IGNORED

Deepening of the RF to AV converter tested with various intellivision.

MauAnouk2012

Also, I ordered one of the Channel Tuners mention above and one of these cables for the unique RF connection to use a PAL Atari 800xl on an NTSC/PAL PVM Monitor with no channel tuner. If it works, I may get another for my Intellivision.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RG316-RCA-FEMALE-to-DVB-TV-Pal-Male-Coax-RF-Cable-USA-Ship/143353457772?

I've got one now too and have used it with a 42inch pal lcd. I can say the pictures quality is less than an av modded intellivision however, it is far better than I ever achieved with rf only or rf to a VCR.

Is it worth changing the menu language from Chinese to English as I have it working already?

2 hours ago, Bamse said:

I've got one now too and have used it with a 42inch pal lcd. I can say the pictures quality is less than an av modded intellivision however, it is far better than I ever achieved with rf only or rf to a VCR.

Is it worth changing the menu language from Chinese to English as I have it working already?

That’s encouraging. It looks like 50% of reviews on Amazon got one that didn’t work or quickly failed, although the unfortunate are more likely to post a review ( which is why eBay model is so bizarre). 

On 1/16/2020 at 3:36 AM, Swami said:

If that video doesn't work for you, like it doesn't work for me, I think this one with the 2600 shows the same effect of the low price NTSC to PAL to NTSC converter.

There is another video with the MUCH more expensive and rare NTSC to PAL to NTSC converter:

Thanks for your time and dedicating this to another test.

Your result is what I imagined. The converter of a few Euros / Dollars obviously does not use an electronic circuit that acquires and processes the signal "seriously."  ??

I got mine, but it came with no instructions. Tried it out on my UK PAL-I Atari 800XL. Managed to set it to PAL-I, as I got the setting itself to change to English, but not the options. At first the channel would only change from 1 to 9. Then I did something with the channel in menu that changed it to 36, which is supposed to be the ouput channel for UK 800XL. Then the channels would change from 1 to over 40 in the normal channel display. But got no signal at CH36. Tried doing a search in PAL-I and then it got stuck on channel 1 with very poor signal. Tried searching other regions, but kept getting stuck on CH1 and no longer able to change up or down, but could put in 1-9 manually, but nothing above 9. Then I checked this thread a couple more times and figured out how to change everything to English. Then, eventually found the manual tuner and checking the Atari computer section here found the UK 800XL uses 591 to 597 MHz, so tried a couple spots in there and, viola: PAL 50Hz program running with PAL 800XL on 50/60Hz monitor:

Beautiful! Light gun works, too, which does not happen with even with the professional Altona PAL to NTSC converter shown in the video in the post above.

I'll try the Intellivision next.

One other thing, I noticed with the searches the frequency would slow down and sometimes briefly stop between 590 to 610 MHz, but would then stick me with a very snowy CH1. :?

image1 (4).jpeg

So, I was playing around with this yesterday. On my Pal UK intellivision, none of the 250 channela are apparently the correct frequency to receive a picture, I have to auto scan and it funds the signal after 800mhz. Picture there is good but if I turned off the intellivision, even for a moment it loses the signal and I haven't to retune.

Does anyone know if its possible to store it once it's tuned in?

Edited by Bamse

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2019 at 10:58 AM, First Spear said:

Thank you for sharing this info!

What is the name of the antenna cable type? It is not the typical USA RF coax type. Thanks.

image.thumb.png.4a2b1c2a0f2ffaa211c4b6b9efa1ff17.png

Having this unit, as well as I also own its sister unit, the RF-to-HDMI analog converter, that is a PAL antenna jack. But, it should work with an RCA-to-PAL plug adapter through you existing game cord, in which you would have an RCA plug on it, the only difference in compatibility is the jack itself, not the video signal output, but since I own one I might as well try it out again and use the "M" mode for NTSC and see what happens this time around. Thanks. :) 

BTW, my review of the RF-to-HDMI converter is right here on my Ray Jackson YouTube channel, so take a look: :) 

Links to getting that RCA-to-PAL plug adapter for this particular device is right here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-PAL-IEC-Male-to-RCA-Female-Connector-USA-Seller/231190947531?hash=item35d40de6cb%3Ag%3A~gIAAOSwi4pa73mk

Edited by BIGHMW
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

I own this long wanted rf to av convertor but Does anybody know how to store a channel on it???

Because once i hit the search button on channel 1 it eventually found the signal from the atari 7800 above frequency 800 and after hitting the SYS button a multiple times i do get sound too,

HOWEVER, sometimes when i turn off the atari 7800 to swap for another game,the selected channel is gone,thus forcing me to hit the search and system button all over again,

and when i was planning to store the signal of the colecovision on channel 2,i got the same problem that it does not store it permanently,

i readed the manual but it seems to make no sense as i only readed stuff about timers and locking a channel,and despite it says that you can store 255 channel on it,but no single word about how to save a channel,i looked at all other buttons but it makes no sense and even worse the menu appears to be japaneese(how do i set it into english????,i also wonder if that usb input is also optionally for firmware updates?? 

but my main question remains,how to save a channel on it???

thanks alot.

For everybody claiming that this rf to av convertor is. Ompatible with both pal and ntsc signals,well that’s not true because i had to choose between the pal,ntsc or the secsm version of it instead,(obviously) and so i bought the ntsc version of it for the ntsc atari 5200,atari 7800 and the colecovision,it indeed works with those systems but i also tested it on a pal nes (i first checked if there was no blinking screen trough composite to see if the game did get’s displayed)

once done i then used rf out and after searching it did not found any signal at all,so i assume it’s only for ntsc systems,despite it does have the system button to select the coded audio from your region,mmm pretty weird,

it makes me wonder why even ntsc signald seems to have different coded audio formats as why i have to search manually for the right audio format after finding the. channel,why i couldn’t do that automatically as it can and will confuse me overtimes,

also some (onyoutube) do claim that if you set your atari consoles to channels 1,2,3 or 4 and set the tv to one of those corresponding channels ,that you will get immediately a signal from those atari systems or from whatever system,well i tryed just that,i did set my atari 7800 to channel 3 and set the tv tuner inside this convertor to channel 3,well NOPE i did not get any signal,i tryed to set both the atari 7800 and to tv tuner to channel 1,but again as expected i got no signal,

but what really bothers me is that so far i see no instruction or button to save the signal i want,thus so far,everytime i want to play atari 7800 or colecovision games,i have to hit the search button and system button from whether channel all over again,also the menu seems to be in japanese or chinese,so that doesn’t help either,mmmm

On 1/16/2020 at 11:04 PM, Swami said:

That’s encouraging. It looks like 50% of reviews on Amazon got one that didn’t work or quickly failed, although the unfortunate are more likely to post a review ( which is why eBay model is so bizarre). 

The problem is that even those ntsc versions just contain a pal coaxial plug ,the only solution is to buy a male to v male composite like to coaxial plug wich i do own,it works well with my atari 7800 and i no longer need that clunky rf adaptor,i feel bad for those americans who don’t realize this,now if only that company included a ntsc to pal male coaxial plug to add less confusion and to make up for this,that would,ve helped them alooot,only too bad it’s 16 years waaaay too late for me because in 2006 i bought a nes toploader but i didn’t wanted to buy a bulky vcr deck so in 2009 i finally decided to let my nes 2 getting modded with av out,BUT i regretted somewhat because one push makes against the nes will distord the video signal and those straps or still there but the worst thing is that modder did disabled the rf output without telling it me,so now i can no longer use the rf out ,that would,ve been hando for playing and recording stuff and for testing it with this rf to av convertor ,man if there was just such small rf to av adaptor back in 2006 ,then i definitely would,ve bought one and never let modding my nes2 with av output among it’s unintended flaws☹️