IGNORED

Star Vagrant ATARI XL/XE game

MADRAFi

The ED (130k) disk image of Star Vagrant uses english language.

Besides, I was able to put both the intro + main program (english/EN) of Star Vagrant V1.5 onto the 130k disk image by packing the main program (StarV.XEX) only. After that I moved the Intro.XEX file and the Xautorun file (which loads the intro) from the 180k EN version onto the 130k disk, booted it and it looks to work fine... try it yourself with Exomizer, if you want. -No guarantees however!-

• Like 2

I'm a total Atari 8-bit noob.  So I don't know much about enhanced density, or possibly common acronyms found in file names. Or significance of file disk image sizes. 

Too much of the 8-bit Atari stuff comes on nicely self booting disks or disk images, or just a .xex file, so in my few months with the system I haven't been exposed enough. 

I'll stick with letting the Exomizer advice be taken up by @MADRAFi if he wants to pack the intro into future ehanced density disks.  Otherwise, I'd just recommend a MANIFEST or README in the zip explaining a little bit about what each of the files are and their significance. Repeated exposure to mechanisms like that help a noob like me figure out what set of terms they need to add to their vocabulary.

@MADRAFi The game is just what I need to relax. Thanks for the continued updates it definitely plays better at version 1.5. 

-M@

@jedimatt42 - I agree with your decision to wait to see if MADRAFi does it. I tried @CharlieChaplin’s solution, but it didn’t work for me. I don’t know if the files have to be set up in a certain way, but my compressed binary crashed when I exited the intro. 

On a somewhat unrelated topic, you might find this FAQ useful. 

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/

I’m sure other members would have other ideas (like the newbie topic here at AtariAge), but it might be helpful to you. 

I was fortunate to have a retro computer group near me in Chicago (when I used to live there) that helped me with some of this info since I owned an Apple II+ BITD. 

Bob C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I have big news.

I have updated game to version 1.6. It is no longer using DD floppies.

Notable changes:

1. Game has now ending, you can finish it :)

2. There is a max UEC implemented and all issues with money should be fixed

3. There were price changes for ships

4. Incorrect path between 2 locations removed

5. Increased chance to change ship price

6. Cargo sell price fix

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Philsan said:

I can confirm that latest 1.6 version works on my stock 1050 disk drive!

So it looks like our fight is over ?!?

You (and your standard 1050 disk drive) were the reason I created this 130k disk image with intro and main game. Evil as I am, I showed this 130k image (with packed main game) to Madrafi and now we have an even better solution - update V1.6...

Have not seen or found the easter egg yet.

Mad idea 1: Maybe it was the strange thing I found in version 1.4: When I sold all my cargo at Area 64 and then returned to Port Alistair, a thief appeared and I was told that he stole all my money. So, normally I should have been left with no cargo and no money (and the smallest ship, C35-Osprey) which is more or less equal to Game Over. But to my surprise, when I arrived at Port Alistair -abracadabra- the cargo I had already sold was there again (but money was indeed zero UEC)... ;-)

Completely mad idea 2: One could play the game (up to V1.5) with using StarV.XEX only. The game played without gfx then, no load+save feature - but therefore it played much faster... ;-)

Mad idea 3: There is a warpdrive (or another happyspeedy-usdoubler-drive) hidden somewhere, so you can reach the far away locations much faster. And maybe a death star that can be blown up (again and again, since they always re-built it). And a dragon hidden in an old ancient castle that is guarding a huge treasure (and one of the treasure chests contains a ring, to rule them all)...  ;-)

Now on with testing update V1.6...

• Thanks 1

No, Easter Egg is more fun stuff.

As for the issue you have reported. I do no know why it would be even possible. Code where Bandits robe you does not touch cargo at all.

This tells me you thought you sold your cargo but it was still there (there is no way of checking this now).

Trade console operates on temporary balance and cargo., you can cancel all operations. When you press BACK it saves the state. I do not see where that change would happen.

No need to get grey hair over this, since it was the old version 1.4...

The thieves did not steal my cargo, they stole all my money (that's what the info-screen said) ! But, I had just sold all my cargo before that happened and so I would have been left with zero cargo and zero money... (if it should ever happen again, that the thieves steal all my money, I will make a photo)...

Anyways, can't wait to play + test the new update V1.6 and finally see the ending. I really like the gameplay and the nice music ! Normally I switch off the music (or mute the tv-speaker) when I play an A8 game for several hours, but in this game the music was playing all the time. The gfx also give a nice touch to the game (as said before, one could have played without gfx, but it is much nicer with gfx available) and the game is simply relaxed (e.g. limited number of locations and limited number of available spaceships) NOT overly complicated, filled with hundreds of planets and thousands of items, like some other (space) economy simulations...

I look forward to finally playing Star Vagrant. From CharlieChaplin’s description, it has more depth than I expected. 

@MADRAFi It may seem weird since I own the game, but has the demo between updated since 1.0? I think it is the type of game my old Atari user group would enjoy, but I do not expect them to buy it for a demo. 

Since it would only be a 45 minute demo, I think 1.0 might be good enough. 

Would it be acceptable for me to given them a copy of the manual and map so they know how to play the game? I don’t remember if the demo includes the manual and map or not. 

Bob C

Edited by darwinmac

Yes, demo is being updated everytime. I know it shows SV 2019 edition but since December it has changed from version 1.1 to 1.6 :)

Demo is just a ATR.

Digital copy contains the same physical copy have but in digitized form.

With your bought copy you can do whatever you wish.

Just a reminder. Demo has only 3 ships available and 12 locations. It has much lower winning conditions and as some locations are missing you may not experience pirates at all :)

Edited by MADRAFi

That’s good to know. I knew the demo would not have the features of the purchased version. Otherwise, no one would buy the full version. 

I just wanted the user group members to get an idea of the gameplay. For those who have the extra money, the digital version is very affordable. 

Bob C

Well my little issue on possibly missing out on this run has been sorted by a generous friend and member here. I won't say who unless they OK it or say for themselves. But the game is on it's way to me! So no need for me to order...wow, just wow. The generosity of some in this community is out-of-sight!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3