IGNORED

Sideport SAMS?

jrhodes

23 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Well I have to second all that, I mean shoot, for the location of the NanoPeb, and I Know nothing about design, BUT it seems so obvious that adding a through bus to that Nano adding SAMS in between with Tipi at the end doesn't that make more sense?

Is there any possibility to disable NanoPEB internal 32k rampack ?

Other way it will collide with SAMS

BTW, prototype boards are ordered and will be delivered to my place 10th february.

If the pcb will pass the tests first 10 SAMS will be available at arcadeshopper.com

@HOME AUTOMATION noise and current drop depends what type of diode you will use for the protection. I've updated gerbers of prototype by placing 2 diodes (so now there we have half of bridge rectifier) to test in what setup it will work more stable (diode on GND, diode on VCC in and both diodes installed).

Even with 1V voltage drop Sidecar SAMS & TIPI should work stable - for THT & LS components +4VDC is enough, 3v3 ldo regulator in tipi doesnt need more than 4VDC too 

• Like 1

My 32k is already disabled on my NanoPeb, because it fried one day, even though the rest of the NanoPeb works fine, I have no 32k.. doesn't matter because I have no bus to connect anything up to the nano side of things EVEN if I wanted...

Oh how did my 32k burn? I connected a speech synth to the side powered up and smelled something, then I saw something like smoke, yup. Then I screamed, cussed.. maybe the other way around, then a week later I decided to see if it was completely dead, and found that it did still function, but size reported no expansion.

Edited by GDMike

3 minutes ago, GDMike said:

My 32k is already disabled on my NanoPeb, because it fried one day, even though the rest of the NanoPeb works fine, I have no 32k.. doesn't matter because I have no bus to connect anything up to the nano side of things EVEN if I wanted...

Oh how did my 32k burn? I connected a speech synth to the side powered up and smelled something, then I saw something like smoke, yup. Then I screamed, cussed.. maybe the other way around, then a week later I decided to see if it was completely dead, and found that it did still function, but size reported no expansion.

Ok, but is there any other way to disable rampack in nanopeb :D Other than burning or phisical removing onboard 32k chip?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a NanoPEB.  I bought a 32K side car a few years ago and fried the RAM because (like a dummy), I didn't realize the card didn't have a 7805 or anything to regulate the voltage.  Looks like the NanoPEB doesn't either.  Which is a little disappointing.  Shoot...I bet it wouldn't be too hard to remove the jack and put a tiny board in it's place with a properly regulated jack.

Note to designers...please regulate your power!  Sometimes we make a mistake and plug in 12V DC wall warts in these things without thinking!  (yeah...shame on me but I did it)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbmeeks said:

Note to designers...please regulate your power!

I second that!  I understand trying to cut costs or make things small, but one should consider the 'human factor' (the users) when designing equipment.  With so many wall warts in homes these days, the odds of having someone plug the wrong one in is not non-existent.  Also, you never know when a transient spike could hit or your power supply could fail.  Stuff happens.

• Like 1

It seems that you are reading my mind :)

Yesterday I'v been talking with Greg about replacing barrel plug with mini-USB port to protect users from overvoltage or/and polarity issues.

My point of view is that everybody got some old, spare USB mobile charger at their home.

3D printed case will still fit, because USB port will seat exactly in place where old DC plug was in my first PCB version.

PS. prototype PCB manufacturing was bit delayed, but at the moment DHL got it and package is on the way to my place

TI99-SidecarSAMS-final-usb.png

Edited by tdididit
  • Like 5

Thanks for the update! 

Goddamn.  This is the most excited I've been about a TI-99/4A related development since Dragon's Lair. 

I mean, it feels like Sideport SAMS is the last major piece of the puzzle, to make sideport expansion no sacrifice at all, for us no-PEB sideport plebs (in my case, condo space economy and a very busy tech workspace as it is just makes a PEB almost impossible).

A future where developers can develop for SAMS knowing that there's a significant installed base, and anyone can jump on the bandwagon via Arcadeshopper is a beautiful thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ksarul said:

And I'll keep making the PEB version for those with the full-blown expansion too, so this will just serve to make the market for SAMS memory larger--a good thing as it makes it something developers can target as part of a current hardware baseline.

I, for one, don't intend to go back to 32k. ;)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

I have a question:

Are the dimensions of the new 1024K sidecar EXACTLY the same as the Jedimatt42 32K version?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to know if it will fit in one of these...

CASE.png.c10434e06560adde67917fef5e538d06.png

Yes it is. When I start to design SAMS board, the first what I did was import Jedimatt42 32K board gerbers to have plugs, drills placement and dimensions of his interface.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tdididit said:

You should talk with Greg :) 

Like I told before I designed it on his official request.

He payed me for the design and this board will be available at arcadeshopper.com only

Ah, okay!  I've not been following the thread until lately.  I just checked his site, but did not see listed yet.  I'll keep an eye out.  

Just now, --- Ω --- said:

Ah, okay!  I've not been following the thread until lately.  I just checked his site, but did not see listed yet.  I'll keep an eye out.  

Hehe, I think he is sleeping and doesn't know yet that Sidecar SAMS passed the tests :)

I think that on a days he will start pre-order or just put more detailed informations on his website

• Thanks 1