IGNORED

Opcode ColecoVision wishlist....

opcode

Will Pacman Collection DX, Space Invaders Collection DX, Maze of Galious, Lady Bug Arcade, and other advertised games be released in 2020?

I am rethinking things. MSX stuff is now saturated. May guarantee a color line release, not premium releases with expensive packaging. Pac-Man DX is a sure thing since it is done since 2018 and packaging was printed in 2016. Lady Bug is still an option.
But I would like to push the envelope a bit, do some stuff you can’t get anywhere else.

Pengo was done like 30%. Arkanoid about 80%. But those are fairly simple ports, hardly pushing any envelope.

And with SGM2/OMNI coming, I would like stuff that can be shared between platforms, since I am just one guy (for the time being).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I am rethinking things. MSX stuff is now saturated. May guarantee a color line release, not premium releases with expensive packaging. Pac-Man DX is a sure thing since it is done since 2018 and packaging was printed in 2016. Lady Bug is still an option. But I would like to push the envelope a bit, do some stuff you can’t get anywhere else.  Pengo was done like 30%. Arkanoid about 80%. But those are fairly simple ports, hardly pushing any envelope.  

And with SGM2/OMNI coming, I would like stuff that can be shared between platforms, since I am just one guy (for the time being).

Disappointed that you're rethinking some of these games, as I've been looking forward to seeing them. I'd be fine without the fancy packaging, but I do prefer full instruction manuals.    

As for the cross-platform games between the SGM2 and Omni, my concern would be that games offered for sale for the SGM2 prior to the Omni being released will still be available for purchase at the Omni's launch date. I'm very interested in the Omni, but not the SGM2 - I'm completely done with old finicky Coleco hardware, as I now own a Phoenix to play all Coleco and SGM games, so for me the SGM2 is not an option. Thus, the continued availability of those games released for the SGM2 prior to the Omni's launch date would be vital for my decision to purchase an Omni.

Disappointed that you're rethinking some of these games, as I've been looking forward to seeing them. I'd be fine without the fancy packaging, but I do prefer full instruction manuals. 
As for the cross-platform games between the SGM2 and Omni, my concern would be that games offered for sale for the SGM2 prior to the Omni being released will still be available for purchase at the Omni's launch date. I'm very interested in the Omni, but not the SGM2 - I'm completely done with old finicky Coleco hardware, as I now own a Phoenix to play all Coleco and SGM games, so for me the SGM2 is not an option.

Ok, noted about Maze of Galious.

Noted about the CV hardware. I understand where you coming from, but I am sure there are still purists out there that prefer the original, particularly for the fact that F18A doesn’t display the proper aspect ratio of the Texas video chip, AFAIK. But I understand some of the other issues.

As for SGM2, we designed the cartridge so that games can be programmed locally, so that cartridges for any game can be produced at any time.

• Like 1

Noted about the CV hardware. I understand where you coming from, but I am sure there are still purists out there that prefer the original, particularly for the fact that F18A doesn’t display the proper aspect ratio of the Texas video chip, AFAIK. But I understand some of the other issues.

As for SGM2, we designed the cartridge so that games can be programmed locally, so that cartridges for any game can be produced at any time.

Fully understand about the purist view. I used to feel that way myself, but when I've gone through multiple Colecovision systems, dealing with constant problems every time, and at the same time never having a single hardware issue with my 32 year old NES, my 28 year old Genesis, and my 27 year old SNES, it was time to throw in the towel.

Great to hear about the cartridges being locally programmed and produced by you! That's a huge plus!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, opcode said:

While it's true that a lot of MSX (and SG-1000) games have been ported to the ColecoVision, there can never be too many multiscreen platformers. If you can be convinced to do one more MSX port, it should be Maze of Galious. You've had dibs on this port for years, after all.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

While it's true that a lot of MSX (and SG-1000) games have been ported to the ColecoVision, there can never be too many multiscreen platformers. If you can be convinced to do one more MSX port, it should be Maze of Galious. You've had dibs on this port for years, after all.  atariage_icon_smile.gif

Alright, 2 votes for MoG. That is mostly done anyways. And with that I hope to get 5 of my promised but never released stuff out next year. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

What are you basing that on? Last I checked, 640x480 is the same aspect ratio as 256x192.

I am talking about pixel aspect ratio (PAR), which is 1.143 in the TMS9918, meaning the pixel is wider than taller. F18A is probably VGA, with PAR of 0.975 (slightly taller than wider). So CV games using F18A look horizontally compressed. 

IMG_0871.thumb.jpg.2dcd6c5e61f2fcb6007e73994e4a8b69.jpg

IMG_0870.thumb.jpg.728b7ad9f5e5b4d37ac8548aebc90e4e.jpg

4dfb40b3e2edaf1440e2d5387711c4cf.jpg

6d22bde5070dd0c92fd2436320a14e8f.jpg

13 minutes ago, opcode said:

I am talking about pixel aspect ratio (PAR), which is 1.143 in the TMS9918, meaning the pixel is wider than taller. F18A is probably VGA, with PAR of 0.975 (slightly taller than wider). So CV games using F18A look horizontally compressed. 

I'm stepping way outside the bounds of my knowledge, but I'll chance it.  Although the TMS9918 may have a PAR of 1.143, when this is displayed on a 4:3 CRT as originally intended wouldn't the effective PAR that the eye sees be lower?  So, with the F18A displaying VGA (which is 4:3 albeit with a lower PAR), on a modern display be displaying an image that has the same overall aspect ratio (4:3) as how the CV looked on a 4:3 CRT?

I'm stepping way outside the bounds of my knowledge, but I'll chance it.  Although the TMS9918 may have a PAR of 1.143, when this is displayed on a 4:3 CRT as originally intended wouldn't the effective PAR that the eye sees be lower?  So, with the F18A displaying VGA (which is 4:3 albeit with a lower PAR), on a modern display be displaying an image that has the same overall aspect ratio (4:3) as how the CV looked on a 4:3 CRT?

I don’t think that is how it works, unless you adjust your CRT to compress the image. Dot clock is 5.37Mhz on the TMS. A square pixel requires a dot clock of 6.14Mhz. I know that because OMNI uses that clock and we played with a number of clocks including 5.37. So pixel in a real TMS is indeed wider than taller.

So F18A suffers from the fact it started as a VGA compatible device. Unless that changed with the new HDMI version and I am not aware of.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, opcode said:

If you were going to ask me anything ColecoVision game or hardware related, what would it be? (Other than DK, which we aren’t going to openly discuss here).

I am planning for 2020.

I’d still like to see the long overdue true trackball hack of centipede so it can be played like it was in the arcade rather than in a joystick mode. I also have an adapter that lets me use usb mice and trackballs as the roller controller in true trackball mode so it would be nice to have more than a couple games that work with it. The true trackball hacks in the 2600 section are very popular even though they could be played with the trak-balls in joystick mode because it makes them more like the arcade. 

• Like 1

I would like to see some great tools we junior devs in training can use to help us understand and make our own stuff on the Omni.

As far as games go I think the Omni would be perfect for Two Tigers.  That was a great co-op / dogfight 2 player game that I believe has never been on any console, the sprites in that Midway game seem like a perfect fit, not to mention a great 2 player game.

I would like to see how / if possible giant sprites made up of many sprites would work to allow for very large enemies or perhaps to be used in a fighting type game?

I know you had mentioned that the processor in the Omni is compatible with the one in the Colecovision, seeing as the Coleco is Z80, I would like to learn some more about the graphics, sound and I/O interfaces and how they interact with the Colecovision if at all?

I am looking forward to the Omni as it looks like an amazing sprite and music console.