IGNORED

Opcode ColecoVision wishlist....

opcode

Collectorvision is putting out Phoenix (yes, the arcade game) thank God. They have a great track record of delivering the games

This post reminds me why I mostly left the ColecoVision scene. I sense the bitterness here. Why should I care? Am I a tool, where if you don’t get what you want from me you don’t like me? If I say Castlevania is coming out for the OMNI, someone posts “release it for the Phoenix”. I say no and the person gets upset, we should be a community!

I will try to deliver whatever major broken promises I have made next year and move on to new life, OMNI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My current wish list:

Qix - Taito

Bubble Bobble Taito

Monaco GP/Pro Monaco GP Sega, with Wheel support

Disco No. 1 Data East

Mr. Do's Wild Ride Universal

Cliff Hanger - Stern, by Opcode developed Colecovision Laserdisc add on :D

Don't worry Opcode, many people appreciate what you done for the Colecovision community.

• Like 2

My current wish list:

Qix - Taito

Bubble Bobble – Taito

Monaco GP/Pro Monaco GP – Sega, with Wheel support

Disco No. 1 Data East

Mr. Do's Wild Ride – Universal

Cliff Hanger - Stern, by Opcode developed Colecovision Laserdisc add on [emoji3]

Don't worry Opcode, many people appreciate what you done for the Colecovision community.  

Thank you! You know, I must confess. Bubble Bobble is the kind of challenge I would love to take. We have been gravitating towards the same old same pre-crash arcade stuff for decades now. Yes, we love them, but maybe it is time to try some more advanced stuff....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Maybe my wishlist is too basic but i'm expecting SGM2 to delivery arcade perfect ports of the following ports

Zaxxon & Super Zaxxon

Lady bug

Pepper II

Popeye

Frenzy

The above is more of the same old same old Opcode said they'd rather avoid.  Surely any CV fan would have already played these games to death and prettier versions aren't really enough, especially as homebrews are soooo darn expensive. I personally want new games.  The only exception for me would be Zaxxon.  The choppy scrolling bugs me so much, I've not played it much.  I'd love an arcade quality, creamy smooth scrolling version of that.  Would also love some of the other possibilities Opcode have mentioned as possible Omni titles such as 1942, Commando, Tiger Heli and Rygar.  If CV versions are done as well as Omni, then f18a compatibility would have to be implemented for improved graphics and smooth scrolling.  

5 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

The above is more of the same old same old Opcode said they'd rather avoid.  Surely any CV fan would have already played these games to death and prettier versions aren't really enough, especially as homebrews are soooo darn expensive. I personally want new games.  The only exception for me would be Zaxxon.  The choppy scrolling bugs me so much, I've not played it much.  I'd love an arcade quality, creamy smooth scrolling version of that.  Would also love some of the other possibilities Opcode have mentioned as possible Omni titles such as 1942, Commando, Tiger Heli and Rygar.  If CV versions are done as well as Omni, then f18a compatibility would have to be implemented for improved graphics and smooth scrolling.  

Where can i play a perfect arcade port of Popeye or Moon Patrol at home?(aside from MAME) seriously if these early 80 games are not in the SGM2 future, then im not intersested...i have the mid to late 80's games covered with my Pc engine,NES, Genesis consoles.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ZilogZ80 said:

Where can i play a perfect arcade port of Popeye or Moon Patrol at home?(aside from MAME) seriously if these early 80 games are not in the SGM2 future, then im not intersested...i have the mid to late 80's games covered with my Pc engine,NES, Genesis consoles.

WIP...

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, MarcusFrom1982 said:

Collectorvision is putting out Phoenix (yes, the arcade game) thank God. They have a great track record of delivering the games

Wow,did not know that. Very excited to hear such news. Love the Atari 2600 version but have always wanted to see versions on all systems just to play and compare them all. Thanks for the info!

Opcode,it looks really great?  One thing you've done that allot of ports to console failed to do is you've added the ability to adjust your speed in mid air. I think the Atari 5200 is the only one to do this. Not sure about all the versions released across computers,just consoles is what I'm speaking about though. It really does make a difference,especially when you play on Championship level where things get really crazy and its pretty much a requirement for adjusting speeds while in the air. Looking great so far,thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Hello,

Well if your Just looking for Ideas for the Omni system and also Colecovision here's a bunch. 

Good luck with your Omni system.  Lots of potential for some new old school games.  :)

-----

Mr. Do - A nice Arcade port of the first Mr. Do.  Lets face it the Colecovision port of Mr. Do isn't the greatest, but it's the best version of the time.

Boulder Dash - The MSX and Commadore 64 versions are superior to the Colecovision version.  You could even add more levels.

Jumpman - Colecovision has Jumpman Jr. and there was also the actual Jumpman game.  Maybe a port of Jumpman with new stuff or a totally new game.

Dragon Warrior - A Randomized game from what the Nes version has.  Or even a new RPG that functions something like Dragon Warrior 1 - 4.  Your own graphics and IP.

Bubble Bobble - The MSX version is ok at best.  If it was more like the Nes version with Randomized levels it would be fun.  Maybe some type of new mechanic or even custom graphics so you could make your own IP.

Castlevania - A totally new castlevania game with your cool looking engine.  All new levels, maybe add in whip angles, and possibly more playable characters.  Or even your own graphics and IP.

A beat em up game - Something along the lines of Mighty Final Fight or River City Ransom.  Your own graphics and IP.

A generic wrestling game - Your own graphics and IP.

Donkey Kong 3 - Your own graphics and IP because the big N would say no.

Donkey Kong - You have the engine programmed.  Why not keep the mechanics and make it a totally new game that's your own.  New levels and graphics and your own IP.  Heck you could use the same graphics from the above suggestion.  :)

Donkey Kong Jr. - Make it your own using the same game mechanics with all new levels using the graphics from above two suggestions.  Now you got yourself a Trilogy.  Ha.

Some type of space shooter.  -  Something with some complexity like Solaris on Atari has.  But maybe have some alternating play styles to what Solaris, Starwars on Coleco, and R-type had to mix everything up.  Obviously your own graphics and IP.

Dig Dug Style - Will need some good thought to pre laid out levels.  No Digging.  Only up/down lanes that are pre setup with quick enemies.  Enemies can change lanes.  Can only walk and shoot up/down.  Jump to the left and right lane are buttons 1 and 2.  Button 3 shoots.  Obviously your own graphics and IP.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 6:11 PM, Zinister said:

Donkey Kong 3 - Your own graphics and IP because the big N would say no.

Donkey Kong - You have the engine programmed.  Why not keep the mechanics and make it a totally new game that's your own.  New levels and graphics and your own IP.  Heck you could use the same graphics from the above suggestion.  :)

Donkey Kong Jr. - Make it your own using the same game mechanics with all new levels using the graphics from above two suggestions.  Now you got yourself a Trilogy.  Ha.

This sounds like a great idea to me!

On another note, some arcade games I'd like to see with an enhanced treatment (extra levels, enemies, etc):

Congo Bongo

Mr. Do!

Lasso (maybe some extra animal types to catch with different AI, another enemy type, and/or another environment)

Pengo

Time Tunnel (this one could definitely use a graphical makeover and an extra level or two)

Tutankham

Wild Western (the controls would have to be figured out. In MAME, I set it up so you can aim by holding a button down while moving the joystick. The game isn't as frantic as something like Robotron and I find this control scheme works pretty well for the pace of the game)

Edited by Ramses

Mat Mania or Mania Challenge or similar game 

Zoo Keeper

Updated Omega Race with different layouts and bonus levels like Scramble sections 

A Gorf like game with levels from different games. Like 1 Donkey Kong level 1, 2 DK jr level 3, 3 Mario Bros level?, 4 regular Mario Bros level 2, 5 a level you design. 

Edited by syn

Sort of off topic, but I don’t want to cause any major stir, so I will post here anyways. I just got Retro Gamer magazine #200, and the very first feature is about Amico. And for my surprise it has mostly nothing to do with OMNI. They said it was going to be 2D only, so I was expecting the same retro style pixel graphics as we are using in OMNI. Instead what I see is a bunch of screenshots that look all sort of 3Dish, like something created for smart phones. So no matter how they spin that I will have to say: I have my doubts they can pull that off. And from the specs alone, that isn’t the same experience we are getting from OMNI or Phoenix. Looks like they are using some generic smart phone chipset.

31e42c4463398b7c0d915ff0c02118aa.jpg

37 minutes ago, opcode said:

Sort of off topic, but I don’t want to cause any major stir, so I will post here anyways. I just got Retro Gamer magazine #200, and the very first feature is about Amico. And for my surprise it has mostly nothing to do with OMNI. They said it was going to be 2D only, so I was expecting the same retro style pixel graphics as we are using in OMNI. Instead what I see is a bunch of screenshots that look all sort of 3Dish, like something created for smart phones. So no matter how they spin that I will have to say: I have my doubts they can pull that off. And from the specs alone, that isn’t the same experience we are getting from OMNI or Phoenix. Looks like they are using some generic smart phone chipset.

31e42c4463398b7c0d915ff0c02118aa.jpg

Tallarico has specified it is 2.5D, which I take to mean enough power to make 2D look 3D, but does not use expanding/contracting polygons to create the sort of 3D seen with PS1/N64. Whether it will be able to achieve the "3D" of cart chip acceleration, like SNES Star Fox, I guess we will see.

image-asset.jpeg?format=2500w

nightstalker.png

512;320;0f0044d5d42b5e06fc25a4327fd5ab1d

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, opcode said:

No matter how they want to call it, it looks definitively modern, not what I was expecting. What is good news for me I guess.

The new games are definitely 21st century. The middle one is an enhanced version of the original Night Stalker, more early 1990s, with the last one the full-blown remake.

• Like 1

The new games are definitely 21st century. The middle one is an enhanced version of the original Night Stalker, more 1990-ish, with the last one the full blown-remake.

I wonder, how are they planing to convince average to casual players to expend $150+ on this instead of, let’s say, a Switch? To play Moon Patrol and Atari classics? I mean, one thing is to sell this to the retro gamer enthusiast that visit AtariAge every day, or the die hard Intellivision fan, but what is the size of such a market. Can they live from just that niche group? Not to mention that many purists may be turned off by the modern graphics.

Anyway, very different demographic they are going after.

20 minutes ago, opcode said:

I wonder, how are they planing to convince average to casual players to expend $150+ on this instead of, let’s say, a Switch? To play Moon Patrol and Atari classics? I mean, one thing is to sell this to the retro gamer enthusiast that visit AtariAge every day, or the die hard Intellivision fan, but what is the size of such a market. Can they live from just that niche group? Not to mention that many purists may be turned off by the modern graphics.

Anyway, very different demographic they are going after.

75% of their games will be brand new original couch co-op. Yeah, they are not really competing with the retro-market or PS4/5, Switch. Seems more like an entirely couch-co-op Wii. The controllers resemble the original Intellivision controllers but they have the screen and motion controls of an iphone-gone-console controller. Also, like top-level Andriod games you can play on your TV simultaneously with 2-8 other people in the same room. I believe they are mostly targeting group and family play, although they will also have one player modes. It won't have the pointer/mouse wand type function of the Wii (no IR sensor bar).

• Like 1

I really liked the Amico's approach to handicapping gamers.  Since all the games are multiplayer, how do you keep it fun for the noobs?  Give them extra health, bigger paddles, etc.  Also their approach to multiplayer is pretty interesting: on games like Moon Patrol, say player one is the tank at the bottom, while players two thru four are the space ships dropping the bombs.  And when player one dies, player two becomes the tank and player one becomes a space ship, and so on.

Tommy has said that he wants people to start playing together, most of the games are designed like that.

• Like 1

I really liked the Amico's approach to handicapping gamers.  Since all the games are multiplayer, how do you keep it fun for the noobs?  Give them extra health, bigger paddles, etc.  Also their approach to multiplayer is pretty interesting: on games like Moon Patrol, say player one is the tank at the bottom, while players two thru four are the space ships dropping the bombs.  And when player one dies, player two becomes the tank and player one becomes a space ship, and so on.

Tommy has said that he wants people to start playing together, most of the games are designed like that.

All of that is nice if they were aiming a very niche market of a few thousand people. Today’s entertainment world sells at the strength of familiar brands. None of that is. There is a different between a couple of guys doing this as a sort of hobby, and a team of seasoned people, with a full company infrastructure doing this as a business. You have to sell at least hundreds of thousands to make it work.

So here is the plan, for Q1 2020. Release Pac-Man DX and a certain long waited game. Long waited game will require a very unusual distribution method. It will involve sending me a particular original CV cartridge that isn't working properly and that requires fixing. I will then fix the cartridge and send it back to you. Luckily you will be able to play your beloved pack-in again.

Hardware wise I will be beta testing Super Game Controller and SGM2.

After those I will have to decide: I can get one more major SGM1 release, or I can focus 100% on the SGM2/OMNI. Will see and CollectorVision may have a saying on this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, opcode said:

So here is the plan, for Q1 2020. Release Pac-Man DX and a certain long waited game. Long waited game will require a very unusual distribution method. It will involve sending me a particular original CV cartridge that isn't working properly and that requires fixing. I will then fix the cartridge and send it back to you. Luckily you will be able to play your beloved pack-in again.

Hardware wise I will be beta testing Super Game Controller and SGM2.

After those I will have to decide: I can get one more major SGM1 release, or I can focus 100% on the SGM2/OMNI. Will see and CollectorVision may have a saying on this.

Is it 100% certain that you will release arcade perfect ports of classics fore the SGM2?(Zaxxon, Front Line etc..) or maybe Collectorvision will?