Sign in to follow this  
jrhodes

Sideport SAMS?

I would like to see a SAMS memory card designed to go on the side port in place of the 32k, and still have the ability to connect the TIPI to it.

A setup of TI > FG99 > Speech > SAMS > TIPI , without needing a PEB would be awsome.

Edited by jrhodes
  • Like 2

Personally, I have considered something that sits UNDER the 99 (like a pedestal), with a pass-through on the sidecar port.

That would give you plenty of board real-estate.  (One of the objections to a sidecar SAMS, was that the board would be prohibitively large.  FarmerPotato took it as a personal challenge, and did a quick and dirty PCB CAD mockup showing it could be done in a suitably small package if more modern SMD components were used. However, the objection was that such a device would not be hobbyist DIY friendly.)

For the "pedestal" idea, I was thinking a combination of an 80col adapter, a SAMS, a speech, an RS232 and centronics port, and possibly an FDC, with a sidecar passthrough.

(Picture: about 3/4 to 1" thick, it sits beneath the TI, with a plastic "Wall" that is about the same thickness on the right-hand side. This has the "TI Shoe" shape, and mates up with the side of the TI, and is where the sidecar port is. Said sidecar port is a "T" branch, with the leg of the T fed into the pedestal, and the rightmost side terminating in another sidecar connector. On the back, it has a graphics out for 80col, an RS232, and a centronics port. In the space occupied by the pedestal's thickness on the sidecar side, there is an FDC connector behind a "kick-out" door.)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrhodes said:

I would like to see a SAMS memory card designed to go on the side port in place of the 32k, and still have the ability to connect the TIPI to it.

A setup of TI > FG99 > Speech > SAMS > TIPI , without needing a PEB would be awsome.

At the Chicago Faire (2-Nov-2019), Klaus (kl99) gave a report on the recent TI Treff. He said that ralphb (creator of FlashROM, FinalGROM) brought his sidecar SSD99 which unfortunately broke down before the demo. It will provide 1MB SAMS as well as the usual functions.

I don't know if Ralph has the further expansion connector planned, or if  so whether it might be a 44-pin card edge or 40-pin JediMatt42 connector (for TiPi).

I was in process of installing a standard 1MB SAMS in an old TI-99/4 side car.  I haven't finished it due to hands and fingers that are no longer capable of soldering, at any size (SMT or otherwise!!!)!  At the time I started this project it was aimed at my CF7A+ & 3 NanoPEB systems, rather than TIPI.

So for me, any such product using SMT, would have to be a finished product; but for the TI community, I do give it two thumbs up.

Erik Piehl's TinyPEB was looking good, but I think he's set that aside for now. His Icy99 FPGA project could actually fit the bill if if set up with a SAMS approach. (Albeit only 256k).

I actually sent him the game files for my CRPG to test on the TinyPEB and it worked just fine. :)