argument. 

So I'm to assume making observations about other websites and how the same type of thing in relation to the TI is not wanted.  Got it

I think your idea would be possible for small size TIBASIC programs stored in VDP RAM. The website could create a cartridge file in the same way as it's possible to do in Classic 99. But I guess the interest in doing that would be limited.

For XB I assume you're talking about compiling XB, because I'm not aware of any way to put XB programs onto a cartridge (you would need two cartridge slots to run it).

The only compiler we have is the one developed by seniorfalcon, which is running on the TI, so the website would need to be able to run this on an emulator without supervision. Not impossible to do with Js99er, but probably quite error prone. And the compiler only works on programs that obey to the rules, e.g. integers only.

To be honest I don't think you would gain a lot from a website compared to using seniorfalcon's compiler directly on the TI, because he has already done a lot of work to make it simple and quick to use. If we had a cross XB->assembly compiler for modern computers it would be different. 

Please don't stop posting your ideas just because they are not always immediately possible. Maybe the result of this idea is that someone out there will start developing a cross compiler? ;-)

Edit: PS the drag and drop thing on the web is piece of cake. It's the creation of the cart that's the issue.

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 1