IGNORED

UNEARTHED! Another rare ad for the XEGS!

ZippyRedPlumber

3 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

Not seen that one before, in fact until I joined this forum, I had never heard of the XEGS, did it ever get released in the UK ?

I think, in the last days of ATARI, there was a lot of XEGS offered in europe....

I saw this XEGS in a couple of computer shops in germany in 1991/1992...

The price at that time was approximately 299,00 DM (Deutsche Mark)  (nearly 150€)

Gtx.,

andY

That's a new one to me. I remember seeing a couple of the early XEGS commercials. like the one with the presidents of publishing companies "testing it out." But there were two periods in my life when I watched no TV and would have missed it: 1988-1990, 1992-1999. I had more interesting things going on in my life. First time, I was "on the road" after high-school, Jack Kerouac style, the second time period was my college and California surfer days.

Edited by Gunstar

18 hours ago, andymanone said:

I think, in the last days of ATARI, there was a lot of XEGS offered in europe....

I saw this XEGS in a couple of computer shops in germany in 1991/1992...

The price at that time was approximately 299,00 DM (Deutsche Mark)  (nearly 150€)

Gtx.,

andY

I think I may have missed it because I had already moved the the ST (still got 2 of those also :))

I think I remember seeing an ad for an XEGS once on TV around Christmas and wondering what (and why) it was. The only place it ever 'showed up' in my home town was in the sears catalog,. and much later at a local Kaybee as a clearance item. Eventually, I bought one from this guy in a nearby town who was an Atari fan and ran a secondary Atari PC business behind his dentist's office. Back then, I thought it was very odd. I had an 800, wanted an XL, and compromised with an XEGS... which promptly sent me back to using the 800.

These days, I thank the gods it existed just for the great library of cart games it got us.

15 hours ago, Lord Thag said:

These days, I thank the gods it existed just for the great library of cart games it got us.

I have the same exact sentiment, since I already owned the 130XE, I had no interest or need for an XEGS, but I was glad of the new cart games since new Atari software was becoming so rare. And of course the light-gun, but I ended up modifying a Sega Master System light gun I found cheap used, to use with Crime Busters on the XE and Crossbow on my 7800. I like the detachable keyboard, but half the memory and the ugly, big, round, pastel colored buttons and the angled cartridge turned me off from ever considering it, it was no upgrade for me and I didn't want a computer that looked like a toy console. They should have made the XEGS to look like the Mega ST, Maybe even call it the Mega XE or Mega XEGS, but with a cartridge slot on top similar to the 800XL and give it at least 128K, if not double that. If they had done that, I would have sold my 130XE and bought one. I would have preferred the cartridge slot to remain in the same position as the ST cartridge slot was on the Mega ST (so a monitor could sit on top and not block the cart port), but I know they were trying to sell it as a console too, and who ever heard of a console with the cartridge slot on the side or back? So that I would have accepted on top.

Edited by Gunstar