IGNORED

Sideport SAMS?

jrhodes

Personally, I have considered something that sits UNDER the 99 (like a pedestal), with a pass-through on the sidecar port.

That would give you plenty of board real-estate.  (One of the objections to a sidecar SAMS, was that the board would be prohibitively large.  FarmerPotato took it as a personal challenge, and did a quick and dirty PCB CAD mockup showing it could be done in a suitably small package if more modern SMD components were used. However, the objection was that such a device would not be hobbyist DIY friendly.)

For the "pedestal" idea, I was thinking a combination of an 80col adapter, a SAMS, a speech, an RS232 and centronics port, and possibly an FDC, with a sidecar passthrough.

(Picture: about 3/4 to 1" thick, it sits beneath the TI, with a plastic "Wall" that is about the same thickness on the right-hand side. This has the "TI Shoe" shape, and mates up with the side of the TI, and is where the sidecar port is. Said sidecar port is a "T" branch, with the leg of the T fed into the pedestal, and the rightmost side terminating in another sidecar connector. On the back, it has a graphics out for 80col, an RS232, and a centronics port. In the space occupied by the pedestal's thickness on the sidecar side, there is an FDC connector behind a "kick-out" door.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I would like to see a SAMS memory card designed to go on the side port in place of the 32k, and still have the ability to connect the TIPI to it.

A setup of TI > FG99 > Speech > SAMS > TIPI , without needing a PEB would be awsome.

At the Chicago Faire (2-Nov-2019), Klaus (kl99) gave a report on the recent TI Treff. He said that ralphb (creator of FlashROM, FinalGROM) brought his sidecar SSD99 which unfortunately broke down before the demo. It will provide 1MB SAMS as well as the usual functions.

I don't know if Ralph has the further expansion connector planned, or if  so whether it might be a 44-pin card edge or 40-pin JediMatt42 connector (for TiPi).

I was in process of installing a standard 1MB SAMS in an old TI-99/4 side car.  I haven't finished it due to hands and fingers that are no longer capable of soldering, at any size (SMT or otherwise!!!)!  At the time I started this project it was aimed at my CF7A+ & 3 NanoPEB systems, rather than TIPI.

So for me, any such product using SMT, would have to be a finished product; but for the TI community, I do give it two thumbs up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2019 at 7:00 PM, adamantyr said:

Erik Piehl's TinyPEB was looking good, but I think he's set that aside for now. His Icy99 FPGA project could actually fit the bill if if set up with a SAMS approach. (Albeit only 256k).

I actually sent him the game files for my CRPG to test on the TinyPEB and it worked just fine. :)

Yes it's been a bit on the side. I use the tinypeb with my TI-99/4A whenever I use the actual hardware. I think I have around 7 unpopulated PCBs laying around, as hand assembling the SMD stuff takes a good while. I haven't measured but I believe it takes me around 4 hours to do all the soldering on one of these.

There are two issues with the design: the CPLD chip I choose turned out to be too modest, making it hard to fit everything in. I did manage to get it working with 256K SAMS, and this doesn't seem to be what people want, but rather the full 1MB. I've made progress with the Icy99, so more to come. 

• Like 4

Yea my support originally for the AMS card (later called SAMS) was for the 128K card, then 256K, then 512K,  then finally the 1024K, but wait now a 2 meg card.

All of my routines are pretty much based around the 512K card, but look forward to the 2 meg card support.

Example is RXB using over 480K to do my game IN THE DARK.

• Like 1

Other than footprint, is there any particular reason that a sidecar 1MB SAMS with a passthrough header (just like Matt's 32k) couldn't be made to work with a TIPI?

I'm thinking about Adamantyr's new game and getting it in the hands of as many people as possible.  I bought a SAMS and a TIPIPEB to play it--- but for those in our community who prefer FG99s and nanoPEBs (small footprint systems), Realms of Antiquity will be out of reach, except through emulation. 

Edited by Opry99er

3 hours ago, RXB said:

Well by a mile Emulation is the smallest footprint possible.

Of course.... but what's the fun of you can't run it on real gear?  That's why SAMS cards are made, FG99s, TIPI, RAMDisks, etc are in high demand.  :) 

I use emulation a ton... but we're emulating a machine, and anything we can do to make software available on real gear is a win.  I have a feeling SAMS will become more of a platform going forward... which opens doors for RXB.  I know I'm considering using RXB for my RPG... now that I have a physics SAMS card.  I could easily load every map and every variable in my game on a 1MB SAMS card with room to spare.  If our sidecar people had a SAMS unit, it would make SAMS software much more accessible.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 10:11 AM, Opry99er said:

Other than footprint, is there any particular reason that a sidecar 1MB SAMS with a passthrough header (just like Matt's 32k) couldn't be made to work with a TIPI?

I'm thinking about Adamantyr's new game and getting it in the hands of as many people as possible.  I bought a SAMS and a TIPIPEB to play it--- but for those in our community who prefer FG99s and nanoPEBs (small footprint systems), Realms of Antiquity will be out of reach, except through emulation. 

Like this?

SAMSCar-100x70.thumb.PNG.ca25605317925d1d0cf19aa6f530f5a0.PNG

• 2x512K SRAM (can use 1 or 2)
  • All through-hole components, for accessible kit
  • 70 x 100 mm PCB (JediMatt42 32K is 56 x 78 mm) (NanoPEB is 75 x 75 mm)
  • Pass-thru header for TIPI
  • Fully compatible with SAMS. Powers up as simple 32K expansion
  • 7.5V input jack with 7805 voltage regulator
  • LEDs for power and for AMS activated
  • No buffer chips except on data bus
  • Open source hardware and PLD equations
  • PLD must be programmed using TL866 or similar (pre-programmed for kit)
  • Low price point target for kit

• Like 11

4 hours ago, retroclouds said:

What would it take to map some of the memory in the >4000 area so you could load and "bankswitch" your own DSR in there?

Would allow for some quite interesting experiments (e.g. ramdisk lite)

Thierry described this in his “HyperAMS” extension. 

it can be done in a compatible way by enabling the >4000 bank as RAM when the CRU bit 0 is set and arbitrating between register writes to the >5000 bank. 

In the power-up configuration where bank >4 maps to page >4, however, there is a chance of the startup routine finding the DSR there. Bug or feature?

RESET will turn off AMS but prior Settings come back when AMS is enabled again, if they are not rewritten.

Here's the PLD schematic. There is 1 output left over (I/O1)  for another CRU bit storage, output, or input. The CRU base is hardcoded at >1E00. I skip the comparator IC and DIP switches.

SamscarPLD.thumb.PNG.3ffda3da32dd1ad623712d0b714a8873.PNG

• Like 3

Any thoughts on some power options on a sidecar?

1. 7.5VDC barrel jack in with voltage regulator

I don't think the lack of regulator on NanoPEBs has been a good idea.

2. That said, JediMatt42's 32K doesn't have a regulator, and takes 5V DC in.

3. Optional MicroUSB 5V jack. When you know your 5V supply is clean, bypass the regulator.

Enough people have failed to plug the correct sort of power into the sideport 32k, that I'd recommend a safety over cost solution.

I don't know if that is also possible with a 5v source.  5v is very convenient.

People tend to think a barrel jack fitting has some significance. Sadly it doesn't work that way in practice.

-M@

• Like 2

The issue is "So, I must add yet ANOTHER DC power plug to my power strip?"

I am rather fond of the idea of having what is essentially a passthrough car, except 5v line is terminated, and replaced with a 5v source generated in the car. The car has a voltage regulator, and accepts a higher input voltage. (Say 7.5v, 9v, or 12v? Maybe be multi-voltage tolerant?) 

The whole idea is to be the single point where regulated 5v is provided, and do so for hungrier devices.  That way you do not need multiple wall warts.  We terminate the line from the 99/4A so that we do not damage the motherboard.

DC Barrel connector tends to be more rigid/mechanically stable than micro USB.  Especially if you are plugging and replugging, the durability of the connector is important.

Edited by wierd_w

4 hours ago, wierd_w said:

The issue is "So, I must add yet ANOTHER DC power plug to my power strip?"

I am rather fond of the idea of having what is essentially a passthrough car, except 5v line is terminated, and replaced with a 5v source generated in the car. The car has a voltage regulator, and accepts a higher input voltage. (Say 7.5v, 9v, or 12v? Maybe be multi-voltage tolerant?) 

JediMatt42 32k already works that way. This thing is the same idea.  The use case for this design is low-cost 1M memory + TiPi. Already the TiPi is powered from JediMatt42's 32k so you only need one wall wart. 

By definition, a voltage regulator tolerates higher input voltages. The 7805 will be good for up to 25V and 1A, but 7.5V is the minimum. If you only use 300mA, the voltage drop from 7.5 to 5V  generates 2.5*.3 = .75 watts as heat which seems reasonable. Higher input voltage or current = more heat, but still 5V out. If you really want to put in 12V, you can add a heat sink, but it might not fit with a TiPi next door. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I think even 2W is ok.

VCC from the side port was only intended to power the speech synthesizer, which does not pass it thru. The rating is only 50mA on that line anyway, but that doesn't keep people from trying.

So, there is only one wall wart needed in this set-up, but if you prefer, you could use your micro-USB power source, which might be a very stable battery! it's only 44 cents more, and it has 4 mounting holes for rigidity (I learned the hard way what a difference that makes, with a PS4 HDMI fixit job.) It is however a surface mount device (thru-hole are scarce) but that's a reasonable tradeoff for a kit that sticks to all thru-hole, socketed components. Those who don't want to/can't solder 1 surface mount contact, they always have the barrel jack.

And as a third option, it could have two bypass pins with which to connect 5V power from a RasPi (I forgot that was another wall wart.)

This turns out not to be an easy PCB for me. After I made the pretty picture above, I realized I had to tear it all up and start over. But that's how it goes.

15 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Enough people have failed to plug the correct sort of power into the sideport 32k, that I'd recommend a safety over cost solution.

I don't know if that is also possible with a 5v source.  5v is very convenient.

People tend to think a barrel jack fitting has some significance. Sadly it doesn't work that way in practice.

-M@

If I could tell you how many times I have told friends and relatives this... I always tell them. "Yes it fits. That's good, but is the voltage and amperage right?"

*Poof Magic Smoke*

1 hour ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

If I could tell you how many times I have told friends and relatives this... I always tell them. "Yes it fits. That's good, but is the voltage and amperage right?"

*Poof Magic Smoke*

I sell Magic Smoke refill kits. $20 each. ;-)

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2