IGNORED

Atari 1050 Drive - Think I made it worse...

Toby Rieper

2 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

Atari_1050_Disk_Drive_Sams_Computerfacts_Technical_Service.pdf 42.21 MB · 2 downloads

1050FSM-Rebuilt - AKH.pdf 28.43 MB · 2 downloads

please see the 2x attachments. interestingly, they give different part numbers for these diodes (CR15 & CR16) but that means you have a choice! ?

both diodes are the same and you can use either 1N5392 or 1N4001.

i would advise you install them long-legged style as atari did originally.

can you see any other evidence of someone else's repairs? its always my first port of call for a dysfunctional item

Thanks so much! The old ones were covered in goop. They still have me a .5 voltage drop reading on my multimeter though. Last night I changed all the old caps and soldered in new voltage regulators all nicely. No, apart from the OO track sensor replacement everything looks stock. Will upload pics when I've installed the diodes.  :D thanks for the attachments , I sure hope I can sort this out. 

1N4001 sounds good. atari only use goo on the big caps, just so they are physically stabilised due to their size. the diodes dont get any goo due to the heat issue.

now, to use the ATR file when your drive wont boot requires a bit of jiggery-pokery...

if you have a 2nd drive, record a diag disk with that or you can use an SIO2USB device and a drive emulator. i use AspeQT.

load the diag disk using either of the above and have the faulty drive also connected as D1 but turned off.

when the diag software is loaded, switch off the good drive / disable the drive emulator and power up the faulty drive with a compatible disk in. i use dos 2.5.

then you can run the diag on the faulty drive and use it to do the calibration. (the atari is unaware that you booted with another device hehe)

9 hours ago, xrbrevin said:

i would advise you install them long-legged style as atari did originally.

Hmm. I would also recommend this if they need replacing, but I've had over a dozen drives open in the last couple years and don't recall seeing the diodes raised like that in any of them. To me, it would seem they were close to the motherboard originally from the factory, and your raised diode picture looks like something someone did afterwards...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Hmm. I would also recommend this if they need replacing, but I've had over a dozen drives open in the last couple years and don't recall seeing the diodes raised like that in any of them. To me, it would seem they were close to the motherboard originally from the factory, and your raised diode picture looks like something someone did afterwards...

It's a well advised, late production run factory mod that will prevent burning the board under those two diodes if the load on the 12 volt supply side goes out of bounds for some nefarious reason we can't predict. I have a board burnt in two right there so my vote is to retrofit them long legged style while you still have something to solder the ends of the leads too.

They run about 10% with the long leads here, of course YMMV. And only one with horrible results IIRC.

3 hours ago, 1050 said:

It's a well advised, late production run factory mod that will prevent burning the board under those two diodes if the load on the 12 volt supply side goes out of bounds for some nefarious reason we can't predict. I have a board burnt in two right there so my vote is to retrofit them long legged style while you still have something to solder the ends of the leads too.

They run about 10% with the long leads here, of course YMMV. And only one with horrible results IIRC.

Not even having thought about this before and now doubting myself, I just eyeballed 17 1050's "through the vents" - found all but 2 were directly against the PCB. One had the 2 diodes floating approx 5mm above the PCB, and the other had long leads, but it looks like it was pushed back down to 5mm, picutred below. This PCB is marked 188056 Rev D1 / 188059 H1. Interestingly, the WST / Hong Kong drives seemed to have used "fatter" diodes, but are still against the PCB.

So I guess this is still in line with your 10% estimate...

1050diodes.jpg

• Like 1