IGNORED

FLOP 64 - New Issue of the Floppy Disk Magazine

baktra

FLOP 64, the second issue published in 2019 is available.
Celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Atari 400/800 computers with our disk magazine.

Flop_64.png

To get more information and to download issue 64, visit FLOP's website.

Highlights of FLOP 64

Texts:

• Game reviews
  • MIST FPGA computer re-implementation and its Atari 800/5200 core
  • Technical articles on sound chips

Games:

• Space Arena 16K (40th anniversary gift for the Atari 400/800 computers with 4 joystick ports)
  • Imogen (port from BBC Micro/Acorn Electron)
  • Multi10 (3rd place at the ABBUC Software Contest 2019)

Content is available in both Czech and English.
FLOP is issued by Atari klub - spolek příznivců historické výpočetní techniky (Association of Historical Computing Enthusiasts).
The magazine deals with various topics related to the world of Atari 8-bit computers.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, andymanone said:

Btw: amazing Mag! Great job??!

Unfortunately, I´ve never heart heard about this before?

.....and I´m a part of the ATARI scene since 1986...

Gtx.,

andY

Thank you, andY

Better late than never ?

Well, issues 61 and later offer most of the content in English.

Before, the magazine was written just in Czech, so it was a sort of a local thing. Except the games, of course.

• Like 2

GREAT work, guys!

Just thanks for taking the time to put this double-anniversary edition!

Gotta love that road-motion + parallax intro (my favorite since the 1st version)... Just wonder what Pole-Position (and other similar titles) could have been with some reasonable compromises... 

The dedicated 400/800 title DOES run on 16K (!), and it is sort of an addictive dog-fight !!! :-)))

Bring'em on!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 8:21 PM, HardCore(BAHA) said:

You're welcome. 

And I wasn't disappointed at all with Imogen.

It is a game which reminds me of Head over Heels, in that you have more than one character and you have to work your way through the game. The puzzles are very well constructed and it is great to see a game on the Atari with on-screen items that are usable, not just part of the background.

It is pretty much a one-to-one conversion (as far as I know), apart from the music/intro at the start. I am very pleased to see this on the Atari 8-bit, thank you so much for porting this.

p.s. If anyone gets stuck on the puzzles, there are YouTube videos that you can refer to.

Edited by snicklin
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Ooops, that was too easy: Grab that sparkling stuff, transform to magician, choose the symbol at the top right (with OPTION). Then the magician has it active and hitting Fire ends the level.

What is actually your question? No eggs involved here...

To get that sparkling stuff: Go to the bottom left, transform into cat to jump on that ball, then transform into ape and climb up the rope to the top, then jump right to the small rope on the rail and get to the right side of the screen. Now turn around, so that you look to the left, climb the rope to the top, jump to the small rope and when on the left, jump to the long rope and then left again to the sparkling stuff.

Not too hard, only challenge is, that one can only jump into the direction the ape is looking to.

• Like 1

Sorry the screenshot was NOT from my go, just for others to enjoy!

I'm really at the start of the game, first two screens and can't jump up the step to get out of them :D

(Probably not a good thing for a game as really it should be more obvious and it may have got shelved after one go).

11 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Sorry the screenshot was NOT from my go, just for others to enjoy!

I'm really at the start of the game, first two screens and can't jump up the step to get out of them :D

(Probably not a good thing for a game as really it should be more obvious and it may have got shelved after one go).

There is no thing like "first" two screens. There are several screens and those are played in random order! To make sure, which level you are talking about, go to the exclamation mark (OPTION/SELECT) and hit START. It´ll show you the name of the current level and a password.

And...

...RTFM ;) On the Flop magazine there is a small introduction about this.

• Haha 2

ok I didn't realise it had random level order - but it had a step that was slightly higher than the other side and I could't jump high enough, I tried 3 creatures, run-ups etc... there was nothing else to do so it must have been the right way (it had ropes and eggs* and nests?)

I've tried about 20 reloads on emulator (can't find an in game abort key) and not got that level since!

*I guess they are acorns and not eggs as it's not an eggsoft game (bet they exist) but what about the nests then eh?!