IGNORED

Cedar Point Arcade Auction

emerson

1 minute ago, AtariBrian said:

Probably want to get rid of the arcade for another ride. I doubt the arcade gets many people anymore. Last time I was there many of the machines were out of order. Which has been the case for years.

These new Ohio regulations probably aren't helping:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2018/02/skill_games_to_be_regulated_by.html

Isn't that main arcade in a historical building they also use for other things?  I wonder if they would or even could tear that building down. 

..Al

I was just there a few weeks ago and all the older stuff is gone from the arcade. Absolutely breaks my heart.   I remember back in the 80s not only did they have the huge arcade with literally hundreds of great machines, but they had smaller arcades sprinkled through the park with great stuff. Now nothing but the same stuff you find at Dave and Busters. 

Not only that but for any of you you familiar with Cedar Point (I’ve been going at least once a year for 48 years now) the contents of the town hall museum are in the same auction. They’ve cleared out the museum and promise something special but I have my doubts.  

Probably going to demolish what is left of the old parts of the park for yet another monster roller coaster. I was only to Cedar Point once in 1996 for a high school trip and since I am not into high, fast rides or waiting in line for hours, I found it to be boring and over-rated. The arcade was fun and at least they are trying to sell stuff instead of just tossing it into the landfill like most corporations. One has to wonder when the sun will finally set on Cedar Point like so many of Ohio's other parks over the years. So far it's going strong, but just how far can they push things at that location?

I'll continue visiting as long as they keep building new coasters and continue maintaining their existing fleet of coasters.  Went there two years ago and we had two nights of ERT (Exclusive Ride Time) on Steel Vengeance, an hour each time, and it was absolutely fantastic.  And one hour of ERT on Maverick as well.  And did the Sunrise tour of Valravn, which was also amazing...  

It is sad to see them abandon their classic arcade, but ever since I started going there (in 1989, which was the year Magnum XL-200 opened), the arcade was already waning and I never spent much time in there.  Was popular when it rained, though!

..Al

Bleah, leave it to my lousy state to muddy the waters for arcade games. Estimating $500,000 a year from the licenses? Heh, they probably won't see a fraction of that as operators just give up and close their doors for good.

Those videos are interesting and show another issue with modern amusement parks. With how easily we humans get bored with things anymore they have to practically be a new park every year and with the high prices of everything, including food they are really only good for a once in a while trip at best. There WERE areas I liked at Cedar Point, but they might be all gone now and it seems if you find something you really like one year, there is a good chance it will be gone by the next. More power to them to keep going and I hope they do for a long time, but I seem to be at a stage where one of the deceased parks like Chippewa and Myers Lake would be more my speed. A place to go with friends at a moments notice and just enjoy things in a more casual way with a pay as you go type of setup.